Random WBBM Thread

ns8401

On 8/17/2020 at 7:26 PM, Roadrunner said:

This is 3 days late, but re: Vince Gerasole leaving, here's the tribute post from CBS 2: https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/08/14/vince-gerasole-signs-off-today-at-cbs-2-here-are-some-of-his-favorite-stories/

Vince also really looked up to Pam Zekman (from being her intern, then being awestruck at actually being able to become her colleague, then setting up an online virtual tribute for her after her unceremonious lay-off) and it almost seems fitting to ride off into the sunset in the same (sort of) time frame. 

With Erin gone, it's ultimately a smaller morning team, since the breaking news and traffic roles have been combined -- which is a win for the bean counters of course. I also don't think execs want to do away with a traffic anchor in Chi, so ultimately, Yasmeen makes for the best overall morning pseudo-anchor / fill-in anchor they have at the moment without also commanding a large budget (just my speculation), since she's relatively new and still doing traffic like she was at KOVR. For Mugo, I personally think she has potential to move into an anchor chair sometime in the future (maybe weekend mornings if/when Suzanne retires/leaves?) / set for bigger things. 

Speaking of "nonstop news," as you referenced, here's a throwback [https://www.newscaststudio.com/2019/03/08/cbs-2-chicago-nonstop-news/] about that segment that really highlights how much turnover there's been at CBS 2 in just ~1.5 years.

I've got a few "NonStop News" uploads on my YouTube channel from around the time Erin was back from maternity leave. In addition to that, I've also edited a "6:52" compilation where the anchors were next to the desk, which is pretty short but better than nothing

Robb Ellis has effectively replaced Megan, though without a formal announcement, and McGill has been on weekend evenings. If the rumors prove true, and Mary Kay leaves, Tammie could could slide in seamlessly.

4 hours ago, 24994J said:

Robb Ellis has effectively replaced Megan, though without a formal announcement, and McGill has been on weekend evenings. If the rumors prove true, and Mary Kay leaves, Tammie could could slide in seamlessly.

Hopefully Tammie sticks around longer than 2-3 yrs..

• Like 1

I have no clue why Tammie would leave WFLD she had a half way decent audience here in Chicago and it’s not like she was going to a higher market (although markets 1 thru 5 are basically the same) she packed up and left to a city where the people didn’t know her and it back fired. If Tammie would have stayed . They probably would have never hired Kaitlyn and while she seems nice she doesn’t seem like a big market meteorologist. If she would have stayed, WFLD would arguably be the second best weather operation  in Chicago. Bill and Mike are solid chief meteorologist material. I didn’t really like Mark Strehl back in the day but he’s been there 15 years now and has grown on me . And Tammie is a good fit. Now if she goes to WBBM they are gonna throw her and toss her wherever they need a fill in . WFLD management is shaking their head

Edited by Newsboy22234

7 hours ago, former newsboy said:

I'm so saddened by this.  I love Brad.

Wow this was kind of a gut-wrenching read, and I almost wanted it to be longer. I really didn't expect Brad to come down with this and it always sucks seeing anyone get sick. You can really sense some of the raw emotions that he's tried to suppress throughout his career. A bit awkward about the missing comments from Rob and Irika though, but I hope that doesn't mean any hard feelings between any of them, with regards to the tumultuous circumstances at the station. I also found some of his recent tweets interacting with others about the article to reveal some more glimmers into who he is and I know the station is still struggling and many people make a joke out of it, but I'm really pulling for their success and hoping they can all turn a new leaf. 

On 8/17/2020 at 4:26 PM, Roadrunner said:

For Mugo, I personally think she has potential to move into an anchor chair sometime in the future (maybe weekend mornings if/when Suzanne retires/leaves?) / set for bigger things. 

Re: Mugo -- Suzanne is now out on medical leave until this fall and Mugo stepped in yesterday & today, so these doors could definitely open up for her someday.

18 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

A bit awkward about the missing comments from Rob and Irika though, but I hope that doesn't mean any hard feelings between any of them, with regards to the tumultuous circumstances at the station. 

I can understand Rob wanting to leave the past in the past and not comment, but Irika not saying anything is surprising. Things are likely tough for everyone at WBBM and people tend to rallying together for support during times like this.

Granted, none of us know how things are there, but the fact Irika couldn’t manage a kind word or two about Brad is sad.

Edited by jase

20 hours ago, jase said:

I can understand Rob wanting to leave the past in the past and not comment, but Irika not saying anything is surprising. Things are likely tough for everyone at WBBM and people tend to rallying together for support during times like this.

Granted, none of us know how things are there, but the fact Irika couldn’t manage a kind word or two about Brad is sad.

I’m glad I’m not the only one that found Irika’s lack of comment kind of cold. I surely would hope it was just that she couldn’t be reached. I found it kind of rude. 

9 hours ago, Chicago News Boy said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one that found Irika’s lack of comment kind of cold. I surely would hope it was just that she couldn’t be reached. I found it kind of rude. 

Oh no it was very cold and Brad seems like a very genuine guy. I don’t find Ikria 3rd market anchor material either . They need to ship her back to Miami and give Suzanne the main anchor chair or if they are going to be cheap have Brad solo ... idiots

Edited by Newsboy22234
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

To add to the point above: this is about a month old at this point, but I don't recall that Feder mentioned it. Meredith Barack joined the station as a per-diem reporter after leaving WRTV as their morning anchor.

I think there's some potential (despite the fact that the job listing is still listed), but I do think promoting from within actually makes more sense (though I also like the reporters they have on their beats).

• 3 weeks later...

I have no exclusive source for a scoop other than their agent page but WFAA's recently departed Marie Saavedra will be joining WBBM as an anchor/reporter. Expecting a possible switch-up/replacement (....or (shock) a possible expansion!) in the anchor teams at CBS 2. 

Edited to add that the open "anchor/reporter" job listing for the position at WBBM has been closed, so it's safe to assume she is the one they were looking for. If I had to speculate, she'll first be augmenting the weekend team, but I don't know if she'd make more sense joining Jim in the evenings or joining (or even replacing) Suzanne (who's still out on medical) in the mornings. Irika will also be heading towards maternity leave in some time, so this could also affect the existing lineups. 

Edit 2: 

Indisputable confirmation she's onboard CBS 2 -- just waiting to see what shift she'll be headed for

Edited by Roadrunner

12 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I have no exclusive source for a scoop other than their agent page but WFAA's recently departed Marie Saavedra will be joining WBBM as an anchor/reporter. Expecting a possible switch-up/replacement (....or (shock) a possible expansion!) in the anchor teams at CBS 2. 

CUEEEEE THE SMOKE!

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

In what world is CBS suddenly expanding/hiring? They just did a mass cleansing at their O&O's nationwide?

• Like 2

They are slowly hiring back. The layoffs are an excuse to get rid of expensive talent. They are then replaced with cheaper folks.

for example.. pam zekman who was let go, was likely making 400-500K.

this new chick from dallas is probably coming in at 120k.

they still save money

all the O and O’s are slowly hiring back. 

• Like 4

On 10/26/2020 at 4:27 PM, newsman123 said:

They are slowly hiring back. The layoffs are an excuse to get rid of expensive talent. They are then replaced with cheaper folks.

for example.. pam zekman who was let go, was likely making 400-500K.

this new chick from dallas is probably coming in at 120k.

they still save money

all the O and O’s are slowly hiring back. 

Too bad they can't do the decent and respectable thing and remove Pam Zekman's bio from the web site instead of trying to exploit her name/work/image.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jase said:

Too bad they can't do the decent and respectable thing and remove Pam Zekman's bio from the web site instead of trying to exploit her name/work/image.

Same with KCBS. They still list Tara Finestone as their VP/News Director on their website, even though she has been gone for a while.

Nothing really new to add to the Marie news other than:

Robert Feder says she'll be a reporter (not "anchor/reporter" as mentioned on her agent page); we'll see how she goes and if they'll eventually fit her anywhere into the anchor/reporter lineup.

- Here's her official tweet about her arrival:

- And here's her first story with the team:

• 4 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

How many stints has WBBM/CBS2 had a 4pm news? It seems every decade there a 4pm news and then goes away. Does anybody have the times as well WMAQ & 

[WLS which 4pm news seems consistent in the last 30 yrs plus]

Just spit-ballin' off the top of my head, since it's 2am. Others can chime in with more concrete facts.

Honestly, it's probably just easier to figure out when stations have had broadcasts in the 4pm hour, period. WMAQ, for example, flip-flopped between 4 and 4:30 for most of this century before expanding to the full hour in 2016. WBBM, on the other hand, was fairly consistent with a 4:30 newscast, abandoning the hour entirely in like 2004 or so. Both stations maintained 4:30 shows through the 90's, instead ditching 6pm newscasts for a time, as syndicated fare gave them a more competitive alternative to the juggernaut entry on WLS. Whenever both were absent from 4pm in the early 2000's, WLS would tout their exclusivity in their open. WGN entered the race in like 2014, and WFLD just this year. All 4 stations air an hour at 4, with WBBM being the only holdout, but Judge Judy (even if they continue with reruns next year) surely rates better than if they did news.

• Like 2