New ESPN graphics

Viper550

They also added a line on the field distinguishing "Field Goal Range".

They've done this in the fourth quarter of games that are close or important drives at any point in the game for, I wanna say, 2 or 3 seasons now, including this year.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, right now during the "Eat Mor Chikin" Peach Bowl (a blowout) that Field Goal line was appearing for both teams during the third quarter. Kind of useless given the current score - 42-nil.

As to the overall graphics package, it's not bad but there's one thing they can, and should, easily dispose of. Is it really necessary to have an ESPN logo in the upper left? I think not as ESPN typically has its logo appear in the lower right below the scorebox, either as a bug or on their Bottom Line. Isn't that enough? There should only be One (1) network logo onscreen at any given time.

Having two bugs is nothing new. The unassuming ESPN at the top of the screen is no different than the prominent one on the old scoreboard. It's merely there for the few times that the ticker is not on the screen.

When the ticker's not there, ESPN likes to use a bug in the lower right. There's no need for two ESPN logos, or three as was the case at the end of the Peach Bowl - and that's really sloppy.

Not necessarily. They never use the ticker for their high-profile events (like the BCS)

I imagine that they won't be using it for the Sugar and Rose Bowl (Playoff games) as well as the National Championship.

I wonder if ABC is going to use the new scorebugs tomorrow during the Citrus Bowl and if so, will the bug be in the 4:3 safe zone.

Well, ESPN Deportes is airing the Orange Bowl with all graphics 4:3 safe, so I would say yes on the ABC front.

I wonder if ABC is going to use the new scorebugs tomorrow during the Citrus Bowl and if so, will the bug be in the 4:3 safe zone.

The answer to that is...NO. They're using the old bar at the bottom of the screen.

The new graphics are only shown on the major bowl games. The lesser bowls (except the New Orleans Bowl) use the old graphics.

I believe that's intentional — either that or they don't have all of the animations, etc. ready for the other bowls or didn't have time to get them to production crews other than those at the bowl game sites.

I believe that's intentional — either that or they don't have all of the animations, etc. ready for the other bowls or didn't have time to get them to production crews other than those at the bowl game sites.

Another possible theory: they had the graphics ready for the systems in use in the "primary" trucks they sent to the "big" bowls, but not for the graphics systems in the "secondary" trucks they sent to the lesser bowl games. (Sort of like when FOX has to use some of the regional sports network production trucks from time to time.)

It's a completely unsubstantiated guess, of course.

Another possible theory: they had the graphics ready for the systems in use in the "primary" trucks they sent to the "big" bowls, but not for the graphics systems in the "secondary" trucks they sent to the lesser bowl games. (Sort of like when FOX has to use some of the regional sports network production trucks from time to time.)

It's a completely unsubstantiated guess, of course.

I think that's the best guess. A lot of times the different trucks use different graphics system and it could be that they haven't been ported over to a different system. Most likely the primary trucks are produced to ESPNs requirements where the other trucks are aimed to the mass market.

Then again, it could be something else altogether. I'm flipping through the various ESPN properties - "ESPN Sports Saturday" on ABC, the NFL Wild Card game on ESPN, and various college basketball games, and none are using the new ESPN "design language." It could be that they are just rolling it out *very* slowly.

(Of course, what immediately became obvious to me was that the wild card game uses the Monday Night Football graphics language, which is completely unlike anything else on ESPN, for no reason I can comprehend. Frankly, it is incredibly clunky by comparison.)

• 2 weeks later...

On a related note, one of the Megacast feeds for the Championship Game tonight (specifically the Data Center) has a horizontal version of the new scoreboard as part of its array. It's interesting, but the compact version is good too.

• 1 month later...

This weekend has brought some interesting new developments. Firstly, the college basketball studio segments now use the "studio" version of the new SportsCenter graphics (i.e. the darker ones we saw on the NFL shows), plus people have been spotting some new insert graphics based on the new look (but with a more athletic looking font), although the game itself still uses the old look.

Plus, MLS seems to have what is, apparently, a rather slick new look plus the college football graphics from what I've been gathering (for some bizarre reason, TSN's first non-Canadian MLS game of the season is going to be the FS1 Revolution/Sounders game later and not this game. Ironic given their alignment with ESPN)

It should be noted that the studio segment graphics are, from what I saw, more akin to the black and blue (or is it gold and white? :D) NFL Countdown graphics, modeled after Sportscenter's look.

• 3 weeks later...

The ... whatever catchy nickname you give the NCAA hockey tournament ... starts today, one of the few occasions that ESPN intentionally broadcasts hockey given how they all but told the NHL to pack up and leave about 10 years ago.

Although if this inside look into a studio truck is any indication, we're still getting the "old" look. They basically reuse the football scoreboard template for hockey, with power plays showing up within where the down counter usually is (which itself makes it unnecessarily wider)

Archived