Random WBBM Thread

ns8401

Being such a huge fan of hers, I've been buzzing about this all week. I think these spots debuted last weekend, at least that's when I first saw one. And I was FREAKING OUT! Not that I understand what the hell CBS Eye on the Community is. Anyway, I'm hoping against hope that there's more to this, much more. I mean why else would they tap HER for this? They could have much more easily had someone already on staff do these.

I've been good, keeping my affinity for Mary Ann Childers at bay on here because I always figured it was a pipe dream she'd ever be back on the news. I get how the business has changed, and I accepted it. But when they go and do something like this, I'm sorry, all bets are off and it's not my fault!

And how great does she look?!? Hasn't age a day since she was unceremoniously let go nearly 10 years ago already. She's just so classy, the consummate professional. OK I could go on and on about her but I won't, you get it - I'm obsessed. But I will say this, Irika Sargent will be at Channel 2 two years October 19th. So if it was a two-year deal, ummm... And we all know Irika's done diddly for the ratings. Seriously, they might as well have a robot doing the news - that's exactly what she's like - one of those computer avatars. But I don't want to rip Irika too much, its not like she's a beyotch or anything. She just brings nothing to the table.

Rob & Mary Ann together however would be ah-mazing. And I was never a huge Rob Johnson fan, but by now he's won me over. Just about 20 years in Chicago, he just quietly marked 10 years as CBS 2 10pm anchor (I think Bill, Walter, and Linda are the only other people on earth who can say that). And he's a great anchor, very smooth. And at this point, who are they going to get that's better than him? Unless Ron Magers is sick of retirement yet ;)

But what I was getting at is Rob & Mary Ann have a history, he auditioned back in 1998 to be her morning co-anchor before landing at WLS. They worked great together when he came to Channel 2, and most of all they've maintained a friendship ever since. Rob and his wife Stacy often get together with Jay & Mary Ann. The point is, Rob & Mary Ann have a chemistry on-air and off, and have a mutual respect for each other. And since they're both market veterans, her re-addition could be EXACTLY what Channel 2 so desperately needs. OMG, could this actually be happening?!!?

• Like 2

Being such a huge fan of hers, I've been buzzing about this all week. I think these spots debuted last weekend, at least that's when I first saw one. And I was FREAKING OUT! Not that I understand what the hell CBS Eye on the Community is. Anyway, I'm hoping against hope that there's more to this, much more. I mean why else would they tap HER for this? They could have much more easily had someone already on staff do these.

I've been good, keeping my affinity for Mary Ann Childers at bay on here because I always figured it was a pipe dream she'd ever be back on the news. I get how the business has changed, and I accepted it. But when they go and do something like this, I'm sorry, all bets are off and it's not my fault!

And how great does she look?!? Hasn't age a day since she was unceremoniously let go nearly 10 years ago already. She's just so classy, the consummate professional. OK I could go on and on about her but I won't, you get it - I'm obsessed. But I will say this, Irika Sargent will be at Channel 2 two years October 19th. So if it was a two-year deal, ummm... And we all know Irika's done diddly for the ratings. Seriously, they might as well have a robot doing the news - that's exactly what she's like - one of those computer avatars. But I don't want to rip Irika too much, its not like she's a beyotch or anything. She just brings nothing to the table.

Rob & Mary Ann together however would be ah-mazing. And I was never a huge Rob Johnson fan, but by now he's won me over. Just about 20 years in Chicago, he just quietly marked 10 years as CBS 2 10pm anchor (I think Bill, Walter, and Linda are the only other people on earth who can say that). And he's a great anchor, very smooth. And at this point, who are they going to get that's better than him? Unless Ron Magers is sick of retirement yet ;)

But what I was getting at is Rob & Mary Ann have a history, he auditioned back in 1998 to be her morning co-anchor before landing at WLS. They worked great together when he came to Channel 2, and most of all they've maintained a friendship ever since. Rob and his wife Stacy often get together with Jay & Mary Ann. The point is, Rob & Mary Ann have a chemistry on-air and off, and have a mutual respect for each other. And since they're both market veterans, her re-addition could be EXACTLY what Channel 2 so desperately needs. OMG, could this actually be happening?!!?

Stations tap ex-talent for random stuff like this all the time. WTMJ hired former Health Reporter (back when that was a thing) Kimberly Kane to do the "Every Day Health" campaign they do with Froedert Hospital.

I doubt these spots are enough to even get her a CBS email address. If she does make more of a return, I doubt it will be to the anchor desk.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I believe you, but where did you see this? I couldn't find anything.

You obviously didn’t try hard enough. Google her name and WBBM and it’s first thing that comes up: http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/on-the-move-41/199457

ns4801, he doesn’t believe you, otherwise he wouldn’t be asking for your source.

• Like 1

You obviously didn’t try hard enough. Google her name and WBBM and it’s first thing that comes up: http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/on-the-move-41/199457

ns4801, he doesn’t believe you, otherwise he wouldn’t be asking for your source.

Cool your shorts, it wasn't (and still isn't) coming up when I searched her name, so that's why I asked.

1225441882_bandicam2018-01-2318-00-34-963.thumb.png.1944d37704563e874f9b28907993da10.png

Cool your shorts, it wasn't (and still isn't) coming up when I searched her name, so that's why I asked.

[ATTACH=full]5282[/ATTACH]

I’m wearing pants. :D

Also, I said google her name AND WBBM.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In today's edition of Unnecessary Newscast Expansions That Nobody Will Watch, CBS2 has seemingly added a Saturday 6pm newscast, in addition to the news at 5. In the past, if the 5 was bumped for sports, nothing would air til late, but I first caught the 6 a few weeks back. The 5 and 6 tandom is also on the DVR guide for next Saturday, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't judge me, but what the hell is Channel 2 doing with their top met spot? As hard as it was to bid adieu to Steve Baskerville, at least I was reassured they'd be rotating fill-ins until a permanent replacement was named. Instead, Mary Kay Kleist has shifted to weeknights (every single weeknight) and newcomer Robb Ellis fills-in for Mary Kay on weekends.

Now don't get wrong, I know Mary Kay is beyond qualified and has put in her time and is deserving of the top spot. But so is Ed Curran and even Megan Glaros. It's just that Mary Kay lacks any appeal beyond what she offers on paper. Of course I don't want just another weather bunny, all I'm asking for is some personality, which I know Channel 2 detests. So I guess Mary Kay is very safe in that department.

But I just don't get it. Ed is an asset to the station. And Megan is more than just a bunny. All I can hope is that Channel 2 has something up their sleeve and is just biding their time until they can make the move they really want to make. Like singing Mike Caplan (when is his contract up?). Or AMY FREEZE please! Chicago loved her, and she's been stuck on weekend mornings in NY forever. Come on back!

• Like 2

Don't judge me, but what the hell is Channel 2 doing with their top met spot? As hard as it was to bid adieu to Steve Baskerville, at least I was reassured they'd be rotating fill-ins until a permanent replacement was named. Instead, Mary Kay Kleist has shifted to weeknights (every single weeknight) and newcomer Robb Ellis fills-in for Mary Kay on weekends.

Now don't get wrong, I know Mary Kay is beyond qualified and has put in her time and is deserving of the top spot. But so is Ed Curran and even Megan Glaros. It's just that Mary Kay lacks any appeal beyond what she offers on paper. Of course I don't want just another weather bunny, all I'm asking for is some personality, which I know Channel 2 detests. So I guess Mary Kay is very safe in that department.

But I just don't get it. Ed is an asset to the station. And Megan is more than just a bunny. All I can hope is that Channel 2 has something up their sleeve and is just biding their time until they can make the move they really want to make. Like singing Mike Caplan (when is his contract up?). Or AMY FREEZE please! Chicago loved her, and she's been stuck on weekend mornings in NY forever. Come on back!

Ed has paid his dues and he deserves the chief meteorologist spot. Not to knock Mary Kay or anything, but Ed just has....it.

• Like 2

I don't think they have much control at the local level to make decisions. If I'm not mistaken, NYC (corporate) has the ultimate say. Also, Ed was sidelined/off-air for like 2+ years unable to go anywhere (he was still under contract) before they brought him back. My guess is that someone doesn't think too highly of him and that's why he wasn't named Steve's successor much less shifted to weekend nights temporarily to fill in for Mary Kay.

• 2 weeks later...
Despite not making any significant accomplishments during his tenure, I would give kudos to Kiernan for being on this long.

Would Janet Hundley make an appereance at CBS 2 as the new chief or would they promote the Assistant News Director? Or poach from WGN?

Despite not making any significant accomplishments during his tenure, I would give kudos to Kiernan for being on this long.

He gets no kudos from me. He was lucky enough to work for a GM who was just as ineffective as he was. Then when she bails, so does he. Couldn’t even wait until a new GM is named or, at the very least, a month before leaving. Quite the leader he is.

• Like 5

He gets no kudos from me. He was lucky enough to work for a GM who was just as ineffective as he was. Then when she bails, so does he. Couldn’t even wait until a new GM is named or, at the very least, a month before leaving. Quite the leader he is.

Maybe he did not want to wait for a new one who would fire him