Random WBBM Thread

ns8401

4 minutes ago, Newsboy22234 said:

WBBM got new curtains in the newsroom I believe it’s because they hosted the CBS Weekend News this weekend 

Indeed. It's not determined to be permanent but I think it will be because the WBBM newsroom was otherwise drab and not indicative of a particular bureau for global viewing purposes.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 6:35 PM, Roadrunner said:

Indeed. It's not determined to be permanent but I think it will be because the WBBM newsroom was otherwise drab and not indicative of a particular bureau for global viewing purposes.

Screenshot_20201214-085421.thumb.png.6fdb88dfe625949356258ae3a3aedc03.pngThe curtains are just blinds for the windows in the newsroom. They somewhat are still slightly seen.

On 12/20/2020 at 4:39 PM, 24994J said:

@Weeters can surely answer this, but I'm fairly certain CBS was only leasing the 1st floor space. Even if they do own it, they're sure as hell not gonna move back in just because no one is biting on it. That would be expensive and stupid.

Lol, right...WBBM would never do something expensive and stupid 😂

• Haha 3

On 12/20/2020 at 1:39 PM, 24994J said:

@Weeters can surely answer this, but I'm fairly certain CBS was only leasing the 1st floor space. Even if they do own it, they're sure as hell not gonna move back in just because no one is biting on it. That would be expensive and stupid.

The ground floor lease that included the streetside studio also includes the current studio as well as the control room. There are floorplans on the site for the streetside studio space. Anyone leasing the old streetside studio would sublease it from CBS.

From what I understand, they lease the ground floor studio space and the first two floors of space above it, plus the garage below. There are 12+ years left on the entire lease according to the streetside studio listing.

Fun fact: The elephant doors to bring large items into the studios (i.e. set pieces) are actually in the mall entry immediately north of the streetside studio.

• Thanks 2

On 12/18/2020 at 9:41 PM, brb588 said:

I saw the beginning of the 5 PM news and Dave Savini was in front of a window backdrop. Is that a shot from their old studio?

Yes. This is a shot of Dave in the old streetside studio. As previously mentioned, nothing prevents them from using the space given they still lease/control it. The studio is completely gutted, so I wouldn’t read anything into this other than it provides them with a different place for a standup (and to be socially distant).

20CF96CD-DAB1-4DFA-8D20-3418585DA234.thumb.jpeg.9815a80e0e9575cf122762071f8d48ad.jpeg

23 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Was she broadcasting from home or from one or both of the stations' studios?

21 hours ago, 24994J said:

Hmmm I thought she had been in studio in Philly. One of these stations really need to find her a permanent spot in their weather departments. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 8:50 PM, brb588 said:

So the space is CBS', but sits (or I guess "sat") completely unused for over a year? I'm still a little sore that it the first floor studio had a nice set that was totally misused and underutilized. 

I was walking by WBBM today and noticed that they’re building cubicles in the former street side studio. It’s unclear the reasoning behind this/what this space will be used for.

What is clear is that they have been using the space for stand ups for more than a month now.

Edited by jase

4 hours ago, jase said:

I was walking by WBBM today and noticed that they’re building cubicles in the former street side studio. It’s unclear the reasoning behind this/what this space will be used for.

What is clear is that they have been using the space for stand ups for more than a month now.

Maybe they want more newsroom or sales space for social distancing purposes whenever people start coming back into the building. I know that where I am, we've also considered mothballing one of our studios and turning it into a second newsroom.

1 hour ago, C Block said:

Maybe they want more newsroom or sales space for social distancing purposes whenever people start coming back into the building. I know that where I am, we've also considered mothballing one of our studios and turning it into a second newsroom.

Maybe. I’m just surprised CBS is making the effort/spending money to do this. It doesn’t seem like something they would do. Guess we’ll find out soon enough.

I could see a scenario where those going out into the field stick to the first floor, leaving the main newsroom for those who remain at the station through the day. Yes, the pandemic has shown just how much can be done from home, but in many cases there's a certain convenience of having folks in the building. If it means spreading them out, so be it. They definitely have the space.

Could a working "newsroom" be in the works since CBS Evening News Weekend is using the setup in the main newsroom?

Or possibly something that would include a "working" background for CBSN Chicago? WBBM Seems to like the newsroom studio setup more than their state of the art studio upstairs...

• 1 month later...

CBS 2 Hired Laura Bannon as the weekday morning meteorologist. She comes from WSMV in Nashville. 

https://www.facebook.com/LBannonWX/posts/5769627929717866

And Feder just posted.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2021/03/16/napervilles-laura-bannon-headed-home-morning-weather-job-cbs-2/

Edited by NBC 5 Chicago

1 hour ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

CBS 2 Hired Laura Bannon as the weekday morning meteorologist. She comes from WSMV in Nashville. 

https://www.facebook.com/LBannonWX/posts/5769627929717866

And Feder just posted.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2021/03/16/napervilles-laura-bannon-headed-home-morning-weather-job-cbs-2/

Big slap in the face to Robb Ellis. He may not be the greatest to ever do it, but he's been an able fill-in since Glaros was dumped. In that position for the better part of a year, viewers of weekday morning have surely warmed up to him by now, only for more turnover.