Random WBBM Thread

ns8401

Ironically, some of the station's best ratings came when Rob was solo anchor from 2009-10. Frankly, I don't get the hate for Johnson, either. Of course, he's not the greatest to do the job, but not hardly bad. In fact, I think the time to fire him in a rebuild has passed, as he's now really the only "legacy" anchor with any name recognition.

He would've been better not speaking out. All this new information makes him sound bitter. For goodness sake, he is well into his 80s, not late 60s or 70s! He should be grateful that WBBM allowed him to stick around that long. Since when is a station obligated to keep someone on until that person is ready to go? They are the ones that pay him. Do we even know if there were any difficulties with him (reading the teleprompter, etc.)? As mentioned, it appeared that WBBM had hinted around for the past few years that that time was coming.

It easy to say he should be grateful, but at 80+ years of age he not going to play the game to make management feel good about themselves. I'm sure we either have grandparents in their late 70s/early 80s or know someone in that age demographic. At that stage of life they don't care about saving face or making sure someones feelings are not hurt. They say what on their mind, and don't give a shit if your mad, sad or upset with what they say. They speak their minds and keep it moving and that the life of being crotchety in your golden years.

• Like 2

So he gets fucked over for a second time @ Channel 2. That's a shame.

I feel if you're still able to do the job (even if you're well into your 90s), then just do it. Look at Dick Goddard at Channel 8 in Cleveland, he's 84 and still doing the weather. If those folks were so worried about liability and wanted him out so bad, then why would you want to hire an 81 year old in the first place (And that of course is a rarity)? I think it would've been better if he would've left on his own terms than being forced out, and CBS was wrong for that. But then again, this is the same Channel 2, that have made stupid decisions in the past.

I'm hoping he'll get through this, and hopefully (despite his age) he'll find some kind of work in some capacity (maybe not on TV but somewhere), because I don't think Harry is one of those folks who want to live out the rest of their days sitting in a "rocking chair".

And I don't care how many inexperienced pretty faces they put on there to try to raise that ratings needle. Channel 2 will still be a status quo.

In Atlanta, WSB-TV has reporter Don McClellan who been apart of WSB for over a half of a century, and up in his 80s no doubt. Yes, he not on the street beat daily, but every now and then he pops up. Over at rival WXIA there Bill Liss who probably in his 70s, but both are a fixture on Atlanta TV News, and have been around for years.

It easy to say he should be grateful, but at 80+ years of age he not going to play the game to make management feel good about themselves. I'm sure we either have grandparents in their late 70s/early 80s or know someone in that age demographic. At that stage of life they don't care about saving face or making sure someones feelings are not hurt. They say what on their mind, and don't give a shit if your mad, sad or upset with what they say. They speak their minds and keep it moving and that the life of being crotchety in your golden years.

I hope he took a big stinky poop in the ND's office before he left.

• Like 1

I thought I heard that WBBM is supposed to get a new studio (along with WGN). Can anyone confirm this. CBS 2 could use a new studio, and revamped newscasts too.

I think you're referring to that NewscastStudio article about WLS' new digs that briefly mentioned that about WGN and WBBM? I believe it said early this year... NS is generally pretty reliable, and think the guy who runs the site is from Chicago. We're probably just going to have to wait and see, though.

Is there an actual studio on an upper floor if they were to abandon the street front? I've heard rumors that corporate isn't thrilled witg the pretty penny being spent on their prime real estate, given their ratings and poor product.

Is there an actual studio on an upper floor if they were to abandon the street front? I've heard rumors that corporate isn't thrilled witg the pretty penny being spent on their prime real estate, given their ratings and poor product.

There's a room that could be a studio, but last I heard it isn't fully built it out. There was no lighting grid installed and it was mostly used for storage at first before they found out that Tribeca Flashpoint College was willing to rent it out. Here's a music concert being preformed in it in 2011. AFAIK it's the only other television studio space they have, which would mean moving the news set into it would come at the loss of a studio for production/commercial work.

The indoor studio was included in the new facility because they intended on leasing that studio out. In the storage photo above you can see whoever uploaded the picture was told during their tour that Dr. Oz might have started up there before they decided to house that show in New York.

At this point in time I think it's a good idea to dismiss the 2009-era rumors that they were desperately trying to get out of the streetside space. A lot of "cost cutting" ideas were being floated by all the major players in local TV around that time. In most cases you got centralization like graphics and/or master control. I feel like the whole "leasing the streetside studio space" was probably people at WBBM trying to impress corporate with "innovative ideas to cut costs".

At the very least, their agreement with the city to have "entertainment space" or whatever in the streetside space won't expire until 2018 or 2019. They're pretty much stuck there until then no matter how badly they want to get out.

Jay Levine's hanging it up after 25 years at CBS 2 (plus 16 years at ABC 7). He'll remain with the station in a special contributor role. Frankly, I think this is his choice, because if the station wanted him out, he'd be gone entirely, not just semi/mostly retired. However, the terms of his new role are still being worked out.

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/7880-cbs-2-chief-correspondent-jay-levine-stepping-down

• Like 1

@24994J

With all these CBS O&O stations it appears that CBS has invested the money into certain operations;

No Idk Yes

WCBS, WBBM, KYW, WWJ KPIX,WFOR, WJZ KCBS, KTVT, KCNC, WCCO, WBZ, KDKA

As for WBBM, I'm trying to understand them and when you look through the many decades on YouTube. What could move the needle up at BBM? It seem when they had Diann Burns, & Ahern at the wheel they were making strides, but with CBS' top prime-time viewing one would see BBM ratings at 10pm up.

Also Steve Baskerville seems have been with the station for many years, and have to survive the many managers, and he's still there. What his story?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty certain this has everything to do with CBS having the Super Bowl this year, but Channel 2 has turned it's newscast bug gold (matching the logo on the recent promos for the big game). I'd say it's an improvement as I haven't liked the bug since the '13 graphics change, but whatever, I'm sure it'll only be around for a couple weeks and make ratings go through the roof HA. Here's a sample (did they change the boldness of the website/twitter/facebook text?)

roseanne.jpg.42fc8ce0a71cdadf0a2b09d854dc527b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know why Rob & Irika will be anchoring tonight at 10? On a Saturday? Just caught the tail-end of the Saturday morning news and Marissa Bailey said "be sure to join Mai at 5 and Rob & Irika at 10." Huh? The only thing I can think of is CBS has the Republican debate tonight, but that hardly seems like a Super Bowl type of event to bring in your A-team.

Also, I've been meaning to mention that Channel 2 has a cool new intro to it's weeknight M-F 10pm news, even featuring a cut from Gari's 1994 Enforcer package that WBBM used to use as a sports bumper like 20 years ago. But it totally works. Here's a link to some video of it (since I don't know how to post it directly). It's a little cut-off at the start, but you get the gist of it. Enjoy the 30 second commercial as well :p

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/show/latest-videos/video-3359785-cop-in-alleged-fatal-jail-beating-had-prior-record/

Does anyone know why Rob & Irika will be anchoring tonight at 10? On a Saturday? Just caught the tail-end of the Saturday morning news and Marissa Bailey said "be sure to join Mai at 5 and Rob & Irika at 10." Huh? The only thing I can think of is CBS has the Republican debate tonight, but that hardly seems like a Super Bowl type of event to bring in your A-team.

Also, I've been meaning to mention that Channel 2 has a cool new intro to it's weeknight M-F 10pm news, even featuring a cut from Gari's 1994 Enforcer package that WBBM used to use as a sports bumper like 20 years ago. But it totally works. Here's a link to some video of it (since I don't know how to post it directly). It's a little cut-off at the start, but you get the gist of it. Enjoy the 30 second commercial as well :p

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/show/latest-videos/video-3359785-cop-in-alleged-fatal-jail-beating-had-prior-record/

I'm guessing they want to promote the A-team whenever possible, even if their weekend duo is better.

As for the open, I still don't like that blue-backed open, but I love that cut.

• Like 2

I'm guessing they want to promote the A-team whenever possible, even if their weekend duo is better.

As for the open, I still don't like that blue-backed open, but I love that cut.

It appears that here in Miami WFOR is the doing the same having Rick and Rudabeh at 11.

It appears that here in Miami WFOR is the doing the same having Rick and Rudabeh at 11.

WTVJ and WSVN do the same whenever they have the Super Bowl or new HD graphics or set debuts. Not sure about WPLG.

I do know that WSVN uses Belkys and Craig after the Super Bowl on FOX and just this past year, used them for the new HD set and look on a Sunday night as well as after the NFC Championship game last month, which was also on a Sunday.

• Like 5

Same for WJZ. It's completely understandable using the A team after a big broadcast. Coincidentally I played an old newscast first that I had no idea why I saved it until weather showed up. During the weather forecast a watermark from BrainStorm eStudio was animating with their logo and text that said "Your license does not allow for video output".