Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

So the thing I really wanted to talk about right now is the fact that today's NFL game is being broadcast in terrible quality...definitely less than HD. On their SD channel, they're cropping the image at the sides instead of letterboxing. I think somebody left the weather warning crawl system on from probably earlier this morning when they were scrolling the alerts for today's snowstorm, and they never returned the channel to full HD when the crawl was over.

How the heck does one get this resolved, especially on a Sunday? Would anyone be at the station to take complaints?

So the thing I really wanted to talk about right now is the fact that today's NFL game is being broadcast in terrible quality...definitely less than HD. On their SD channel, they're cropping the image at the sides instead of letterboxing. I think somebody left the weather warning crawl system on from probably earlier this morning when they were scrolling the alerts for today's snowstorm, and they never returned the channel to full HD when the crawl was over.

How the heck does one get this resolved, especially on a Sunday? Would anyone be at the station to take complaints?

Tell somebody at their news hotline... It should be the assignment desk.

These type of technical issues (terrible video quality, etc...) are common place with them. Honestly, I don't think they know what letterboxing is much less how to fix basic technical issues, so best of luck in voicing a complaint. This is a station that had a station id/copyright graphic that only read 'All rights reserved' for what seemed like a year on every newscast before it was fixed.

I do gotta say, I really like the Jeff and Dawn team at 9pm. I also have seen an improvement in the 9pm news in my opinion. For example, they started right away with team coverage with Craig and Alexa in the field and Bill in the Weather Center. If you think about it, sadly, 2 reporters for WFLD is a lot in one newscast since they lack personnel. Idk just my opinion. Put it this way, I don't want to fall asleep anymore now that Sirott's dry humor is gone.

I do gotta say, I really like the Jeff and Dawn team at 9pm. I also have seen an improvement in the 9pm news in my opinion. For example, they started right away with team coverage with Craig and Alexa in the field and Bill in the Weather Center. If you think about it, sadly, 2 reporters for WFLD is a lot in one newscast since they lack personnel. Idk just my opinion. Put it this way, I don't want to fall asleep anymore now that Sirott's dry humor is gone.

I like Jeff's down-to-earth persona, it's easing when I'm watching the broadcast. I will admit I was a doubter when they began, but I often find myself watching WFLD @9. Jeff and Dawn are great together, Lou will be Lou, and Bill is kind of quirky funny, especially when they stand together at the end of the newscast. I partly watch because I'm waiting for Modern Family and TMZ, and because my dad would watch Robinson and Suppelsa back in the day, so I got used to FOX 32, but I like what I see. They're not THAT bad; in fact, they're very watchable.

If they were putting out this kind of newscast with Robin and Jeff #1/Bob, I'd watch more often, but I just can't with the current pair. Herndon's pretty good, and I've never had a problem with Dawn, but I'm just no impressed with them as a duo, much less as the lead anchor team. At least he's back in the main chair on the morning show, but I can't help but think that Corey McPherrin should be needs to be on the 9pm team, whether in sports, news, or even both.

I just watched a Bulls game on My50 for the first time. It's so awkward seeing a Fox 32 news commercial, and then when they come back from break on the WGN-produced telecast, they immediately tell you to check out wgntv.com.

I still can't believe that ownership bought the rights to a sports package produced by their direct competitor.

WFLD Released Traffic Reporter Sandra Solarte, who had been there since 2005. Budget cutbacks were cited as the reason. The morning traffic reports will be audio only from I-Heart Media's Total Traffic service over a map or live picture of the roads. They had apparently been using her as audio-only since July when she returned from maternity leave. So viewers won't notice much change. FOX 32 also gets a Total Traffic producer to help out with the traffic segments logistics.

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/7099-fox-32-releases-morning-traffic-reporter-sondra-solarte

I was wondering why they haven't been airing her in promos and why she hasn't been on in forever. That sucks. She was ok. I always liked her on the mornings.

Apparently she was on the air... just not on camera. I got the impression from the article that the audio-only nature of her recent reports was in preparation for the cutting of her job and switchover to this Total Traffic service, which has the exact same format.

I was thinking the same but I have been thinking about this for a while and had a feeling it was coming. I feel like after her first baby, she started to go all audio. I know I began speaking highly of them the other day but I mean honestly, how many more people can they cut? Or are they just going to keep cutting until they have no viewers of a station to operate anymore?

I was thinking the same but I have been thinking about this for a while and had a feeling it was coming. I feel like after her first baby, she started to go all audio. I know I began speaking highly of them the other day but I mean honestly, how many more people can they cut? Or are they just going to keep cutting until they have no viewers of a station to operate anymore?

I too had a feeling this would happen. She had not been seen on-air since they moved the traffic desk out of the newsroom and into a corner in the weather center (where the interactive screen once lived) last year. They just slowly reduced her role/presence on GDC and she hadn't filled any reports for the Noon show in quite some time. True that she wasn't in any promos, but neither was Corey for awhile. Nevertheless, it's a shame they pushed her out. I'm guessing she didn't get to say goodbye or thank viewers on-air..??

• 3 weeks later...

Tisha lewis (I'm shocked, she never subs) is in for Larry Yellen alongside natalie Bomke tonight at 9. Also, the FOX 32 logo that has always been next to the city backdrop is gone.

As of late, Lewis has filled in more often (on GDC, @ Noon, etc...). This move gives Lisa Chavarria a bit of a break since she has been the go-to fill-in (on weekends in particular) for awhile.The logo was removed weeks ago. Strangely enough, they added a FOX 32 logo to one of their Michigan Avenue windows (it is lit up at night).