Corpus Christi News Market

CorpusChristiNews

Hello Members! Im new around here and as you can see i am from Corpus Christi Texas. Anyone else from South Texas or around this area are welcome to discuss markets, changes, sets, anchors, reporters and etc on this thread. Anyone else not in texas are also welcomed. Corpus Christi does not have a big market when it comes to news as compared to San Antonio (Visit frequently and live watching thier news, WOAINews4 and KSAT) Houston and Dallas. Here is some info about the stations here in CC!

KIII aka 3NEWS

Affiliate: ABC

PROS:

• KIII is home to alot of proffesionals in broadcasting, You hardly see talent come in and out constantly. They have always been a #1 news station, they are one of the stations that have used the famous "Spirit of South Texas" and are always involved in the community. Though they do have some issues that need to be adressed. Their news team is too small as compared to thier rival KRIS. They have about 15 news talent. 5 Anchors, 2 Sports Anchors, 3 Meteorologists and about 5 Reporters. They used the same set going on 15 years now, although it has had small touch ups within the last two years.

Just hoping GANNETT hurrys up and ivests in this station with a new set, and grapics/website!

KRIS aka KRIS 6 News

Affiliate: NBC

•large news team, 6 Anchors, 2 Sports Anchors, 4 Meteorologists, and about 10 reporters. Recently debuted a new logo earlier this year, new set and graphics two years ago and have really stepped up thier game in terms of how they promote and present thierselves. Rarely has any news veterans, mostly recent college grads and young folks.

KZTV aka Action 10

Affilate: CBS

• KZTV once was the #1 News Station in CC (in the 60's to early 90's) in early 2000s thier news team and staff shrunk and thier budget seemed to become tight. In 2010 they were bought by a new company and are now sister stations with KRIS (they share station and reporters) they debuted a new set, graphics and how they present themselves. Although their news team is really small, 2 Anchors, 2 Sports, I Weather girl and now reporters (they use Reporters from KRIS), they also have no weekend or morning broadcasts just 5,6&19 weekdays. Most talent in S.A and Houston are KZTV alumni.

KIII-TV3 is a very popular news station, one reason why... Joe Gazin.

KRIS-TV6 is kinda all right but needs a better news set.

KZTV 10 is down the drain, needs new ownership (maybe Gray Broadcasting), get better anchors, new building and be more like KWTX.

KZTV does have a nice small updated hd set that they debuted i believe 2 years ago and also debuted new graphics and changes to their news team but they still have a very small staff and are #3 in ratings. I believe KZTV once was competitive in thier early days, then KRIS took over and then KIII. KIII is the top dog in CC, it has been for a long time. Joe Gazin is a legend in CC, he is often reffered to as "The Ron Burgundy of Corpus Christi". It's going to be hard and a very sad day when Joe Gazin decides to retire.

Hello Members! Im new around here and as you can see i am from Corpus Christi Texas. Anyone else from South Texas or around this area are welcome to discuss markets, changes, sets, anchors, reporters and etc on this thread. Anyone else not in texas are also welcomed. Corpus Christi does not have a big market when it comes to news as compared to San Antonio (Visit frequently and live watching thier news, WOAINews4 and KSAT) Houston and Dallas. Here is some info about the stations here in CC!

KIII aka 3NEWS

Affiliate: ABC

PROS:

• KIII is home to alot of proffesionals in broadcasting, You hardly see talent come in and out constantly. They have always been a #1 news station, they are one of the stations that have used the famous "Spirit of South Texas" and are always involved in the community. Though they do have some issues that need to be adressed. Their news team is too small as compared to thier rival KRIS. They have about 15 news talent. 5 Anchors, 2 Sports Anchors, 3 Meteorologists and about 5 Reporters. They used the same set going on 15 years now, although it has had small touch ups within the last two years.

Just hoping GANNETT hurrys up and ivests in this station with a new set, and grapics/website!

KRIS aka KRIS 6 News

Affiliate: NBC

•large news team, 6 Anchors, 2 Sports Anchors, 4 Meteorologists, and about 10 reporters. Recently debuted a new logo earlier this year, new set and graphics two years ago and have really stepped up thier game in terms of how they promote and present thierselves. Rarely has any news veterans, mostly recent college grads and young folks.

KZTV aka Action 10

Affilate: CBS

• KZTV once was the #1 News Station in CC (in the 60's to early 90's) in early 2000s thier news team and staff shrunk and thier budget seemed to become tight. In 2010 they were bought by a new company and are now sister stations with KRIS (they share station and reporters) they debuted a new set, graphics and how they present themselves. Although their news team is really small, 2 Anchors, 2 Sports, I Weather girl and now reporters (they use Reporters from KRIS), they also have no weekend or morning broadcasts just 5,6&19 weekdays. Most talent in S.A and Houston are KZTV alumni.

Hi and welcome to the boards! I am very familiar with that market because I go there every year or two for vacation and also have family living in the market.

KIII is far and away the best. They're always the station I watch when I go there. As you said, they are very stable and the content is great. Their resources are limited being in a small market. But, it is far better than KRIS. They are also very involved in the community as well like you said, and I always tend to see them out and sponsoring all these community events. They do have a smaller team but I think they do a great job with what they've got. Also I think they just hired a young reporter but the rest of their reporters are very experienced and have been in the market for a while. KIII could benefit from a new set but Gannett doesn't seem to like to build new sets very often. KENS is in dire need of a new set but they haven't gotten one yet. KIII has been on the same set since moving to their current studio in 2000. Actually it hasn't even been refreshed much. They just changed the sign on the desk and slightly modified the duratrans when they went HD but that's it. Also you may think their team is small but for that size market it's not too bad.

Most of KRIS' anchors and weather people are long-term talent. Now their reporters are different. They are all recent college graduates, most often from out of state, who come and go. Their product seems very amateurish. I've never really cared for it. It just doesn't seem like a good product. I think the fact their reporters are right out of school does it in for me. Also they don't have a true set. It's just done from the newsroom. They are in KZTV's old building (much newer than KRIS' former studio) so I assume space is limited for them and why it's just done in the newsroom. It's a nice newsroom though for that size market. They do work with a larger team but remember they combined with KZTV.

KZTV has changed over the years. They used to be the low budget stepchild of Corpus TV News but once Cordillera's shell took over, they changed up the presentation. After they hired their new news director a couple years ago they changed up the format again and now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they've got two men co-anchoring weeknights and they've tried to go for a harder feel than KRIS. It's a rehash of KRIS' news just with different anchors (basically the same situation KABB and WOAI are now in now that they have combined their newsroom, except WOAI and KABB have retained their separate newscasts).

KZTV also has never been #1 for the most part. It's really been between KIII and KRIS with KIII winning out most of the time. KZTV was very primitive until Cordillera took over. Yes Eagle Creek upgraded the station when they bought it but it still felt cheap when compared to KIII and KRIS.

I never get to watch KORO news while I'm there so I have no idea if it's in HD or not. I know they can't pass through local HD commercials and they have to cut to SD when ever they break away from the network.

KEDT is a small-time PBS station. I'm surprised they have their own PBS station in the first place. Their schedule is mostly up to date on weekdays, but they buy a lot of older programming for overnights and weekends.

And KUQI is a pitiful Fox affiliate. Remind me why did KDF lose Fox again?

Also don't get me started on their radio stations... (I'll spare everyone from that rant)

I guess I'm spoiled being in a bigger DMA, but the difference between the two is night and day.

(also nice to see you watch WOAI and KSAT, definitely the better of the two stations here although I'm not a big KSAT fan, I stick with 4 and 29, who are basically identical now just with different anchors and sets).

SANewsGuy: WOW! You really know your stuff haha. I agree with you, KIII might have a smaller staff then KRIS but they know how to use thier staff and can get the stuff done, that's why they are number 1. Kind of sad that they might not have a new set anytime soon because i believe they deserve one! It would really make thier newscasts look really nicer than they already are. By the way i believe the new girl you are talking about is Sarah Acosta, she is really young. She worked for the CC Caller Times Newspaper as a reporter for three years so she does have some expierience. She was also featured on KIII a couple of months before officially being hired. She hosting a segment for the Caller Times on KIII. As for KRIS, yes that's true they do have some staff that's been there for a while. Lee Sausley is lead anchor there and has been there for a long time. But he is no Joe Gazin. KRIS is kind of amaturish and has always been #2 but they did step up compared to what they used to be 4years ago. They do have a set, not that big or nice. Thier studio is open with thier newsroom and they face thier cameras towards the newsroom using it as a background for thier newscasts. Kind of unique, but would look better if thier newsroom wasnt so dark. Yes i love WOAI, dont really care for KENS5 and never watched KABB Fox, but i will try it out next time im in SA. I look to move there in the future so i always try to keep up with the news, and to be honest i only watch KSAT for Isis Romero, she is hottie. She used to anchor here in CC years ago, shes also from Robstown a suburb a CC. You might know Maclovio Perez, he used to work at WOAI and KENS5 he now is back in CC and is a meterologist at KRIS. I think He should come back to KIII, he used to be Chief Meterologist there in the late 90's early 2000's.

SANewsGuy: WOW! You really know your stuff haha. I agree with you, KIII might have a smaller staff then KRIS but they know how to use thier staff and can get the stuff done, that's why they are number 1. Kind of sad that they might not have a new set anytime soon because i believe they deserve one! It would really make thier newscasts look really nicer than they already are. By the way i believe the new girl you are talking about is Sarah Acosta, she is really young. She worked for the CC Caller Times Newspaper as a reporter for three years so she does have some expierience. She was also featured on KIII a couple of months before officially being hired. She hosting a segment for the Caller Times on KIII. As for KRIS, yes that's true they do have some staff that's been there for a while. Lee Sausley is lead anchor there and has been there for a long time. But he is no Joe Gazin. KRIS is kind of amaturish and has always been #2 but they did step up compared to what they used to be 4years ago. They do have a set, not that big or nice. Thier studio is open with thier newsroom and they face thier cameras towards the newsroom using it as a background for thier newscasts. Kind of unique, but would look better if thier newsroom wasnt so dark. Yes i love WOAI, dont really care for KENS5 and never watched KABB Fox, but i will try it out next time im in SA. I look to move there in the future so i always try to keep up with the news, and to be honest i only watch KSAT for Isis Romero, she is hottie. She used to anchor here in CC years ago, shes also from Robstown a suburb a CC. You might know Maclovio Perez, he used to work at WOAI and KENS5 he now is back in CC and is a meterologist at KRIS. I think He should come back to KIII, he used to be Chief Meterologist there in the late 90's early 2000's.

New person is a blondie, name escapes me. I didn't realize Sarah Acosta worked at the Caller-Times. Now I know why that name seemed familiar...

I remember Maclovio Perez, his contract wasn't renewed and he went into being a spokesperson for a school district here but I guess he hated it because he is now back in TV weather.

Isis Romero is bad... Evy Ramos on 4 has the looks but can also read a teleprompter without stuttering and tripping over every other word. As much as no one likes to admit, she's a reason why 4 has seen their ratings shoot up...

Romero is a good weekend anchor but should not be on the desk at 10. Whenever Ursula Pari leaves the other newscasts, I would not consider Isis ready to take the main anchor chair at KSAT. Leslie Mouton is much better (but works the early shift so she can spend more time with her family).

Back to the area for the holidays for a stay with family in the area. I guess that I will take a shot at this as well...

KZTV: I mentioned it in the "No Emotion Box" a few days ago, but KZTV really seems to be grasping at straws. They are probably aiming for a younger audience. But, to me, their newscasts seem like a mix of WWE Wrestling, Inside Edition and Naked News (with the addition of clothing). There are two male anchors. The younger of the two REALLY needs to cut back on the caffeine. The raising of the voice and all of the gesturing don't make for the fun and entertaining newscast that their station's promos promise to deliver. Add two busty brunettes to the mix: one handling the weather duties, the other covers sports. The weathercast consisted of graphics for the currents, an hour by hour look at the day ahead, and the seven day forecast. No satellite, no surface maps... The sports consisted of a story on two female race car drivers from the area, as well as the sports reporter's opinion on something or other, along with an invite for me to share my opinion on Facebook or Twitter. When I was here a couple of years ago, KZTV seemed to be headed in the right direction. But, given what I have seen, any ground they may have gained seems to have eroded away.

KIII: I can't say that I have noticed many changes. From what I understand, Dan McReynolds has retired. His replacement seems to be adequate. I can't say that there's anything that I love, or hate about him. The news music and graphics packages remain unchanged from the days of London Broadcasting. Well, except for the addition of the Gannett animation at the end of the newscast. KIII seems to have some very down to earth, knowledgeable professionals on board. You always know what to expect when you tune in.

KRIS: I seem to be turning to 6 more often than I did in prior visits. The anchors, the pacing, the content...they seem to have improved. The logo has been slightly modified (as far as the background behind the "6" is no longer a blue square). The graphics used in the opens have been updated as well, but a lot of the graphics used throughout the newscast (lower thirds, etc.) seem to be holdovers from the old package.

Back to the area for the holidays for a stay with family in the area. I guess that I will take a shot at this as well...

KZTV: I mentioned it in the "No Emotion Box" a few days ago, but KZTV really seems to be grasping at straws. They are probably aiming for a younger audience. But, to me, their newscasts seem like a mix of WWE Wrestling, Inside Edition and Naked News (with the addition of clothing). There are two male anchors. The younger of the two REALLY needs to cut back on the caffeine. The raising of the voice and all of the gesturing don't make for the fun and entertaining newscast that their station's promos promise to deliver. Add two busty brunettes to the mix: one handling the weather duties, the other covers sports. The weathercast consisted of graphics for the currents, an hour by hour look at the day ahead, and the seven day forecast. No satellite, no surface maps... The sports consisted of a story on two female race car drivers from the area, as well as the sports reporter's opinion on something or other, along with an invite for me to share my opinion on Facebook or Twitter. When I was here a couple of years ago, KZTV seemed to be headed in the right direction. But, given what I have seen, any ground they may have gained seems to have eroded away.

KIII: I can't say that I have noticed many changes. From what I understand, Dan McReynolds has retired. His replacement seems to be adequate. I can't say that there's anything that I love, or hate about him. The news music and graphics packages remain unchanged from the days of London Broadcasting. Well, except for the addition of the Gannett animation at the end of the newscast. KIII seems to have some very down to earth, knowledgeable professionals on board. You always know what to expect when you tune in.

KRIS: I seem to be turning to 6 more often than I did in prior visits. The anchors, the pacing, the content...they seem to have improved. The logo has been slightly modified (as far as the background behind the "6" is no longer a blue square). The graphics used in the opens have been updated as well, but a lot of the graphics used throughout the newscast (lower thirds, etc.) seem to be holdovers from the old package.

With the exception of maybe the graphics, the set and music have been the same since the McKinnon's owned the station. Hopefully Gannett can invest some money into the station and bring it into modern times.

Yeah, I guess the set is a bit stale, isn't it? Part of KIII's "thing" seems to be stability -- a nice, comfortable pair of shoes. And, I'm guessing that KIII's viewers have been loyal viewers for years (and years, and years...). I wonder what viewers will think when the familiar set, look and sound all go out the window? It's got to be just a matter of time. Contrary to what you may have gathered from my previous post, I do believe that some change is good. However, it can always be taken a bit too far (KZTV). But, I can't see Gannett taking that route. I'm looking forward to seeing how KIII has evolved when I return next year.

Yeah, I guess the set is a bit stale, isn't it? Part of KIII's "thing" seems to be stability -- a nice, comfortable pair of shoes. And, I'm guessing that KIII's viewers have been loyal viewers for years (and years, and years...). I wonder what viewers will think when the familiar set, look and sound all go out the window? It's got to be just a matter of time. Contrary to what you may have gathered from my previous post, I do believe that some change is good. However, it can always be taken a bit too far (KZTV). But, I can't see Gannett taking that route. I'm looking forward to seeing how KIII has evolved when I return next year.

I'm not in Corpus, but (for whatever reason lol) I've been studying Gannett since they acquired Belo. And, from past experiences with Gannett, the biggest thing with stations that have a lot of stability is the on-air change. Since acquiring the Belo properties, other than the on-air graphic look, they pretty much leave them be personnel wise, as none of the stations have had a major overhaul in their line-ups. So I think KIII will actually remain stable in the personnel department. However, if as you say, they have a very long-term and loyal viewership, expect a mild to moderate uproar when the G-Team changes their graphics to the new(er) look.

I do expect, down the line, that KIII will get money thrown at them by their parent. Texas is now a big investment for Gannett, and the Lone Star (ex-London) stations are going to all most likely be brought modern within the next year, to catch them up with their ex-Belo sisters.

you hit the nail on the head there. Except the last time i was there, they still had Juan Acuna doing weather (they moved him from KRIS to make way for Maclovio Perez) and Roland Rodriguez on sports so it was an all male newscast... The two females are new.

With the exception of maybe the graphics, the set and music have been the same since the McKinnon's owned the station. Hopefully Gannett can invest some money into the station and bring it into modern times.

Graphics were from London ownership. I would say they definitely helped bring KIII to modern times. They've been in HD for a couple years now. Outside of the newscasts, London has made their mark. The three subchannels they have now weren't there when McKinnon owned them. They could use a new set. Other than that KIII does not need to make further changes.

I don't think they'll get a new set though. Gannett doesn't seem to like to invest in new sets. That nice set WWL has now, Gannett would never get them a set like that. Gannett cheapens out on their sets.

Since I have been here (12/24), Juan seems to be covering the evening newscasts on KRIS. I'm guessing that Dale Nelson is just taking the holidays off. KZTV makes no mention of weather in their news opens -- just the two guys anchoring, and the gal covering sports.

Since I have been here (12/24), Juan seems to be covering the evening newscasts on KRIS. I'm guessing that Dale Nelson is just taking the holidays off. KZTV makes no mention of weather in their news opens -- just the two guys anchoring, and the gal covering sports.

She must've just started.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/sonya-hill/97/238/699

okey dokey, kind of sad this is what gets you qualified to do tv weather now...

I really would like for KIII to get a news set, it is really all they need after they get thier new graphics. Juan Acuna now is back at KRIS, he does the weather for the 9pm Newscasts and is a fill in meteorologist for KRIS and KZTV. KZTV has kind of always been the station that hires newbees, they are like the training station in Corpus Christi. Sonya Hill is the new weather girl and started i believe 2 or 3 months ago. Don not know if she has a degree but i do know she is a model. Tessa Barrera is the other brunette that now does the sports. Also do not know if she has a broadcasting degree, she is a athlete and was trying to get in the WWE, she had a tryout a couple of months ago. Dont know what happened with that. She was also on Stone Cold Steve Austins the Smoking Skull Challenge.

I really would like for KIII to get a news set, it is really all they need after they get thier new graphics. Juan Acuna now is back at KRIS, he does the weather for the 9pm Newscasts and is a fill in meteorologist for KRIS and KZTV. KZTV has kind of always been the station that hires newbees, they are like the training station in Corpus Christi. Sonya Hill is the new weather girl and started i believe 2 or 3 months ago. Don not know if she has a degree but i do know she is a model. Tessa Barrera is the other brunette that now does the sports. Also do not know if she has a broadcasting degree, she is a athlete and was trying to get in the WWE, she had a tryout a couple of months ago. Dont know what happened with that. She was also on Stone Cold Steve Austins the Smoking Skull Challenge.

That's all you need to know about those two... :rolleyes:

Kind of sad that's what KZTV has become. And I thought what I saw was bad, you didn't think they could become worse...

But there's a reason why KZTV does that. To protect KRIS. Their logic is, if you want a straightforward newscast, watch KRIS. There's no point in doing two separate traditional newscasts, when one is just going to eat away the audience of the other. So they do this attempt at news to try to pull in a different type of viewer.

And no, Sonya Hill does not have a degree. If you saw her LinkedIn which I posted above, apparently she is still in school and is studying psychology... (WTH? :bang: )

I can understand hiring somebody because they're attractive but can they at least have credentials too? Hiring somebody solely because of looks is almost never a good move no matter which profession you're in...

The sports hire is even worse. They give her an opinion segment called "Tessa's Take" where she can rant about anything going on in sports, and also she makes questionable social media posts for someone working in television news (in my opinion). Like stuff that just makes her look unprofessional.

Oh and they're still using the VDO graphics but they replaced the version of Helvetica with versions of Impact (eww) and changed up the animations to make them look "edgier".

In short, this newscast needs work.

As for them hiring newbies, all Corpus Christi stations are like that. That market has long had a reputation for being a "starter" market where most of the reporters are in their first or second job in television. So a lot of the stations, even KIII, make cringeworthy mistakes that they shouldn't make, but you've got to just cut them some slack for just starting out in the business. With experience you get better. And with experience you generally move into bigger markets.

The gal that's covering sports happens to be a former lingerie football player and her name is Tessa Barrera. Barrera was also a former contestant on Stone Cold's Broken Skull Challenge on CMT.

So i was watching the news tonight and KIII debuted a "This is Home" promo. It looks like they are already moving forward in the changes with Gannett. Still waiting on the graphics change...they also have a new reporter who started today Brianna Whitney!

If the Deathstar want to make any graphic changes, now is an opportune time for them to do so before the February books.

Archived