Random WBBM Thread

ns8401

13 hours ago, Breaking News said:

Robert Feder said Insiders are saying she'll go to FOX32 and FTVLIVE.com just repeating what Robert said.  Why not NBC5? No shade to

Allison Rosati, but um...Who going to be next after her?  I don't want to be that person...., but is she really a big deal in Chicago?  We hear all about the

ABC7 folks and here & there are CBS2 people. Of course, you have WGN and then FOX32 they do try.  It just seems NBC5 people don't get the cache like ABC7.

Marion would likely succeed Allison if she were to retire. Allison and Marion are close in age (Rosati is like 3 months older) and neither seem ready to pull a Kathy Brock and retire any time soon. That said, there isn't room at WMAQ, WLS and WGN, so WFLD is the logical choice given they have an opening and could use a vet like Roseanne.

Edited by jase
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jase said:

Marion would likely succeed Allison if she were to retire. Allison and Marion are close in age (Rosati is like 3 months older) and neither seem ready to pull a Kathy Brock and retire any time soon. That said, there isn't room at WMAQ, WLS and WGN, so WFLD is the logical choice given they have an opening and could use a vet like Roseanne.

Which capacity could you see her in at FOX?  Could you see her on Good Day Chicago?  Now here my wishful hope.  When Nexstar gets it hooks into WGN.  That many from WGN will flock over to FOX32 to give them the

much-needed jolt.   Another question is why is CBS 2 (it seems just speculation) that CBS runs WBBM on a shoestring budget?  They don't have the cache of talent that pops out.

37 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

Which capacity could you see her in at FOX?  Could you see her on Good Day Chicago?  Now here my wishful hope.  When Nexstar gets it hooks into WGN.  That many from WGN will flock over to FOX32 to give them the much-needed jolt.   Another question is why is CBS 2 (it seems just speculation) that CBS runs WBBM on a shoestring budget?  They don't have the cache of talent that pops out.

Tough to say what role Roseanne would have. My guess is Kristen could be given the boot and she replaces her on the 'Live Desk' and Friday/Saturday with Rafer or she takes over from Sally on Good Day Sat./Sun. and reports during the week, etc..

WFLD seems to be the place to be, but they have a lot of high-priced talent and have been known to cut beyond the bone in the past. Thankfully, current management appears to know what they're doing, but I don't see them picking up anyone new without replacing someone currently on staff.

Edited by jase
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As surprised as I am, I figured it could be his turn when they inexplicably recently renewed Irika Sargent.  The ax had no where else to fall, unfortunately.  One could make the case that 12 years is long enough to prove unsuccessful, but they'd be wrong.  Channel 2 saw ratings growth under Johnson, both as a solo anchor and when he was paired with Kate Sullivan.  Management failed to keep the ball roillling.  I was never wild about Rob, but I can't see them doing better.  Brad Edwards?  I personally like Brad, but he's an odd duck to say the least.  Don't see the masses appreciating his style.  And I've seen him fill-in alongside Irika that ONE time, there's nothing there.

As for Marissa, it's terrible to say but it's the cold hard truth: if she didn't gain all that weight, the insufferable Erin Kennedy would have rightfully taken the fall instead.

Well, this is stupid.

FTVLive had this this morning. Might this just be the beginning of a repeat of 2008 across the O&O's?

Cuts Coming to CBS Stations
FTVLive has been telling you this is coming and now the boss says so.
CBS interim CEO Joe Ianniello told analysts at a conference in Palm Beach yesterday, “We expect to … get $100 million in cost savings,” he said.

Some of that costs is expected to come from the CBS O&O’s.

FTVLive told you that when talent contracts at the CBS come up, “flat is the news raise” and most often talent is offered less money in the new deal to stay on with the station. 

Now, word is that CBS is going to looking for each O&O to make cost saving cuts, just so CBS can please stockholders with their bottom line.

Edited by 24994J

Just now, 24994J said:

Well, this is stupid.

FTVLive had this this morning. Might this just be the beginning of a repeat of 2008 across the O&O's?

Take solace in the fact that they got a new set before the blood bath begins. They should have given Rob's spot to Jim, but I guess they didn't want to break up the only pair that works.

Edited by jase

25 minutes ago, jase said:

They should have given Rob's spot to Jim, but I guess they didn't want to break up the only pair that works.

Actually, no. Jim and Mai have been broken up, with her going solo on Saturday nights, and him on Sundays.

Really.

4 hours ago, former newsboy said:

As for Marissa, it's terrible to say but it's the cold hard truth: if she didn't gain all that weight, the insufferable Erin Kennedy would have rightfully taken the fall instead.

Yeah, but isn't she pregnant? That's really crappy to do that, and since her contract was ending, as opposed to her being fired, she probably has no recourse.

WBBM is now officially at the bottom in the Chicago news market.They break up Jim and Mai the only news team was actually good then they get rid or Rob there flagship anchor. I understand they need to trim the fat but how about cancelling the weekend morning news reassigning Suzanne to weekday morning solo and just have Rob solo just do everything solo because the talent there bringing in from smaller markets is just making the content seem overwhelming cheap quality newscasts over quantity of newscasts please

4 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

I hope Rob ends up at WGN. It would be perfect for him.

To do what? They have a heavy bench and once Nexstar gets their greedy hands it will cut, cut, cut.  Maybe he could go back to ABC7. Don't know if there's room at NBC5 or FOX32.

I see once Nexstar deal is done at WGN if FOX plays their hand right. They would snag many WGN talent at FOX32 to win and beat WGN. 

Honestly, I'm not sure where he fits in at any of the other 4 stations. With all due respect, Marissa could probably settle in nicely as a reporter/fill-in anchor somewhere, but Rob has too much built up to be just a reporter, and I don't know where an obvious (weekday) anchor role would be opening up anytime soon. ABC 7 is all locked up across the board, as is WGN. I maintain that FOX32 is in a holding pattern in the mornings, until they figure out what's going to happen at 9, but would they entertain the thought of Rob as 6-9am morning anchor (the only spot that seems up for grabs sooner rather than later). NBC5 might be the strongest contender, if they're interested. By my math, Dick Johnson is around 70, so who knows his long term plans, and ratings are showing weakness across the board on weekdays. Are they satisfied with Alex Maragos in the mornings, Patrick Fazio at 4, or even Rob Stafford at night? If they're lukewarm on any of those 3, things could be wide open for an outsider, as their internal male anchor bench is eternally thin.

5 hours ago, 24994J said:

Honestly, I'm not sure where he fits in at any of the other 4 stations. With all due respect, Marissa could probably settle in nicely as a reporter/fill-in anchor somewhere, but Rob has too much built up to be just a reporter, and I don't know where an obvious (weekday) anchor role would be opening up anytime soon. ABC 7 is all locked up across the board, as is WGN. I maintain that FOX32 is in a holding pattern in the mornings, until they figure out what's going to happen at 9, but would they entertain the thought of Rob as 6-9am morning anchor (the only spot that seems up for grabs sooner rather than later). NBC5 might be the strongest contender, if they're interested. By my math, Dick Johnson is around 70, so who knows his long term plans, and ratings are showing weakness across the board on weekdays. Are they satisfied with Alex Maragos in the mornings, Patrick Fazio at 4, or even Rob Stafford at night? If they're lukewarm on any of those 3, things could be wide open for an outsider, as their internal male anchor bench is eternally thin.

I think WFLD is settled on the team at 5 & 9. It's the morning that they want to strengthen. Having Sylvia, Mike and now Roseanne helps improve the product/ratings. Not sure if they would part ways with/reassign Scott to make room for Rob. From what I can gather, everyone at WFLD is super supportive of each other and is very one team/one goal focused. Still, it's strange to see Anthony as Corey's backup and not someone a bit stronger.

WMAQ seems high on Alex and Patrick, so no change there and Stafford is there for life. He would have to be at death's door (not wishing that at all) for them to make a change. And even then, Stafford would be the one making the decision because WMAQ is not known for pushing anyone who's sick (Warner, Mike being perfect examples) out. Now if Dick retires, Rob could take is spot, but Dick seems to be going strong/in perfect health.

Rob may have to sit on the sidelines for awhile until something happens (if he wants to stay in this market).

Okay, time for some fun on a Friday! Who here can list EVERY 10 o'clock anchor team on WBBM since Lester & Linda were demoted at the start of the century?

Grab your pencils, get set, and GO! No cheating at the answers below. (I admittedly forgot 2 of these tenures.)

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/03/15/cbs-2s-revolving-door-takes-another-spin/

A look back at CBS 2’s ever-changing 10pm anchor lineup:

• Carol Marin (2000)
  • David Kerley & Linda MacLennan (2000-01)
  • David Kerley & Tracy Townsend (2001-02)
  • Antonio Mora & Tracy Townsend (2002)
  • Antonio Mora & Linda MacLennan (2002-03)
  • Antonio Mora & Tracy Townsend (2003)
  • Antonio Mora & Diann Burns (2003-07)
  • Rob Johnson & Diann Burns (2007-08)
  • Rob Johnson & Anne State (2008-09)
  • Rob Johnson (2009-10)
  • Rob Johnson & Kate Sullivan (2010-15)
  • Rob Johnson & Irika Sargent (2015-19)
  • Brad Edwards & Irika Sargent (2019)
Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2