New ESPN graphics

Viper550

In time for bowl season, ESPN's launched a completely new look with its college football coverage. All I can say is that these look a lot like Fox's new graphics, but mixed with the new SportsCenter look.

The scoreboard in the bottom right is also rather interesting, I must add. But it'll definitely take some getting used to: it's a bit small too.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the design and color use, but it can be a little shorter and wider. It's too tall for my liking. They could've stuck with a banner at the bottom, and I think that would look great. There are 3 parts. Home, away, and game info. They could stack it horizontally instead of vertically close to the bottom right corner, and that would be a good look. I don't think the wanted top or bottom left because that would look too much like FOX, and the top right has been defunct since CBS ditched it a while back with the NFL.

Yeah, they soft launched during the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl today comparing the two looks. I hate to say this but I prefer the current old look. Yeah the new one is clean and looks good but the look does not play well with Football with the location of the bug where it is. Overall it looks good but that bug as good as it is is just placed in a inconvenient spot where it took away a lot.

Yeah, they soft launched during the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl today comparing the two looks. I hate to say this but I prefer the current old look. Yeah the new one is clean and looks good but the look does not play well with Football with the location of the bug where it is. Overall it looks good but that bug as good as it is is just placed in a inconvenient spot where it took away a lot.

Ah. The Sugar Bowl is the first of the College Playoff Games and that's in New Orleans too. They're probably using the same production equipment for both games and it looks like ESPN used the New Orleans Bowl as a soft launch game to test the graphics out before they launch them for the Sugar Bowl.

Those graphics were overdue for an upgrade. Interesting location for that bug though.

I don't like the positioning of the bug it would look better if it was in the upper left corner of the screen and not blocking the play. If they really wanted it on the bottom of the screen they should have made it a horizontal bar like NBC and CBS.

They used the new graphics in a promo for the NBA on ABC/ESPN on Christmas Day. Will we see them used for that coverage, or is it false hope? I guess we'll find out soon.

I wouldn't hold my breath given ESPN's track record on updating their event packages. I remember the 2006 look lasting well after the now departing look came on the scene.

Maybe ESPN and NBC will both debut their new looks on New Year's Day. That'll be fun.[/quote

It'll either be New Year's or the Super Bowl for NBC. I know the current graphics were launch on New Years in 2012 in conjunction with the launch of NBCSN but they might wait until the Super Bowl this time around.

ESPNs will probably launch on New Year's Eve for the"New Year's Six" games they're promoting.

They also added a line on the field distinguishing "Field Goal Range". The score and logo area of the bug now has that pixelated/egg crate-like effect like the old graphics, with only the team name on a solid-colored box.

Archived