Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

LAZYNETJUNKIE!!!!! Welcome the hell back! :) Where have you been!? How long has it been?! Great to hear from you again!

Working, busy with alot.. I've been lurking here every so often.

Regardless of unions or whatever other obstacle; that shouldn't stop WGN (or WBBM for that matter) from attempting to make, at the very least, modifications to their set. Heck, at one point, it seemed like MAQ' was rolling out a new set/update every 12-15 months.

WGN's and WBBM's current management don't care about things like sets, graphics, music, "flashiness" etc.. Those are the last things on their list. Alot of the same old, same old Chicago station/newsroom management that are stuck in their old ways and thinking people only watch because of talent.. WBBM will only make cosmetic (graphic and music) changed because of corporate orders/mandate. It's a good thing WLS and WFLD got good bosses that came from other markets to finally shake some things up around here. WMAQ is smart for following in their direction too.

• Like 5

So is that why, 12 years later, Tribune still can't budget a new set for WGN?

Tribune creates one big pool of capital money each year, then all 42 stations have to compete for a piece of it. Your new field cameras are competing against someone else's live truck or spot server. Priority goes to items needed to keep the station on the air and to air commercials. Everything else is a begging battle that goes on all year. Capital money for a set only goes high on the list if it is part of a building remodel or construction, such as L.A. or OKC. Otherwise, sets are given the same consideration as filing cabinets. If you got one 15 years ago and it hasn't fallen over yet, you don't need a new one.

• Like 1

Dont be surprised. WGN has been waking up Chicagoans at 4am for 6 years plus CLTV wakes up at 4am every day.

That's not my point. WFLD basically don't have viewers for their 4:30am, so why add another half an hour of dead air?

Now three stations with a 4am? There's no need. #TooMuchNews

That's not my point. WFLD basically don't have viewers for their 4:30am, so why add another half an hour of dead air?

Now three stations with a 4am? There's no need. #TooMuchNews

So you're saying that Nashville (4 stations at 4am) or Indy (3 stations at 4am) offers #TooMuchNews? I'm not surprised WFLD is going to it because eventually, I can see all of Chicago and more stations in more markets going to 4:00am. I'd bet you complained when everybody started expanding to 4:30am. But look at it now... the majority is up at 4:30am so going to 4:00am won't be a surprise for me.

Oh and its four if you count CLTV.

• Like 1

So you're saying that Nashville (4 stations at 4am) or Indy (3 stations at 4am) offers #TooMuchNews? I'm not surprised WFLD is going to it because eventually, I can see all of Chicago and more stations in more markets going to 4:00am. I'd bet you complained when everybody started expanding to 4:30am. But look at it now... the majority is up at 4:30am so going to 4:00am won't be a surprise for me.

Oh and its four if you count CLTV.

I'm saying these crazy news expansions has gotten way out of hand. Stations can't air other sort of programming, so they're taking the easy way out of adding yet another newscasts. Where is the balance? Where is it? There's absolutely none when you replace a show for another half-hour (or hour) of news. There's no room to breathe. I'm suffocating with these endless hours of news. It is not good for non-news viewers (and I'm not talking about cable or subchannels or over-the-top).

You just can't ride on airing endless hours of news and nothing else.

Still don't know why 7 hasn't expanded to 4am. I would've thought that 2 newer anchors without the leverage of their predecessors would have opened the door to adding the extra half hour.

I do admit however, before this sudden announcement, the only station I thought would expand to 4am before WFLD was Channel 7.

• Like 6

I'm saying these crazy news expansions has gotten way out of hand. Stations can't air other sort of programming, so they're taking the easy way out of adding yet another newscasts. Where is the balance? Where is it? There's absolutely none when you replace a show for another half-hour (or hour) of news. There's no room to breathe. I'm suffocating with these endless hours of news. It is not good for non-news viewers (and I'm not talking about cable or subchannels or over-the-top).

You just can't ride on airing endless hours of news and nothing else.

I do admit however, before this sudden announcement, the only station I thought would expand to 4am before WFLD was Channel 7.

News is cheap. All you need to know.

• Like 2

I don't care how cheap it is. It's still a complete waste, nevertheless.

But it's a business... if showing 3 hours of hamsters running on a wheel in prime time made money they'd show that. Would it be a waste? Probably but that isn't the point...

• Like 1

But it's a business... if showing 3 hours of hamsters running on a wheel in prime time made money they'd show that. Would it be a waste? Probably but that isn't the point...

So. It shouldn't stop stations from putting something else on in lieu of news. That's bullshit. I don't care if they want to avoid paying licensing fees on syndie shows. There are other options. Hell, it don't have to be a syndie show, put a local show that's not related to news. Endless hours of news is a complete waste. No viewers are going to watch your station if you're just going to put news on all day. That's not how you program your TV station as a whole. And if the viewers ain't watching, how a station going to make money? And if they're not making enough money, how they're going to sustain all those newscasts then? Just a complete waste.

Next week, WGN will have the same amount of hours of news each weekday as WHDH (12 & 1/2 hrs). That's a damn shame!!! That's #TooMuchNews

And just when news is not enough, Channel 32 is adding a (Ugh!) 4am, beginning April 10th. What a waste.

I'll take an additional 30 minutes of news over a 4th airing (within a 24 hr. period) of TMZ any day.

• Like 5

Rick DiMaio made his re-appearance for the first time in a couple of years to fill in for Mark Strehl. If memory serves me correct, he hadn't filled in since like 2012? Since being dumped as Chief years back..

I totally forgot he returned before. I do remember him popping up on CBS2 a few times.

Just a couple of notes....

Rick Dimaio (former WFLD Chief Meteorologist) is filling in tonight. Unsure if they plan to bring him back into the fold as weekend meteorologist (Tammie's replacement). Strangely enough, he filled in for a few days/weeks when they fired Amy Freeze (his successor) a few years back.

Evan Fitzgerald has joined FOX 35 WOFL/Orlando as a sports anchor/reporter. He spent about 2-3 yrs. at WFLD.

Just a couple of notes....

Rick Dimaio (former WFLD Chief Meteorologist) is filling in tonight. Unsure if they plan to bring him back into the fold as weekend meteorologist (Tammie's replacement). Strangely enough, he filled in for a few days/weeks when they fired Amy Freeze (his successor) a few years back.

Evan Fitzgerald has joined FOX 35 WOFL/Orlando as a sports anchor/reporter. He spent about 2-3 yrs. at WFLD.

When did Evan leave?

When did Evan leave?

It was only recently that he revealed he was headed to WOFL. He had been off the air for weeks (likely preparing for the move to Orlando). I figured Evan would move on (at some point) when they shifted George to sports.

• Like 2

Rick's freelancing until June while the search for a new meteorologist plays out.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/04/03/robservations-tribune-unveils-new-platform-comments/#more-13834

They removed the job posting for a meteorologist, so this could turn into a permanent thing for Rick (or they are not in a hurry to start the search & pulled the posting).

Starting tonight/today @ Midnight, they will air (an edited down, 30 min.) rebroadcast of the 9P news.