New ESPN graphics

Viper550

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ... whatever catchy nickname you give the NCAA hockey tournament ... starts today

frozenfour_2015_340x190-9462.jpg

Not surprised they're still using the old look for that event. Curious though, where'd you see the old score bar in that picture @KD0PQI posted of the audio booth? It looks like there's something on top of one of the monitors with color bars on it, but I don't think I can make out that it's the old score bar... if so, vision props to you.

Not surprised they're still using the old look for that event. Curious though, where'd you see the old score bar in that picture @KD0PQI posted of the audio booth? It looks like there's something on top of one of the monitors with color bars on it, but I don't think I can make out that it's the old score bar... if so, vision props to you.

No I mean, i.e. March Madness.

But yeah, that was the one on a color bars screen. It's also on right now and they're using the old graphics.

IndyCar Series is back on ABC, and there's nothing new, which is shocking. (heck the L3s are still based on the "first generation" of the metal look)

Though ESPN's weird with racing; in the 2011 season they held off switching to the metal graphics and still used the MNF '06 look until the Indianapolis 500 (it was then adopted for NASCAR later when they started their portion of the Sprint Cup season)

• 2 months later...

We got a new look for the NBA Finals .. sort of

They're just a re-skin of the same templates they've been using for a few years now, except gold trimmed, glossy, and with new fonts. Though some of the details (like the "mountains" in the background of the Warriors' L3s and scoreboard "pod") look pretty cool. Overall, they sort of remind me of Sportsnet for some reason.

This is horrible. I'm hoping this is just for the finals and they go with something in line with their general look come next season. This is so clunky.

Talk on Twitter confirms this is just for the NBA Finals.

It's ... odd. Almost feels like they may just use this for the NFL this season to comply with their Super Bowl 50 all gold everything mandate...

• 1 month later...

The Pan-Am Games have brought a bizarre enigma: CBC is the host broadcaster, and the Games have already had their own graphics. But this Baseball gold medal game is, firstly, only being streamed on CBC's website (and it's not on ANY ESPN platform, despite it involving the U.S.)

But even more bizarre is that they're using ESPN's MLB scoreboard in Spanish, and in a different position than usual. No, this isn't a bootleg, this is the actual scoreboard, animations and all (the L3s are still vaguely using the Games' package but feel off-model). The broadcast itself has felt, well, ESPN3 quality, but it's not even on ESPN3. But yeah, the juxtaposition is just ... strange

q4idDwy.jpg

Also as I expected, Premier Boxing Champions used the new graphics too

• 1 month later...

The U.S. Open is here. ESPN's actual broadcasts are, shockingly, still using the old blue/orange graphics (huh?)

But the ESPN3/world feed (TSN's picked up some of these matches for its channels) graphics have a completely different look that actually fits ESPN's design language; boxy, Helvetica, and a nice shiny blue.

[MEDIA=twitter]638376123534065664[/MEDIA]

I'll be damned if I can find it in recent posts, but someone posed the question as to what ESPN will be rolling out in terms of graphics for the new, Scott Van Pelt-hosted midnight edition of SportsCenter. A teaser promo is giving the first hints that white with red and silver accents will be replaced with black elements, splashed with gold and blue hues. It should be a nice change from the norm. It helps that I'm a fan of the black and blue NFL/MLB program graphics.

I'll be damned if I can find it in recent posts, but someone posed the question as to what ESPN will be rolling out in terms of graphics for the new, Scott Van Pelt-hosted midnight edition of SportsCenter. A teaser promo is giving the first hints that white with red and silver accents will be replaced with black elements, splashed with gold and blue hues. It should be a nice change from the norm. It helps that I'm a fan of the black and blue NFL/MLB program graphics.

I wonder if they're rolling out new graphics are they re tooling the rundown graphics? They use the rundown graphic during the Daytime SportsCenter but when they switch to ESPNEWS they don't use the rundown graphic as a matter of fact they don't use the rundown graphic during the Early Evening, Late Night or Overnight SportsCenter editions at all. Also I don't think they use the rundown graphics for their NFL shows.

I thought the scoreboard on ESPN's games looked weird. Why does ABC still format for 4:3 when mostly everybody has a widescreen TV and the pay-tv providers have the ability to letterbox for SD viewers?

The letterboxing instructions actually come from the local station so to play it safe they format the ABC games for 4:3

I have not followed this thread but does ABC have new College Football ggraphics? I don't remember the score board looking that way last year. I like it! Very easy to read! The NFL should do something like that!

I thought the scoreboard on ESPN's games looked weird. Why does ABC still format for 4:3 when mostly everybody has a widescreen TV and the pay-tv providers have the ability to letterbox for SD viewers?

I thought ESPN's CFB graphics was pretty good I like it. But it just looks terrible on ABC due to it being in a 4:3 format.

I wonder how much longer it will take to change out the graphics on the lower-tiered games (the ones on ESPN3).

Depending on the stadium and the contractor producing the games, some still have to use a "clock cam" to put the time on the scorebox. Newer scoreboards and CGs can sync the information directly into the graphics itself.

I wonder how much longer it will take to change out the graphics on the lower-tiered games (the ones on ESPN3).

Depending on the stadium and the contractor producing the games, some still have to use a "clock cam" to put the time on the scorebox. Newer scoreboards and CGs can sync the information directly into the graphics itself.

It's a slow process for ESPN/ABC Sports in terms of the roll out of the new graphics. I think they'd rather get the graphics rolled out for their sports properties first before rolling out the new graphics package for ESPN3

• 2 weeks later...

We got new graphics on NFL coverage in general; from what Monday Night Countdown is giving us, it seems to be more futuristic-looking and doesn't seem to have the Helvetica/white look going on everywhere else.

We definitely can't have flat, solid colored graphics in the NFL, that would be a travesty.

edit: COMPLETELY DIFFERENT EVERYTHING.

Just about every graphic uses the ENTIRE span of the screen, scoreboard included. The scoreboard (which is just a bar rather than college football's funkybox) also hides itself during plays.

[MEDIA=twitter]643564378684567552[/MEDIA]

I, for one, thank ESPN for forcing me to search through my TV settings to realize that my image was slightly cropped. Now that I can see the remaining 5% of my screen, it's like a brand new world. No, I'm not kidding. The disappearing bar could go, though.

I love the new look purely because it reminds me of the last set of graphics they used on ABC. That said, I have no idea how what the hell they're going to use for the wild card game on ABC in January, cause this sure isn't going to work.

ESPN 2015:

CO5oyOjUYAAV-4b.jpg

ABC 2005:

9d47ZBt.jpg?2

Archived