WLS To Air Cubs Games

24994J

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What all is being aired on MLB Network? I'd imagine that something like the Magers interview made it on as the game was in-progress, but what about the news promos coming in from break?

What all is being aired on MLB Network? I'd imagine that something like the Magers interview made it on as the game was in-progress, but what about the news promos coming in from break?

The sponsor graphic (read by Len) was aired, as well as the promos for ABC 7 EWN. They did not air the 20 minute pre-game, but I was able to see it on MLB.TV in it's entirety. So pretty much, the only thing that MLB Network does not air is the commercials.

The graphics do look like a modified ESPN package with a CSN flavor.

Which is a good thing. I rather the graphics look similar to CSN (for example) than something completely new. It helps to maintain a somewhat cohesive look regardless of the channel the game is on. Transitions could use some work (I hate the swooshing effect) plus I really don't care for the music (but I can get pass it). Other than that, I would axe the weather segment (not needed) to give more time to Mark and Jim.

For a first broadcast, color me impressed. It is far from perfect, and will need some tweaks, but it's about on-par with WGN's coverage, and not far behind CSN.

If things go unchanged, it's a solid B, but I'd give today (by itself) an A- for effort.

Anyone think Gari/WCM did the music? To me, I'm picking up some of the little nuances of their work, and considering they did WCL's theme, we know ABC 7 trusts them with stuff outside news.

Well, the I was able to capture the game, and I'd like to get the intro up, and the briefest sampling of the graphics, but the video needs to convert for the next two and a half hours, then I need to edit it down, so I'll get it up sometime tomorrow.

I won't include any of the game. I'll just get a few screen grabs and those wouldn't be in a video, either. Just the open, but I will double check that to make sure it's okay-ish.

Don't put it on YouTube. MLB Advanced Media will have it down before you can even blink.

There are accounts dedicated to posting full games, which I sometimes watch. One specific account has been around since 2013, maybe earlier, and hasn't had a problem. They post full regular and postseason games, so I guess MLB is a little more lax when it comes to things like that on YouTube.

Most of those have some rust and age on them. This game hasn't been over for 5 hours. I do wonder, what do you think about just the audio of Ron Magers' top of the 5th inning appearance that lasted about 4 minutes?

Most of those have some rust and age on them. This game hasn't been over for 5 hours. I do wonder, what do you think about just the audio of Ron Magers' top of the 5th inning appearance that lasted about 4 minutes?

Do you believe it hinders the owners ability to make money or constitutes a significant portion of the overall work? Those are 2 of the major tests for fair use...

I doubt it. A 1-2-3 inning clocking in at 4:15 with an old man describing the first years of his career probably isn't of much value to the league.

I think you'd be fine but to be even more in the clear I would make it clear that the old man is the focus and not the baseball...

Yup. That is sooooooo 3 days ago.

All kidding aside, I do wonder if there are different rules for national-exclusive telecasts versus the regional/local product.

Edit: Hell, just look at that page. That guy just might post today's game, anyway.

So, I finally processed the video, had a chance to look over the intro, and I think it should be safe for upload, but that's not important.

Look what I stumbled upon...

CCH_2S0UsAAY94p.png

Yeah, that's a little more than wrong.

There are accounts dedicated to posting full games, which I sometimes watch. One specific account has been around since 2013, maybe earlier, and hasn't had a problem. They post full regular and postseason games, so I guess MLB is a little more lax when it comes to things like that on YouTube.

Interesting. Did they become more lax lately? I remember back in 2011, I posted a closing of the WGN Midday News that happened to contain the first 40 seconds or so of the Cubs Lead-Off Man show at the end of the video, and it literally got deleted for a copyright claim by MLB Advanced Media.

How many months did they have to make the opener? Instead, it looks like they had an intern whip it up in 30 seconds.

7SUSEWal.jpg

4qWEbAsl.jpg

n7pKN2hl.jpg

Also, the goal of the opener was to show all 30 teams, but instead they showed 31 teams, repeating the Giants twice. I guess San Francisco has 3 MLB teams: the Giants, the Giants, and the Mariners.

This opener is pretty embarassing. Think they know just how many screw-ups are in it? Maybe some of us should point out this stuff on social media to get them to fix it?

Archived