Among other changes, CBC to cut length of local newscasts

skbl17

CBC/Radio-Canada has announced changes to local newscasts, which will take effect in fall 2015:

- All 90-minute local newscasts will be cut. Instead, newscasts will be shortened to 60 minutes in Vancouver, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, Halifax, Charlottetown, St. John's, and Northern Canada*, and 30 minutes in Montreal, Fredericton, Windsor, Regina, Calgary, and Edmonton.

- CBC will start broadcasting local newsbreaks at the top of the hour during the afternoon hours and in prime time.

- Local newscasts aired on CBC Radio 1 will be simulcast on CBC Television in all areas between 6-7am, except in Northern Canada.

The changes come amidst continuing budget cuts at the broadcaster, and a shift in focus from television and radio to mobile.

* CBC North currently transmits programs in Inuktitut and English. The local newscasts will be split, 30 minutes for Northbeat in English, and 30 minutes for Igalaaq in Inuktitut.

CBC/Radio-Canada has announced changes to local newscasts, which will take effect in fall 2015:

- All 90-minute local newscasts will be cut. Instead, newscasts will be shortened to 60 minutes in Vancouver, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, Halifax, Charlottetown, St. John's, and Northern Canada*, and 30 minutes in Montreal, Fredericton, Windsor, Regina, Calgary, and Edmonton.

- CBC will start broadcasting local newsbreaks at the top of the hour during the afternoon hours and in prime time.

- Local newscasts aired on CBC Radio 1 will be simulcast on CBC Television in all areas between 6-7am, except in Northern Canada.

The changes come amidst continuing budget cuts at the broadcaster, and a shift in focus from television and radio to mobile.

* CBC North currently transmits programs in Inuktitut and English. The local newscasts will be split, 30 minutes for Northbeat in English, and 30 minutes for Igalaaq in Inuktitut.

The CBC would shorten the newscasts by 30 minutes in Canada's second largest city but 60 minutes in a city with a population of 34,000? Oh boy.

I do like the idea of TOTH newsbreaks, though.

For CBCT/Charlottetown, they're the only local news on the island, and IIRC have a very solid and loyal following. There would be rioting in the streets (albeit very polite ;-) ), if CBC cut local news.

For St. John's, the have a lot of area to cover, as well as going up against NTV (take it for what it's worth...), and like CBCT, has a loyal following (I believe in some of the other newscast shrinkage across Canada, CBNT always seemed to keep a longer newscast - even when CBLT/Toronto shortened its newscasts)

I'm guessing they looked at which markets got 30 vs. 60 between the size competition and ratings. IIRC, CBC does well in Manitoba.

J

I still am surprised that CBC is cutting the Regina news, since its supposedly for the whole province (practically every other CBC translator left in the province is a translator of CBC Regina, plus they shut down the Saskatoon semi-satellite because they couldn't afford to convert it to digital, so they just pipe it in on cable out of Regina). CTV and Global are the only other broadcasters that have full, separate news departments in Regina and Saskatoon.

But I like the top-of-hour update thing, sort of revives the old "24-Hour News Source" fad from back in the day

Archived