Random WBBM Thread

ns8401

Here’s a direct link to the listing. 

Heres the blueprint taken directly from the lease brochure.  It appears that it’s pretty much the former studio space and doesn’t include bathrooms unless that’s what’s along the diagonal line. I assume that one big white area next what looks like a garage ramp is the current studio. 

EC5DE997-055A-4B99-A4AD-65893E905D80.thumb.jpeg.e9e4a19d4b839b4044c517666129b41e.jpeg

Are these blacked out windows (where the supposed LED screen was to be) part of the CBS space or the second floor of the listing?

B72C9A0E-1FF3-48B5-8D45-032A1B17591F.thumb.jpeg.21f12cbf96efe926115727efec2ae4bb.jpeg

The space behind the area where the jumbotron was to go is the HVAC and lighting grid space. The other studio on the same floor (the big room on the right side of the floorplan) has a catwalk along one side, though I'm not sure if the streetside studio does. 

A bathroom would be fairly easy to plumb, since there's a set just right of the streetside studio The shaded ares marked NIC/Not In Contract seem to refer to this plan's original use as an office space furnishing plan (They seriously couldn't dig up a better floorplan??) Obviously you don't need office furniture in the bathroom so it's marked NIC.

On 5/31/2019 at 2:55 AM, Weeters said:

A bathroom would be fairly easy to plumb, since there's a set just right of the streetside studio The shaded ares marked NIC/Not In Contract seem to refer to this plan's original use as an office space furnishing plan (They seriously couldn't dig up a better floorplan??) Obviously you don't need office furniture in the bathroom so it's marked NIC.

Is the NIC marked area the studio or the big white space next to what looks like a ramp?

2 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Is the NIC marked area the studio or the big white space next to what looks like a ramp?

It's the big open space just left of the ramp space and right of the elevator banks.

2 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Here’s a better floor plan I’d say courtesy of the City of Chicago in 2015 (p. 6).

D45ACF30-23F9-43FD-94A4-555964D915F3.thumb.jpeg.aa2a224868fbebbc05eab2be5c7b3a9d.jpeg

That's the entirety of the block, which does actually expose another oddity about the WBBM space: the only way to get extremely large items (i.e. large set pieces that wouldn't fit in an elevator from the docks below) in and out of the studios is through one of the Block 37 mall entrances. You can see the oversized doors next to the revolving door on Google Streetview, and on that plan you can see the large double doors leading into the hallway between the studios.

That mall entrance likely would have also been the audience staging area, had they ever landed the talk show or whatever they initially intended the current news studio to be used for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

It's really a shame that WBBM doesn't utilize the streetside studio at all anymore. It's initial iteration was beautiful. Does NBC 5 still have a streetside studio?

Nope, NBC 5 terminated their lease on the streetside studio (it wasn't in their own building) back in 2012. ABC 7 is the only one in the market still using a streetside studio.

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Sounds like changes are ahead on the morning show.

I'm not necessarily against this. Baker appeared to be a competent newsreader when he filled in over the summer, and exudes infinitely more personality than Mike Puccinelli. Mike's a pro's pro reporter, but bland as hell on the desk. If I were to guess, Audrina's new role will likely set her up as a CBSN Chicago anchor, post-morning show. As for the new traffic anchor, she came from California, and it looks like she's already enjoying her time here.

Edited by 24994J

35 minutes ago, brb588 said:

It is more lucrative to be a morning anchor than the lead sport anchor? It seems like starting over to me.

In some stations/markets, it might be...but this is WBBM. They're in the throw-anything-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks phase, like it's going to do much for them anyway ratings-wise.

(And yet Black Rock hasn't done too much about it, sooo...)