Random WBBM Thread

ns8401

Actually, I think they were their own formal arrangements. This article says references Linda filling in that spring of 2002...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2002-03-15-0203150284-story,amp.html

Now, I don't know if Tracy returned and but didn't get the 10 back, but Linda was the late anchor in September, when other changes were made. Maybe they liked the Antonio-Linda duo, and a temporary deal was made permanent, but then I'd still call his first time with Tracy as a permanent team, as the original intention was probably for her to come back to it.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/.amp/news/wbbm-tv-shuffle-72973

Edited by 24994J

On 3/15/2019 at 8:51 AM, 24994J said:

Okay, time for some fun on a Friday! Who here can list EVERY 10 o'clock anchor team on WBBM since Lester & Lester were demoted at the start of the century?

Grab your pencils, get set, and GO! No cheating at the answers below. (I admittedly forgot 2 of these tenures.)

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/03/15/cbs-2s-revolving-door-takes-another-spin/

A look back at CBS 2’s ever-changing 10pm anchor lineup:

• Carol Marin (2000)
  • David Kerley & Linda MacLennan (2000-01)
  • David Kerley & Tracy Townsend (2001-02)
  • Antonio Mora & Tracy Townsend (2002)
  • Antonio Mora & Linda MacLennan (2002-03)
  • Antonio Mora & Tracy Townsend (2003)
  • Antonio Mora & Diann Burns (2003-07)
  • Rob Johnson & Diann Burns (2007-08)
  • Rob Johnson & Anne State (2008-09)
  • Rob Johnson (2009-10)
  • Rob Johnson & Kate Sullivan (2010-15)
  • Rob Johnson & Irika Sargent (2015-19)
  • Brad Edwards & Irika Sargent (2019)

Didn't think lists were allowed. Moderator??

4 hours ago, 24994J said:

List threads aren't allowed. A list within a normal discussion is fine.

This. @24994J is illustrating a point here that the 10pm anchor lineups are a revolving door (chair?) of talent.

But a thread like "10PM Anchors in Your Market" is a no-go.

Also, I should add, hijacking a normal thread to insert irrelevant lists is also not good. We don't need a list of other station's 10pm anchor history.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

At this point CBS just need to be content with their ratings. Still can’t believe this is the 13th anchor change in 20 years. CBS O&O stations in general are having this problem of low ratings and turnovers with the exception of WCCO and KDKA  (I believe). 

Sidenote: Brad Edwards looks more like a weatherman with that salt and pepper hair ..ie Dallas Raines. 

Edited by Daybreak
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Daybreak said:

At this point CBS just need to be content with their ratings. Still can’t believe this is the 13th anchor change in 20 years. CBS O&O stations in general are having this problem of low ratings and turnovers with the exception of WCCO and KDKA  (I believe). 

Sidenote: Brad Edwards looks more like a weatherman with that salt and pepper hair ..ie Dallas Raines. 

What CBS really needs to do (but won't) is leave them the heck alone. At some point, you have to give your local people the opportunity and support needed to right the ship. Plus, they need a GM who is willing to be both an advocate (push back at corporate when necessary) and visionary (put together the right set of newsroom managers (ND, EPs, etc..). No need to reinvent the wheel here, but really have an open and honest 'self-reflection' to address where the problems lie.    

Edited by jase
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, jase said:

What CBS really needs to do (but won't) is leave them the heck alone. At some point, you have to give your local people the opportunity and support needed to right the ship. Plus, they need a GM who is willing to be both an advocate (push back at corporate when necessary) and visionary (put together the right set of newsroom managers (ND, EPs, etc..). No need to reinvent the wheel here, but really have an open and honest 'self-reflection' to address where the problems lie.    

That is true, but also how long was Kiernan steering the ship? Almost 10 years. As of Jeff Harris, I may be the only one but I am liking their newscasts. Especially not being afraid of leading the 10PM News with Investigations. It is a different product and I hope that Chicagoans do take notice of that fact. Just with Dave Savini's investigation of Sterogenics and the subsequent passing of Matt Heller and his last interview on CBS 2, that was great journalism. However, I would love to see Mai and Jim together again and a better morning news team. It was a mistake to have let Roseanne go. The 5,6 & 10pm should've been hers.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2019 at 7:10 PM, Daybreak said:

Don't forget WJZ in Baltimore. They just got a new set after 20 years.  Many of their staff retired and the young ones have moved on to other markets.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I think it's fine too.

And I get the point: the news is all around town, not at the desk; the anchors just relay it to us from it.

Plus, some of the best news stations in the country have put out corny-er promos than this before and they get praised, so...

25 minutes ago, HulkieD said:

I dunno.  Seems fine to me.

WPVI had a rather classic promo some years back focusing on their microphones.  This is kind of the same thing.

I just don't see it as impactful enough to draw viewers in. So when breaking news happens, is one of them going to be out in the field reporting on it and not 'behind the desk'? If so, great, but there has to be action behind the words. Doing a soft feature and/or an investigative piece here and there won't cut it. I'm not convinced they're going to do anything different than what they have done before. 

Brad Edwards comes from the investigative core. I can't say I've seen Irika do any long-form reporting in 4 years here. That's about the only thing about the promo that doesnt sit well with me. Otherwise, I get the point, even if the execution isn't 100%. Won't change anyone's viewing habits, either way.

20 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Brad Edwards comes from the investigative core. I can't say I've seen Irika do any long-form reporting in 4 years here. That's about the only thing about the promo that doesnt sit well with me. Otherwise, I get the point, even if the execution isn't 100%. Won't change anyone's viewing habits, either way.

He does well in the investigation area, but he not lead material anchor.  Irika, I think she just a news reader. Idk if she did any reporting at WFOR.  There always the one that just read the news & those that are versatile as anchor/reporter. 

I wonder if the station would let her do any legal material since she has a law degree in her background.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:25 PM, Breaking News said:

He does well in the investigation area, but he not lead material anchor.  Irika, I think she just a news reader. Idk if she did any reporting at WFOR.  There always the one that just read the news & those that are versatile as anchor/reporter. 

I wonder if the station would let her do any legal material since she has a law degree in her background.

Some larger stations (and networks) have writers still - does WBBM?

I've seen this idea used before, though I can't remember where (possibly WBBM?).  It was either about an empty studio or an empty newsroom. 

I don't mind it, though the execution seems off. And showing the anchors at the desk at end feels like it undoes the whole premise of the promo.

• 3 weeks later...

To the surprise of nobody, 'BBM is shrinking in more than just ratings. From Feder...

In the latest retreat, the CBS-owned station is looking to rent out its former street-front studio in the Loop. Once touted as the crown jewel of the building (along with CBS 2’s long-dismantled Jumbotron), it’s become a white elephant for the company. 

(I pass the building all the time during my lunch breaks and I'm surprised this wasn't done prior.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, okiechi said:

To the surprise of nobody, 'BBM is shrinking in more than just ratings. From Feder...

(I pass the building all the time during my lunch breaks and I'm surprised this wasn't done prior.)

I was surprised it hadn't happened yet. This was in the discussion since years before they actually stopped using the studio. I wonder if they had to wait the full 10 years before being allowed to put it up for rent.

1 hour ago, Spring Rubber said:

I was surprised it hadn't happened yet. This was in the discussion since years before they actually stopped using the studio. I wonder if they had to wait the full 10 years before being allowed to put it up for rent.

They attempted to sublease space (including the street side studio) 10 yrs ago, to no avail. Doubtful they're going to get any takers this time around.