Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

Spoiler alert: it stunk. Strehl's good, but Mendez is hopeless. I like that they're taking a page from WBBM by making the weatherman the co-host. They're definitely making it an extension of the weekday show, with McPherrin, Smith, Roeper and Chavarria doing prerecorded segments and interviews. Canellis also did a commentary recap of the Blackhawks' season, but I'd imagine there'll be normal highlights when any teams are active (neither Bulls or Hawks played last night).

They did a trending story about random people in New York writing their life regrets on a chalkboard in aa park. What did the lower third say?

"WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST REGET?"

Reget. Ironic. Metaphor.

Going out on a limb here.... but did anyone actually watch the morning show?

I caught a good bit of it on Saturday. It was just your standard weekend morning newscast. The biggest disappointment was the lack of promotion. They could have something here with proper promotion and resources, but they seem to not care whether the newscast succeeds or fails. It's going to be an uphill challenge for them to gain/keep viewers.

• Like 2

My initial reaction was just in the moment, but thinking about it, who would Shiba be a step backward from? Like the poster above said, she's not a bad anchor. Maybe she's a little too bland, but most of her bad image comes from being the homewrecker that dumped Sue Simmons. No matter who followed Sue, that anchor would've become the scapegoat for management's poorly-executed plan.

• 3 weeks later...

Tom Doerr is no longer news director at WFLD...and it appears that he wasn't fired. He's moving back to his family in Florida. Even though the station's newscasts never got out of the basement under his watch, he at least helped bring some stability (both in ratings and personnel) back to a long-suffering newsroom. Best of luck to him.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wfld-news-director-steps-down/164699

• Like 1

Tom Doerr is no longer news director at WFLD...and it appears that he wasn't fired. He's moving back to his family in Florida. Even though the station's newscasts never got out of the basement under his watch, he at least helped bring some stability (both in ratings and personnel) back to a long-suffering newsroom. Best of luck to him.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wfld-news-director-steps-down/164699

Now back to the chaos and instability that was WFLD before him. Do not adjust your set :D

• Like 2

Remember the last time WFLD reporters were held to a fashion mandate? Well, those wacky characters in the front office are at it again...

http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/03/01/robservations-fox-32-staffers-seeing-red/#more-10601

It's not as bad as the no hat policy, but it's almost as stupid. I can't wait until those winter coats become mandated windbreakers and then become required polo shirts.

Remember the last time WFLD reporters were held to a fashion mandate? Well, those wacky characters in the front office are at it again...

http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/03/01/robservations-fox-32-staffers-seeing-red/#more-10601

It's not as bad as the no hat policy, but it's almost as stupid. I can't wait until those winter coats become mandated windbreakers and then become required polo shirts.

Whatever @Feder re: the red jackets. All stations have branded jackets for their on air reporters. This is not anywhere controversial.

It's not a big deal. WBAL, WMAR and WBFF (the latter two are sponsored by LL Bean and Under Armour, respectively) here all have multiple jackets and sometimes the men wear branded beanies/baseball hats. Some of the stations aren't as strict especially when it's really cold. To be honest I'm surprised WJZ doesn't have them considering they like to slap their branding on everything.

I mean it's not like WFLD will turn into KING 5 with their yellow jackets and the promotions about them.

It's not a big deal. WBAL, WMAR and WBFF (the latter two are sponsored by LL Bean and Under Armour, respectively) here all have multiple jackets and sometimes the men wear branded beanies/baseball hats. Some of the stations aren't as strict especially when it's really cold. To be honest I'm surprised WJZ doesn't have them considering they like to slap their branding on everything.

I mean it's not like WFLD will turn into KING 5 with their yellow jackets and the promotions about them.

When I become a News Director I'm gonna make a deal with Victoria's Secret and Bebe for all the female reporters clothes.

The guys will get Duluth Trading stuff.

When I become a News Director I'm gonna make a deal with Victoria's Secret and Bebe for all the female reporters clothes.

The guys will get Duluth Trading stuff.

At least the guys will be warm. A lot of reporters the past few winters have discovered the Canda Goose jackets that are down comforters and are great for snow and high wind chill conditions. I imagie some stations with slot of snow / below 0° temperatures wish they could get those but the jackets that are any different start at $625 - probably well above the limit they'd pay for a jacket. They're bulky and make the talent look huge - but they would keep the crew warm, dry and safe. But hey frost bite is worth the risk to save a few hundred.

• Like 1

Around here it's optional but every station on earth seems to have some kind of gear...

I think that's what's noteworthy here. Yes, everyone has branded gear, but optional and required are two different animals.

I think that's what's noteworthy here. Yes, everyone has branded gear, but optional and required are two different animals.

Pappas had a dress code at KMPH in the late 80-90's...

Men must all wear button down shirts and long pants. The women had to wear skirts and hose.

There were to nobody's surprise absolutely no bright spots in the ratings for 32 because nobody moved the rock it hides under to let the sun shine on it.

Oh that is sad.

It's a little tv station that has no friends.

Everyone and everything deserves to have a few friends.

There is a show on PBS about these little trains that have names and faces. One day the green engine lost all of his friends....and I felt sad.

Not a sarcastic sad, just genuine sadness for the poor little inane object

WFLD really could use a few friends.

• Like 4