Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

2011-2013 I believe

That would've been my guess, too. Anna and Corey were moved to GDC in 2010, and she left in 2013, and I know the set was only used within that timeframe. By the time Anna exited, they were back in the main set.

• Like 1

Not that we needed it, but here's some unofficially official confirmation..."WFLD-TV/FOX 32 will be hosting its newscasts from a temporary set for the next month or so (surprisingly doing so during the important February sweeps period). This is because a new, state-of-the-art set is being constructed for the station, which should be completed later in March"

By the way, is it sad that the temp set actually looks better than the set it's replacing? The blue lit panels, the simplicity, dare I say, it's almost elegant.

497537566_bandicam2017-02-0921-55-36-096.thumb.png.cce1a363127f5f7129e414b1f4268162.png

• Like 1

Not that we needed it, but here's some unofficially official confirmation..."WFLD-TV/FOX 32 will be hosting its newscasts from a temporary set for the next month or so (surprisingly doing so during the important February sweeps period). This is because a new, state-of-the-art set is being constructed for the station, which should be completed later in March"

By the way, is it sad that the temp set actually looks better than the set it's replacing? The blue lit panels, the simplicity, dare I say, it's almost elegant.

[ATTACH=full]3685[/ATTACH]

Maybe the desk will be shaped like a 32...

Maybe the desk will be shaped like a 32...

Don't give them any ideas, but I think it's safe bet that that will not happen.

Nope. Not sad at all. If anything, it's something to rejoice over that it's 1000x much better than the last in every sense.

I wouldn't go that far. This is the best temp (newsroom) set they have had. As far as main sets, they have had some pretty bad ones. I think the first set (once they permanently moved out of the newsroom) was some blue wood monstrosity with cardboard cutouts of various 'Chicago' buildings as a backdrop. Nothing will ever beat that as the worst set.

Don't give them any ideas, but I think it's safe bet that that will not happen.

I wouldn't go that far. This is the best temp (newsroom) set they have had. As far as main sets, they have had some pretty bad ones. I think the first set (once they permanently moved out of the newsroom) was some blue wood monstrosity with cardboard cutouts of various 'Chicago' buildings as a backdrop. Nothing will ever beat that as the worst set.

Are you referring to the set that they used up until 2006? I have so much nostalgia for that set.

• Like 1

Aren't those lighted pillars from the short lived Good Day set?

99% sure yes.

Yes they are and they haven't left the newsroom since that set.. They've just been pushed into a corner of the newsroom and moved around the newsroom for backdrop of various newsroom camera shots.

Are you referring to the set that they used up until 2006? I have so much nostalgia for that set.

Attached file to fulfill your nostalgia needs.. The original FX Group design as it looked from 1997-1999.. Complete with unnecessary white computer keyboards connected to nothing under the FOX News logos.

wfld97-01.jpg.fd2e3dd43f6a75a6a7a200e52946abc4.jpg

• Like 3

I think it brings back the nostalgia because it's the last set before the standardized O&O sets. It's the last set unique to Chicago.

Thanks for the nostalgia bomb!

(Edit: were the keyboards removed by the final years on that set, or were they always present?)

I believe the keyboards were removed sometime around 1998, before the 1999 remodel of the set.. Someone told me years back that the ND at the time thought the keyboards looked stupid when the set was constructed. However, the FX designer of that set was very adamant about them being there as a part of the design so they remained there for a few months before they were removed and trashed. Attached is a photo of the FX set in its third look with the Blyth O&O standardized anchor desk.. It's the same anchor desk they've used all the way until now.

Speaking of FX.. Wouldn't it be something if their new set was an FX job?

WFLDset04.jpg.1f1e7978103d0e0469dae189251593cd.jpg

WFLDset02.jpg.9e558af89e4656bb397aacf7e7db267f.jpg

Speaking of the newsroom... Remember when they built that newsroom set for the morning news? How long did that even last, and what year(s) was that? I don't even remember it that clearly.

It was when Jan Jeffcoat and Mike Barz were there, i'd say around 2008ish

• Like 1

It was when Jan Jeffcoat and Mike Barz were there, i'd say around 2008ish

I think you're thinking of their time in the newsroom while the outgoing set was being built and they were transitioning to HD. This is the set I think we're all talking about... https://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?threads/wfld-new-set.11389/

• Like 3

I think you're thinking of their time in the newsroom while the outgoing set was being built and they were transitioning to HD. This is the set I think we're all talking about... https://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?threads/wfld-new-set.11389/

It was 2011 when the morning news moved to the newsroom.. It wasn't the original design for the newsroom set but a lot had to be cut back due to budget reasons at the time.. The original Kevin Alter design can be seen here: http://www.kevinalter.com/portfolio_broadcast_02.html including the 2009 studio set and newsroom design commissioned by WFLD. Corporate management rejected and their only option was the Blyth set-in-a-can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I would imagine we're getting close to the debut of the new set (unless there running behind, which wouldn't surprise me for 'FLD).

My guess would be sometime this week. I believe they started dismantling the set right after Good Day ended Feb. 8th. Since we're talking about a complete gut job, it's possible more time is needed to get everything in place. We shall see...

• Like 1

My guess would be sometime this week. I believe they started dismantling the set right after Good Day ended Feb. 8th. Since we're talking about a complete gut job, it's possible more time is needed to get everything in place. We shall see...

News sets take longer (and also cost almost 3 times the amount) to complete in Chicago than other markets because of union rules.. In Chicago, news sets and the work done in the studios have to be union and follow all the local union rules. It's the main reason why the set design companies can't use their own people for set assembly/construction in Chicago and have to use local labor or go with a local company like Chicago Scenic. The various trades can't work over each other at the same time either. Only one trade at a time can perform work in the space too..

So is that why, 12 years later, Tribune still can't budget a new set for WGN?

It's a very good possibility.. Think of a news set in another major market city. The Chicago station will pay 3 times more for that exact same set to be put up here than it cost in that other city.. Mainly because of Chicago union labor costs.

Much of WGN's budget is being dumped into certain talent.. Probably much more than they're really worth. But it's the main reason too why there will be no more WGN news on WGN America. Certain talent would demand much more if they're on nationally, even if it's just a national broadcast of the local Chicago newscasts.

• Like 1

It's a very good possibility.. Think of a news set in another major market city. The Chicago station will pay 3 times more for that exact same set to be put up here than it cost in that other city.. Mainly because of Chicago union labor costs.

Except for the Texas stations, all the top 10 markets face the same crazy union rules.

If you think 3 times cost is crazy? San Francisco labor and union cost also far exceed normal.*

In addition, you must hire X number gays, X number trans ,X number disabled, X number of drug addicts, homeless, beggers ,3 legged chickens , pink unicorns, and 6 rescue pets.

*Based on official guesses by the Eatnews institute of Destitute, Fl.

• Like 2

Regardless of unions or whatever other obstacle; that shouldn't stop WGN (or WBBM for that matter) from attempting to make, at the very least, modifications to their set. Heck, at one point, it seemed like MAQ' was rolling out a new set/update every 12-15 months.

Except for the Texas stations, all the top 10 markets face the same crazy union rules.

If you think 3 times cost is crazy? San Francisco labor and union cost also far exceed normal.*

In addition, you must hire X number gays, X number trans ,X number disabled, X number of drug addicts, homeless, beggers ,3 legged chickens , pink unicorns, and 6 rescue pets.

*Based on official guesses by the Eatnews institute of Destitute, Fl.

And the set has to be made using environmentally friendly materials...