Random WBBM Thread

ns8401

32 minutes ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

I think the 4pm has been cancelled as my guide and the CBS tv schedule states it's judge judy reruns. Is it bc of NCAA tournament or did they abandoned ship. Also Ed Curran has been off the air for a while. I don't think he left or got fired since he is still promoted as part of the weather team.

Just a scheduling error. The 4pm still exists. As for Ed, his regular car segment hasn't been posted to the station's website since the fall, and I don't believe he's been on the air at all in 2022. He has, however, remained active on Twitter. I don't want to speculate, but he hasn't looked the picture of health, the last several times I'd seen him on-air, but he's also in his mid-60s. Hoping for the best.

This appears to be his most recent appearance, based on the station's YouTube page.

Edited by 24994J

21 hours ago, Dustin said:

Just walked by 22 West Washington and snapped these photos.

65EE1115-BAF3-4F00-8B80-45D0EB87D772.jpeg

D2C3DA6D-7B96-4D09-A179-40FCC4B13660.jpeg

54D56564-365D-4C32-BE99-B537A5B048A9.jpeg

A3C3F02D-0C83-4959-8AF0-5FC5B52E6838.jpeg

48FFF7B5-8A7B-4203-A506-AC892F44B08D.jpeg

Looks like they got around to cleaning up the lobby/main entrance. It was looking pretty rough for quite a while. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's been 5 years since they debuted the group-wide set, so one would think that they could opt for a new design. That said, if it were laid out like the original 2008 set, they could totally fit the current set pieces into that area, while expanding the weather center, like Lyons is promising.

As for what value there is in making this move, ultimately it's an investment in the visibility of the product, but only because they couldn't get any takers for the space. Because they have it, they're going to use it. I doubt it's much more complicated than that.

• Like 2

The article to me reads like they're only building a "state-of-the-art weather center" in the space and not trying to replace the current news set. Weather is something that wasn't given much attention on the current O&O sets, so that makes sense. 

• Like 4

I think there's definitely a possible gray area, with how it was worded. Just a weather center is definitely a possibility, but my reading took it as set PLUS expanded weather center.

I guess we'll see.

1 hour ago, Weeters said:

The article to me reads like they're only building a "state-of-the-art weather center" in the space and not trying to replace the current news set. Weather is something that wasn't given much attention on the current O&O sets, so that makes sense. 

Weather Center, but there would still be space for a small set. And with Brad Edwards reassigned to CBSN Chicago, they could put a small enough set in to give the OTT a different look from the traditional news set?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Weeters said:

But that's a lot of space for just a weather center. That 2008 set was pretty spacious, and it included a nice sized  weather set. It would also be kind of weird for the weather person to be in one area of the building and the rest of the news team in another.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 11:23 AM, MorningNews said:

I’m very happy about this decision but also wonder what they expect to get out of the move.

They’ve been paying rent on it so I guess they finally decided they should put it to some sort of use instead of just flushing money down the drain. It was up for sublease for about five years and they had no takers. If they did a somewhat standard 20-year lease, they’re stuck there for about six more years. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 1:54 PM, GodfreyGR said:

Weather Center, but there would still be space for a small set. And with Brad Edwards reassigned to CBSN Chicago, they could put a small enough set in to give the OTT a different look from the traditional news set?

My take is that they build a simple set (with an large weather center for better presentations and whatnot). They would be foolish to only build just a weather center given the space.

I’m willing to bet they use it for not only CBSN and other newscasts (mornings??), but CBS Weekend News (Saturday) too. I mean..if you’re making the investment, might as well get as much out of it as you can. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jase said:

I’m willing to bet they use it for not only CBSN and other newscasts (mornings??), but CBS Weekend News (Saturday) too. I mean..if you’re making the investment, might as well get as much out of it as you can. 

Depending on what all they plan, of course, the coming 9am newscast would seem like a solid candidate to originate streetside.

• Like 3

I took some time out to catch on the 4pm and finally seeing that CBS 2 not only uses the “Swinging” cut of “The Enforcer” package for “NonStop News” in the morning but also being used for “Four Stories At Four” 

• 2 months later...

Quick update…. Construction of the new Jumbotron has begun (all the video panels have been removed) with a ton of wiring work being done currently. No work has started on the street side studio as of yet. 

• 2 weeks later...