WLS To Air Cubs Games

24994J

How many months did they have to make the opener? Instead, it looks like they had an intern whip it up in 30 seconds.

7SUSEWal.jpg

4qWEbAsl.jpg

n7pKN2hl.jpg

Also, the goal of the opener was to show all 30 teams, but instead they showed 31 teams, repeating the Giants twice. I guess San Francisco has 3 MLB teams: the Giants, the Giants, and the Mariners.

This opener is pretty embarassing. Think they know just how many screw-ups are in it? Maybe some of us should point out this stuff on social media to get them to fix it?

Good god....

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. Did they become more lax lately? I remember back in 2011, I posted a closing of the WGN Midday News that happened to contain the first 40 seconds or so of the Cubs Lead-Off Man show at the end of the video, and it literally got deleted for a copyright claim by MLB Advanced Media.

I would believe they are more accepting about YT videos, and I have to say that of the 4 major sports MLB is the best when it comes to posting content online and I guess they are now embracing it when people post full games. This reminds me of NASCAR. People post full races all the time the Monday after the race. Last year, NASCAR just began doing that themselves, since they must've figured there is some kind of benefit to this.

Okay, am I off-base to think that the open, spelling mistakes and all, was done by an outside company? All that 3D animation seems a little too good to be done in-house.

If it was done by somebody else, and considering that the game footage in the open was from Sunday, I'm wondering if the station didn't receive the final product until the 11th hour, forcing them to (A.) put it on-air, knowing about the mistakes, but only because they didn't have a backup, or (B.) they barely gave it a second glance before showtime. If they produced it in-house, it's very visually impressive, but those errors (and so many, at that), are beyond unacceptable and very unlike them.

Either way, Weeters is right. Someone's in some shallow doo-doo.

AFAIK, the NBA has always been the most lax about people posting their content on YouTube. Did that change?

Let me just say that it's much easier (like 100x) to find full MLB games vs full NBA games.

Whanoticed point of that 1000 MPH team animation again? It's kind of dumb since you can't see anything but a blur more or less... I guess that's a good thing in this case with all the errors.

Given how fast it moves is likely why no one noticed the errors. But you would think they would have went over anything and everything 1,000 times before it made it to air. Shame this error mars an otherwise decent broadcast.

Okay, am I off-base to think that the open, spelling mistakes and all, was done by an outside company? All that 3D animation seems a little too good to be done in-house.

If it was done by somebody else, and considering that the game footage in the open was from Sunday, I'm wondering if the station didn't receive the final product until the 11th hour, forcing them to (A.) put it on-air, knowing about the mistakes, but only because they didn't have a backup, or (B.) they barely gave it a second glance before showtime. If they produced it in-house, it's very visually impressive, but those errors (and so many, at that), are beyond unacceptable and very unlike them.

Either way, Weeters is right. Someone's in some shallow doo-doo.

I disagree. The quality of some of the 3D stuff (i.e. the Cubs logo, the Stadium stuff) look exactly like something that would be made in-house. Other parts (the ABC7 logo, the team animations, the "Cubs on ABC7" logo) look like they came from whoever made the news graphics package ("Blue Helio" if you must.) Perhaps this is a mashup of in-house and outside content? It certainly looks like that could be the case.

For some reason I get the feeling that team animation is a templated graphic that they changed in-house. I would assume they also have the ability to change the video in the "stadium" parts of the open too.

The whole open is rather underwhelming in general.

Graphical blunders aside, the game did very well in the ratings. The broadcast, the 2nd of the season (3rd scheduled), notched a 4.0 (140k), approximately double CSN's average rating last season, and also double what ABC 7's afternoon block RR/GH/IE/J! pulls on a regular basis. Of course, this game was heavily publicized, and the season is still in the honeymoon period, but if it continues to score WAR (wins above replacement), this investment just might be worth it.

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2015/04/09/wls-channel-7-finds-wrigley-fields-confines.html

Graphical blunders aside, the game did very well in the ratings. The broadcast, the 2nd of the season (3rd scheduled), notched a 4.0 (140k), approximately double CSN's average rating last season, and also double what ABC 7's afternoon block RR/GH/IE/J! pulls on a regular basis. Of course, this game was heavily publicized, and the season is still in the honeymoon period, but if it continues to score WAR (wins above replacement), this investment just might be worth it.

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2015/04/09/wls-channel-7-finds-wrigley-fields-confines.html

4.0 is much lower than i would have thought... 2.1 normally is really low...

4.0 is much lower than i would have thought... 2.1 normally is really low...

You have to consider that this was a weekday afternoon (Wednesday) game, so they weren't going to get huge ratings given that a ton of people were at work, etc.... If the Cubs have a really good start/year, the #s will likely increase over time. Solid start either way.

And it was contracted out, not in house. He confirms that the problem as been corrected. Mark can't recall the name of the company, and he's glad he can't, for their sake.

"You have monkeys in a sweat shop pounding on a typewriter."

And it was contracted out, not in house. He confirms that the problem as been corrected. Mark can't recall the name of the company, and he's glad he can't, for their sake.

"You have monkeys in a sweat shop pounding on a typewriter."

I think they need a discount...

Graphics mentioned NOW. Apparently, the open arrived ONLY 7 minutes before it was to air.

Unbelievable. They couldn't have got that done sooner? I wonder what Plan B would have been had the opening not arrived on time.

Archived