Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

I just noticed that the newsdesk now has the old logo at the center. Not "FOX 32 Chicago" but "FOX NEWS Chicago WFLD." I found that odd and a flashback to just a few years ago.

Could they be getting a new desk? Also worth noting is that they no longer stand altogether at the end of the newscast. I guess the new EP is getting things back in order by creating a more traditional format/newscast.

I think they've been making slow progressive changes. In the past year, they have upgraded the BAM tv wall to a large mounted plasma tv, updated the backdrop, updating technology equipment and now the news desk (replaced with old desk.. Temporarily?) and logo that used to be next to the city backdrop are gone.

I just noticed that the newsdesk now has the old logo at the center. Not "FOX 32 Chicago" but "FOX NEWS Chicago WFLD." I found that odd and a flashback to just a few years ago.

Are they trying to go back to the FOX Chicago branding or what? What is going on here? Why do they removed the FOX 32 logo from the news set?

I need to start back watching FOX 32 News to see the changes...

Are they trying to go back to the FOX Chicago branding or what? What is going on here? Why do they removed the FOX 32 logo from the news set?

I need to start back watching FOX 32 News to see the changes...

Very, very unlikely. They are probably either fixing a few things on the news desk or getting ready to replace it with a new one. I noticed at Noon there were no wide shots of the desk. Normally, they work in a few wide shots of the anchors as they transition to/from commercial breaks. Just very tight shots where you could only see the very top of the desk.

Context? What is "it" that looks good?

I suspect "it" is:

Wasn't there a monitor in that space before?

If that was there prior to the old panel re-appearing, I can pretty much tell you what happened right now: the monitor died and they needed something to fill that spot. No time to get a new panel printed, just slap the old one in there and stick a light behind it. Done.

If that was there prior to the old panel re-appearing, I can pretty much tell you what happened right now: the monitor died and they needed something to fill that spot. No time to get a new panel printed, just slap the old one in there and stick a light behind it. Done.

Not positive that there was and that makes the most sense.

The wooden look makes it bring class to it rather than it looking like a space machine with all the blue and the video monitor in the center

I 100% agree. It's a good fit. If they decide to keep it a still, instead of a monitor, of "FOX 32 Chicago" if and when they get one, I'd really like the way that matches up with the desk. Too much blue sometimes becomes overkill, kinda like ABC7.

Maybe it's all in the nostalgia?

I guess, but it also just feels right. It's not too flashy, but not too dull, even for something that, as said by Weeters earlier, is most likely a temporary fix.

I don't think it was a monitor with a moving picture before and don't remember exactly what was there, but now it's a still of "FOX 32," which is relatively small and doesn't take up the whole area like the temporary replacement did. I googled for a picture of the desk and found a Feder article where there is one picture with what I saw on the desk tonight. (Scroll to number 5) http://www.robertfeder.com/2013/12/06/eyewitness-news-better-late-as-ever/ Only difference is that the border I saw tonight was 2 different shades of gray. Light gray in width and the darker gray seen in that picture in height. So I guess it wasn't a moving monitor before, and now I'm just left saying: why have such a small logo on the desk when the space is there to make it larger? More googling shows me that WFLD has done that ever since the set debuted in 2009. I couldn't paste the link but it's a NewscastStudio piece.

If they were fixing the news desk or getting a new one why would they have removed the logo from the back wall?

The logo removal from the back wall is unrelated. Honestly, the overall look is better without it. Whatever monitor issue there was has since been fixed. They also went back to standing altogether at the end of the newscast it seems.

I don't think it was a monitor with a moving picture before and don't remember exactly what was there, but now it's a still of "FOX 32," which is relatively small and doesn't take up the whole area like the temporary replacement did. I googled for a picture of the desk and found a Feder article where there is one picture with what I saw on the desk tonight. (Scroll to number 5) http://www.robertfeder.com/2013/12/06/eyewitness-news-better-late-as-ever/ Only difference is that the border I saw tonight was 2 different shades of gray. Light gray in width and the darker gray seen in that picture in height. So I guess it wasn't a moving monitor before, and now I'm just left saying: why have such a small logo on the desk when the space is there to make it larger? More googling shows me that WFLD has done that ever since the set debuted in 2009. I couldn't paste the link but it's a NewscastStudio piece.

There was a monitor there as recently as two weeks ago. You can see the logo inset in the desk animate in this video: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153581516393797&permPage=1

There was a monitor there as recently as two weeks ago. You can see the logo inset in the desk animate in this video: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153581516393797&permPage=1

Finally got a really good look at it and was finally able to see that it is a moving monitor, so I guess the still, retro logo was just indeed a temporary fix, bummer.

Gotta say, WFLD news tonight at 9 p.m. was hilarious. Bill Bellis got down and started doing push-ups! If Evan Fitzgerald would work as the full-time sports anchor and they got a rid of Lou Canellis, I know some may say that's far from a perfect 9pm newscast, it would be perfect. They all are pretty funny and actually have personality.

I watched some of GDC the other day, and most of the 9 o'clock news another night, and I have to admit, both products have come a long way...far more watchable than even just a year ago.

The reporting core still sucks, though.

I agree with that. The station really has made great strides in news delivery. It isn't dry and boring and poorly coordinated anymore. I really like the 9 p.m. newscast in all honesty. Jeff, Dawn and Bill are a good team. I think its because of how well they connect with one another and work so well (at least from what I witness watching them on air) together that attracts me to the 9 p.m. most. Unfortunately, due to work, I can't catch Darlene and Corey expect for every so often and they're a good AM team as well. However I completely agree 100% that they need more reporters (honestly about 5-7 more) and hire a few with more experience. Even if its just on a freelance basis. I think the 9 p.m. team would be completed and would be even better if they made Corey Sports Director and 9 p.m. sports anchor. I am really hoping though that they keep Jeff, Dawn and Bill at 9!! Even the weekend has improved. I think they're trying to utilize more staff as reporters which has been a small improvement. Bomke out in the field and seeing more team coverage is much better than Tisha Lewis covering it all at night. I also think she's better fitting on the weekend with Larry. I don't want to jinx how much better things are going for the sake of WFLD has a extreme tendency to constantly change everything, but props to them this time around! At least they're trying.