Random WBBM Thread

ns8401

37 minutes ago, newsman123 said:

Im sure this is temporary until her contract is up. 

The station is too cheap for two mets. 

Last time WBBM had two meteorologists during the afternoon/evening hrs was back when the news at 4 existed (03-05)

17 minutes ago, R.R. said:

Last time WBBM had two meteorologists during the afternoon/evening hrs was back when the news at 4 existed (03-05)

Ah, don't forget the brief period in 2008 (after the lay-offs and Randy Salerno's death) when Don Schwenneker had a cup of coffee as 5pm weatherman. Might've been at the same time Roseanne co-anchored with Rob at that time.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

It's an uphill battle being the last in the market to introduce a 4pm newscast, but here's wishing them the best of luck.

I wouldn’t count them out. This is a pretty solid group (excluding Marshall), so I could see them being competitive (at some point). 

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, WCX-TV said:

Haven't seen any post but WBBM, is joining in on the weather rebranding along WJZ to "First Alert"? Saw this promo with Albert on their Youtube channel. 

KTVT jumped on the First Alert bandwagon, as well. Appears this is likely gonna be the standard across the O&Os.

On 12/21/2020 at 6:07 PM, Weeters said:

The ground floor lease that included the streetside studio also includes the current studio as well as the control room. There are floorplans on the site for the streetside studio space. Anyone leasing the old streetside studio would sublease it from CBS.

From what I understand, they lease the ground floor studio space and the first two floors of space above it, plus the garage below. There are 12+ years left on the entire lease according to the streetside studio listing.

Fun fact: The elephant doors to bring large items into the studios (i.e. set pieces) are actually in the mall entry immediately north of the streetside studio.

UPDATE: So the streetside studio space is no longer on the market. Not sure when this happened (late last year/earlier this month maybe), but the leasing signage has been removed and the space is no longer listed on real estate advisor SVN Chicago web site. It's unclear what the future may hold for this space.

Edited by jase

Given the group's new focus on the CBS News Streaming stuff, and that other stations had dedicated CBSN studio space, perhaps they plan on turning it into a proper studio for CBS News Chicago, or a kind of "hub" for the entire CBS News Streaming operation.

If you look at WMAQ's old setup, it's not like you need much to accomplish this. Basically a desk in front of the windows and some lights. They might have to buy some new lights, though. I know they've been holding on to and using fixtures from McClurg Court even on the current news set when it went in.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Kris Habermehl returns to CBS 2. Jim Williams posted on FB a picture of both and the following "Can’t tell you how happy we are to welcome back Kris Habermehl to CBS Chicago. He’s a brilliant broadcaster and a great guy."

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, cbs2worksforyou said:

Dang - watching cbs 2 news at 10 right now and albert ramon is doing the 10pm weather...he also was on for the morning show today too. 

Wow, nobody else was available today, eh? Very rare to see your weeknight evening meteorologist have to do a split shift like that.

Okay, so after a little poking around, Laura Bannon lost her voice, and I'm assuming he was the easiest to call in, this morning. The weird part, to me, is that Robb Ellis was in for Mary Kay at 4 o'clock, and yet they didn't let him take all the evening shifts, and give Albert the rest of the day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the 4pm has been cancelled as my guide and the CBS tv schedule states it's judge judy reruns. Is it bc of NCAA tournament or did they abandoned ship. Also Ed Curran has been off the air for a while. I don't think he left or got fired since he is still promoted as part of the weather team.

Edited by WeatherandTraffic