Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

• 2 weeks later...

Solid election coverage tonight. Everything, I thought, was on point. Nothing went wrong, as both the guest, who I didn't catch the name of, and Mike Flannery did well analyzing and explaining, along with great reporting from, most notably, Dane Placko and Craig Wall. Plus, I love the FOX affiliate election theme.

I didn't realize the new WFLD city backdrop was digital. I'm watching the election coverage and am seeing the you decide backdrop stars are moving.

I didn't realize that either until last Nov. when they first used the election backdrop. Since the backdrop upgrade last year, they have used at least three different night backdrops and two for the morning/midday I believe. In all honesty, these digital video/images look a lot sharper and brighter, imo, than the live video WMAQ, WSNS, WGBO uses.

Yeah. I couldn't believe it when I saw the cars moving by and the water swaying. It looked to sharp and real like a really good mock picture of the city to actually be live. It's pretty awesome in all honesty. I would get a rid of the curved wood part of the wall/backdrop though where the Fox 32 logo used to hang to make it look like full panel windows similar to NBC 5. However as a universal o&o, I don't know that they'd be allowed to do that.

Sorry, I don't know technical set terms haha :/

• 2 weeks later...

Watching WFLD right now since I'm in Chicago all this week.

It's so different from KSAZ it's amazing to think they're co-owned. KSAZ has a whole separate presentation package for its opens and promos, doesn't include a forecast in its lower left bug, and has its own weather graphics that are nothing like the standard O&O package.

Watching WFLD right now since I'm in Chicago all this week.

It's so different from KSAZ it's amazing to think they're co-owned. KSAZ has a whole separate presentation package for its opens and promos, doesn't include a forecast in its lower left bug, and has its own weather graphics that are nothing like the standard O&O package.

Has KSAZ always been an O&O?

Yes, since 1997, the year Fox completed its acquisition of stations formerly owned by New World.

Well ok I gotcha. I really meant was it a station like WFLD that was bought in the 80's to be a charter FOX O&O. But that appears to be a big No.

As stated above, 'Empire' is filmed here, but the setting is NYC. While they are still behind WGN rating-wise, having a mega hit like 'Empire' as a lead-in has no doubt helped WFLD stabilize things a bit. WMAQ tends to do the same with both 'Chicago Fire' and 'PD.' For example, actors from CF/CPD hosted WMAQ's auto show last month. With more TV shows calling Chicago home these days, most of us have grown use to Empire, Prison Break. ER segments, etc.. appearing on newscasts.

As stated above, 'Empire' is filmed here, but the setting is NYC. While they are still behind WGN rating-wise, having a mega hit like 'Empire' as a lead-in has no doubt helped WFLD stabilize things a bit. WMAQ tends to do the same with both 'Chicago Fire' and 'PD.' For example, actors from CF/CPD hosted WMAQ's auto show last month. With more TV shows calling Chicago home these days, most of us have grown use to Empire, Prison Break. ER segments, etc.. appearing on newscasts.

That probably wouldn't have much residual results beyond the night that Empire physically airs.... but if 32 gets a huge bump for that one night it'll skew the averages and make things look way different than they are. They could get crushed the other 4 nights and really really crush 9 the night Empire is on and make it look competitive even if the reality is that 1 night is that way and not all 5. Fun with numbers...

This can even happen between the first 15 minutes and the last 15 minutes of a newscast... you could start tied with your next closest competitor for the first 15 minutes and then lose 1.5 ratings points in the second 15 minutes and come out in second and 3/4 of a point away in the end which makes it look less like the horse race it started as.

• 1 month later...

This is what happens when you cut beyond the bone, so none of this should come as a surprise. You have to feel for those that have to pretty much scrape together a newscast day in and day out because management, on any level, just doesn't care.

This is what happens when you cut beyond the bone, so none of this should come as a surprise. You have to feel for those that have to pretty much scrape together a newscast day in and day out because management, on any level, just doesn't care.

Interesting how hit or miss they are with their stations too.

• 1 month later...

Another EP is supposedly out at 32, this time it's Jennifer Vander Sanden.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wfld-executive-producer-reportedly-out/148777

She started as a morning producer in 2012 and been an EP since 2014.

What the heck is going on over there? I believe this was the 6 EP Good Day Chicago has had in the past 7 years. How can things get better when they never give people enough time to turn things around?

• 2 weeks later...

Tisha Lewis a Reporter/Anchor at FOX 32 is leaving for WTTG in D.C. She joined FOX 32 in 2011. Of note she is a protege and mentee of Roger Ailes. This is from a Feder article but it's behind a paywall so there's all the relevant bits.

Alexa Helms has also been let go after like a year or something.

Yes, this is how I make references about WFLD. No sources. No details. No f#cks given.

Are they still producing news?

Alexa Helms has also been let go after like a year or something.

Yes, this is how I make references about WFLD. No sources. No details. No f#cks given.

Are they still producing news?

Im gonna be honest... Feder wrote an article about that Tisha Lewis girl but I have NEVER heard of her. The turnover and lack of stability there is almost a sport in itself. A darn entertaining one too.