Late 2014-2015 Big Music Switches

promoguy98

May be a good idea to start a thread on the late 2014 / 2015 big music shifts between the top three providers of Gari, Arnold and 615 Music. If anyone wants to contribute, perhaps we can share YouTube links, list of stations and changes, offer opinions without getting into this company sucks/this one is the best - I don't see an issue with offering constructive criticism as long it doesn't start mudslinging matches or cause a company any hardship.

Regarding the changes of Raycom, my speculation is they were offered a better deal. I would have offered stations in Baton Rouge, Huntsville and Savannah an opportunity to keep what they have. Those stations had built real equity with Advantage and Newschannel. I would have made an exception for stations that had stuck with their themes 15 to 20+ years. But what is done is done! These overall changes without the smallest of exceptions isn't the smartest move IMO.

Lastly, I see a real opportunity for SAM to update some of their packages with a more theme/variety and less mixout focus to grab even more market share. Question is, will they ever change their cut layout setup? If they were to produce a 30+ theme (Overture, Signature, Third Coast etc) package today, there would probably be over 3000 cuts. Would Signature have 6000+ cuts? LOL. Personally I would create a strategy that fits between what he's doing now and the approach Gari takes - with the result being more promos, segment intros, stingers and general variety.

I would have offered stations in Baton Rouge, Huntsville and Savannah an opportunity to keep what they have. Those stations had built real equity with Advantage and Newschannel. I would have made an exception for stations that had stuck with their themes 15 to 20+ years. But what is done is done! These overall changes without the smallest of exceptions isn't the smartest move

Well said. I'm very surprised to see Raycom switch from Gari to Arnold. I'll just bet WAFB, WAFF, and WTOC might lose a fraction of a ratings point with that sort of transition.

BTW, WFLX Fox 29 in West Palm Beach, FL switched to Extreme last night. IMO, they should've gone with Outlaw News, except that it actually isn't available anymore.

BTW, WFLX Fox 29 in West Palm Beach, FL switched to Extreme last night. IMO, they should've gone with Outlaw News, except that it actually isn't available anymore.

Question: if WFLX is owned by Raycom, but run by Scripps, why aren't they at least using the Scripps packages, if not branding the newscasts as "NewsChannel 5 at 10"?

Question: if WFLX is owned by Raycom, but run by Scripps, why aren't they at least using the Scripps packages, if not branding the newscasts as "NewsChannel 5 at 10"?

There's the key: WFLX is owned by Raycom, but run by Scripps. As long as WFLX 29 has ownership control by Raycom, they would wanna keep the brandings and everything different, since its not a 100% official sister station of WPTV 5.

But then again, I wonder why not? At the end of every newscast, it always says "Produced by WPTV (5) for WFLX" which kinda does bug me as to why its not "NewsChannel 5 at 10:00 on FOX 29," but then again, what I mentioned on top.

what's with the sudden increase of using Stephen Arnold? Does he still carry the financial baggage of the SESAC royalties? I know 360 was started up so they could be with ASCAP.

Weeters may have been joking about Gari, but he teased over something big happening with them in the shoutbox then interrupted himself with a "broadcast of the emergency broadcast system" and didn't reveal anything! As far as SESAC and all goes, surprised Raymie and TServo haven't chimed in. They are pretty darn knowledgeable in some of these areas.

Yeah YBOM (your brain on music) / changed to 360 Music Production was created as a workaround and from what I remember from articles and a convo with Chad - it was his deal. Not sure if it still is, but assume so. Chad, Joe Falkner and Arnold funded and formed the 1990's Stephen Arnold company together. My assumption is the formation of the spinoff was to work around SESAC issues and to handoff a service/product for Chad, who had majorly helped to start it all. Very surprised this thread has been so darn quiet..... maybe more will add to the convo over time!

I may know a good deal about stuff in the past (up to the early 90s) but I am mostly blissfully ignorant of what's going on in the here and now. (Hence why I had no idea about the SAM/360 connection.)

Maybe Raymie knows more about the Arnold resurgence. SESAC has no news items about anything that might suggest it is now more affordable for stations to use Arnold's music...

oh shoot.

I think I walked into a hole.

Seems like I'm talking to babies (no offense.) Some of you people were under the age of 10 to 12 during the late 2006 "SESAC Attack" that scores of SAM clients had to drop his music. You guys might had never heard about this dark time in news music. In fact this incident, SAM reached out to here, to the NMSA and other sites directly immediately after this debacle. Remember my sig a few months ago about my younger days and how the news music publishers hated us before social media?

Well that was the turning point.

I can't elaborate more at this moment, but thought I'd quickly clarify the earlier statement I posted.

Weeters may have been joking about Gari, but he teased over something big happening with them in the shoutbox then interrupted himself with a "broadcast of the emergency broadcast system" and didn't reveal anything! As far as SESAC and all goes, surprised Raymie and TServo haven't chimed in. They are pretty darn knowledgeable in some of these areas.

Yeah YBOM (your brain on music) / changed to 360 Music Production was created as a workaround and from what I remember from articles and a convo with Chad - it was his deal. Not sure if it still is, but assume so. Chad, Joe Falkner and Arnold funded and formed the 1990's Stephen Arnold company together. My assumption is the formation of the spinoff was to work around SESAC issues and to handoff a service/product for Chad, who had majorly helped to start it all. Very surprised this thread has been so darn quiet..... maybe more will add to the convo over time!

thanks for clarifying, M&A seems now seems to be the theme for the news music industry. I've lost track of who merged, who spun off and whose affiliated with whom for licensing.

Basically, from what I understand, SESAC instituted a licensing fee increase that caused Arnold's music to no longer be affordable to many stations, and they were forced to abruptly drop his music. Arnold had no control over the rate hike, and lost a bunch of clients as a result of it.

Anybody who is able to explain in greater detail, feel free to do so, for the benefit of those who don't remember it.

I may know a good deal about stuff in the past (up to the early 90s) but I am mostly blissfully ignorant of what's going on in the here and now. (Hence why I had no idea about the SAM/360 connection.)

Maybe Raymie knows more about the Arnold resurgence. SESAC has no news items about anything that might suggest it is now more affordable for stations to use Arnold's music...

...I'm just a bloodhound of research who knows how to work the repertoires of the music companies. I don't know much about the present state of the industry.

Archived