Random WBBM Thread

ns8401

26 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Big slap in the face to Robb Ellis. He may not be the greatest to ever do it, but he's been an able fill-in since Glaros was dumped. In that position for the better part of a year, viewers of weekday morning have surely warmed up to him by now, only for more turnover.

Unless Mary Kay Kleist is leaving since her husband has a job in Florida. If that's the case, he will take her spot. 

I agree that this is a slap in the face to Robb; it seems like they they felt they needed a Megan for mornings...but just not Megan herself. Way too much turnover still. Will they ever learn to just stop touching their lineup? They still have too many freelancers taking up various spots when actual teams would be much better for cohesion for the station but nothing tells me they're establishing anything solid. 

As an aside, a small part of me actually thought CBS might have tried to lure Bill Bellis, but I figure he probably would've been too expensive and then they'd only have one woman full-time in a team of 4.

3 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I agree that this is a slap in the face to Robb; it seems like they they felt they needed a Megan for mornings...but just not Megan herself. Way too much turnover still. Will they ever learn to just stop touching their lineup? They still have too many freelancers taking up various spots when actual teams would be much better for cohesion for the station but nothing tells me they're establishing anything solid. 

As an aside, a small part of me actually thought CBS might have tried to lure Bill Bellis, but I figure he probably would've been too expensive and then they'd only have one woman full-time in a team of 4.

They may make a play for Bill if Mary Kay decides to leave. Conventional wisdom would suggest she and/or her husband are not going to want to continue to split their time between Chicago and Florida.

Next year will mark 20 years at WBBM for Mary Kay, so it may be an ideal time to leave than get pushed out in the next 2-3 years.

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Well, when Mary Kay is off, like this week, Robb fills in for her. Not Ed, Not Tim. So maybe within the next month, Mary Kay might announce she's leaving to move down to Florida permanently.  And she's been doing her forecasts from the studio for the last couple weeks, though, she could have gotten the vaccine. So maybe when/if she leaves, Robb will replace her. Who knows. 

Edited by WeatherandTraffic

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Chicago News Boy said:

Erin Kennedy is leaving CBS2 

6B44AC17-8905-4BCD-A11A-CDC907815216.png

Erin Kennedy was laid off last May just 3 months after she came back from Maternity leave.

Thats why Audrina Bigos has been anchoring the past year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Chicago News Boy said:

Just goes to show how out of touch I’ve become with CBS 2’s constant musical chairs 😂

Yeah...it's a joke. Its impossible to compete with WGN, WLS and WMAQ with nonsense decision making like this. Constantly changing your anchors is not a good idea...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Yasmeen Hassan is out from CBS 2.  I took a look at the station site and her bio is no longer there nor is her username on the morning news ticker tape (Bottom Of Screen) is shown.

(Screenshot taken, 3/13/2020 during NonStop News Block)

CD05DA4B-1016-4203-BCCA-9DCE091F4A83.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Jackie Kostek, who just recently announced her departure from KTNV in Las Vegas (and is also a WCIU alum), is reportedly coming back home to CBS 2 as a per-diem news/sports reporter. Sports staff has now essentially gone from 1 to 3 in about a year. Tip is from Feder, per yesterday.

Wouldn't it be 4? With the addition of Marshall Harris as sports director, I haven't heard any word of Matt Zahn or Luke Stuckemeyer's coming exit, though I'd certainly bet on one of them.

52 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Wouldn't it be 4? With the addition of Marshall Harris as sports director, I haven't heard any word of Matt Zahn or Luke Stuckemeyer's coming exit, though I'd certainly bet on one of them.

No, you're right. I forgot about Luke lol.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Appears WBBM is launching 4pm news soon. Every station in Chicago will now have news at 4pm.

Again?! Let’s see, the last to anchor CBS 2 news at 4p was Mary-Ann Childers and Derrick Blakley, which Blakley had came from NBC 5. 

Indeed they did. Multiple times, but the last time was from 2003-05, when they expanded from the 4:30pm time slot and as then Antonio Mora was anchoring alongside Childers before Blakley did

I'm not optimistic at the ratings potential, period, but if it's just another hour of Brad & Irika (find a week when both are co-anchoring), with the low-key presentation and super serious mood, it'll be DOA. Besides, a 4th show of the same team will look cheap, even to the casual viewer. Good luck to them, but enjoy the continued battle for 4th place.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 24994J said:

I'm not optimistic at the ratings potential, period, but if it's just another hour of Brad & Irika (find a week when both are co-anchoring), with the low-key presentation and super serious mood, it'll be DOA. Besides, a 4th show of the same team will look cheap, even to the casual viewer. Good luck to them, but enjoy the continued battle for 4th place.

KYW does this already and indeed seems pointless to have the same anchors on that entire time. 

I assume it’s Judge Judy’s replacement.

Edited by TVNewsLover

22 hours ago, 24994J said:

It's boring with the same people on every newscast.  I always liked how ABC 7 had different co-anchors on each newscast in the past years when I used to watch.  All these stations have less programming and all newscasts, it's no wonder ratings are down and people don't care about watching local channels much anymore other than needing them to watch network programs in their area.

• Like 1