Random WBBM Thread

ns8401

41 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

As a result of the new 9am newscast being anchored by the regular morning team, Ed Curran and Robb Ellis are the new 11am team.

So now that Ed Curran is back at 11am, are they potentially looking for another hire?

Yeah, I'm totally taking this as Bannon giving up the 11, and having the weekenders split the week. Hell, why not recast the whole 11am as a newsroom-anchored vehicle for Brad Edwards, of Streaming with Brad fame?

received_465422905244794.thumb.webp.8e9b4346eaa30ff17114273ba76dc86a.webpreceived_1118077035760143.thumb.webp.95d151d10062a6f604bab0845661f891.webpreceived_1540892889672640.thumb.webp.ca794bdd8ca2544999808d5f1bfb1e42.webp

Edited by 24994J

29 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Yeah, I'm totally taking this as Bannon giving up the 11, and having the weekenders split the week. Hell, why not recast the whole 11am as a newsroom-anchored vehicle for Brad Edwards, of Streaming with Brad fame?

Yeah, after reading it again, I’m reading it that way, as well. Maybe Ellis Monday-Wednesday and Curran Thursday-Friday. I agree, hopefully Edwards is named the anchor.

Edited by Georgie56

6 hours ago, 24994J said:

received_465422905244794.thumb.webp.8e9b4346eaa30ff17114273ba76dc86a.webpreceived_1118077035760143.thumb.webp.95d151d10062a6f604bab0845661f891.webpreceived_1540892889672640.thumb.webp.ca794bdd8ca2544999808d5f1bfb1e42.webp

5 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Yeah, after reading it again, I’m reading it that way, as well. Maybe Ellis Monday-Wednesday and Curran Thursday-Friday. I agree, hopefully Edwards is named the anchor.

Who does maria saavedra Anchor the 4pm with? Maybe her and Brad can helm 11am and 4pm?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

First Linda MacLennan, back in the fall, and now some of these familiar faces. We're officially living in a timeline where WBBM has a decent relationship with some former on-air talent, and I never thought I'd see the day.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, cbs2worksforyou said:

Walked past the channel 2 studio today. They had black curtains down around all of the windows. I remember reading how they were going to begin reusing the street-level studio after the jumbotron was repaired. Does anyone know if they started building out the studio?

They had not started work the last time (about 2 weeks ago) I walked by the studio. I do know that it was been completely cleaned out so it's ready for work to begin. The studio is big enough for more than just a weather center, so I'm hoping they really take advantage of the space.

Edited by jase
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, jase said:

They had not started work the last time (about 2 weeks ago) I walked by the studio. I do know that it was been completely cleaned out so it's ready for work to begin. The studio is big enough for more than just a weather center, so I'm hoping they really take advantage of the space.

Agree! Really hope they build out a nice new set to use up all that great space and keep it functional for some versatility in shots.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Okay, since I heard my name...

Branded in promos as Nonstop News (which is an extension of the brand they use for the last 10, commercial-free minutes of the 4:30-7am block), the 7-9am hours just use regular newscast branding and graphics. The main difference from the pre-7 and post-9 hours is the anchor arrangement. Most of what I've observed is anchor/reporter Chris Tye going solo from the newsroom, though I've seen morning co-anchor Audrina Bigos doing the shift, as well. That anchor also does the :25 & :55 network updates. Despite its news wheel-type format, both hours are live, with regular weather hits (no apparent traffic reports). I can't say I noticed live reports from the field reporters, but it's not just stuffed will AP stories and filler. Each hour features a recorded sportscast and some of their longer-form stories from the previous evening.

Going back to the anchor roles, it's not entirely clear if this is Tye's main shift, though I haven't seen him anchor Sunday nights in several weeks, and it's clear the OTA morning team is not fronting it. That said, Brad Edwards was out with an injury a little while back, and I'm not sure if he's back to his Streaming with Brad shift, or if he'll eventually be the face of this 7-9am period. Meanwhile, Ed Curran was doing the weather. Ed and Robb Ellis split the 11am duties, but morning met Laura Bannon was off, this morning, and she appears on the bookending newscasts, so like the anchor position, the weather role isn't entirely clear, either.

20230212_221455.jpg

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Branded in promos as Nonstop News (which is an extension of the brand they use for the last 10, commercial-free minutes of the 4:30-7am block), the 7-9am hours just use regular newscast branding and graphics. The main difference from the pre-7 and post-9 hours is the anchor arrangement. Most of what I've observed is anchor/reporter Chris Tye going solo from the newsroom, though I've seen morning co-anchor Audrina Bigos doing the shift, as well. That anchor also does the :25 & :55 network updates.

And to add in on “NonStop News”, they dropped the “10 Minutes” line in February of last year now  starting Nonstop at 6:53/:55, they also expanded that part to the top of the 5:30 half of the morning newscast around October, as well as adding it to the top of the 9am show.

However they’re still using the “CBS Enforcer: Swinging” track for the segment.

Edited by R.R.
Edit Correction

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ed is moving to the streaming morning newscast and 11am on weekdays and most likely be Laura Bannon's main fill in. I guess that means Robb Ellis will do double duty on the weekends. Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned this but, Robb has hinted a couple times that he splits living in Chicago and Indianapolis which explains the weird schedules Albert Ramon worked when Laura Bannon was on leave for a family matter.

• 4 weeks later...