News (and TV from Italy)

compubit

Just got back from Italy! and will post a conglomeration of captures. Where as the there's consolidation in the US and other countries, Italy seems to be the opposite. From the house we were staying in near Cortona, Arezzo, Italy, I was able to pick up 249 individual program streams on my tuner. A few (very few) were encrypted, and some (~30) we're radio, but the rest were a mix of national channels (RAI, Mediaset and a couple of groups on a couple of Telecom Italia-hosted streams. The rest were local channels (Siena TV, TTNews 24, Arezzo TV, etc.), regional channels (Toscana 8, TGT, etc.) or "national" channels (mostly shopping) on locally owned/managed Muxes.

Some interesting news themes, but was watching TTNews24 from Carrara (known for it's marble), and heard a very familiar theme: NewsSeries 2000+/WLS Package/Stimulus.

I'll post the collection, once it's done, along with my thoughts on the themes/graphics.

(Wasn't able to get BR3 in Munich's new look, as the news program was preempted for coverage of the Nürnberger Christkindlmarkt (Christmas Market), but do have SWR's news programs captured).

J

Here you go:

All 48+ minutes of footage... (and that's just the stations I found newscasts on). Unfortunately, I didn't find a "zap2it" type of service. I finally figured out how to use the teletext services each station broadcasts to get information.

Some overall info/thoughts:

Quality of newscasts varies (both technical and content), as one can imagine.

TGT24 is a 24-hour continuous headless news operation (no on-screen talent - other than paid features) just Voice over Video. Several of the co-owned stations pick up in progress when they air news.

All RAI 3 TGR stations use the same graphics/sound package and are presented as TG R(egione) zzzzzzzz (such as Lazio [Rome], Toscana [Florence, Pisa, Siena, etc], etc.).

Mediaset's TGCom24 airs news during the day, including simulcasts of Rete4, Canale 5, and Italia 1's midday newscasts. Nighttime had more talk shows a la CNN or FoxNews.

You'd almost need a week in each region (or multiple capture devices) and a good vantage point/antenna to catch everything (plus a lot of advance research), and even then the timing isn't always to the clock. Programs can start early or late by as much as half an hour on some local channels. Technically, they cram as many stations on the air as possible, using nearly every UHF frquency available. the positive side is that for the national muxes, you know exactly which frequency it's on (excepting the RAI 1 mix which varies by region over 4 different frequencies - 2 VHF and 2 UHF - although, there were some "Test" muxes on UHF in some of the areas where RAI airs on a VHF station - I saw them in Rome and Venice).

J

• 9 months later...

Well, there was a copyright dispute with my Italian compilation, from RAI (1:30-1:52) of the video - the RAI2/TG2 open. I noticed that the video wasn't available several months ago, but just now received an email from YouTube on the claim.

I filed this response:

This content was assembled from publicly broadcast newscasts for the purpose of education and critique of audio, visual and graphic characteristics of newscasts in Italy (in comparison with each other as well as with those from other countries) on the discussion board www.tvnewstalk.net. There is no monetization of the content. The amount of content from each newscast (average 20-40 seconds) provides a brief glimpse of the techniques used without rebroadcasting the entire newscast.

Thoughts/comments?

Jim

Archived