Random WBBM Thread

ns8401

I wonder why they have it covered to begin with

WBBM has loathed the fact they have a streetside studio since about a month after they moved in to it. There were rumors a few years ago that they were trying to get out of using it. I believe their 10-year commitment to the city to use that space as a television studio is going to be up next year, so we'll see what happens then.

If you haven't noticed, the newsroom windows are also all covered over. I feel like they got homesick for the old McClurg Court facility and went around covering over everything that could possibly let sunlight in.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

If anyone's interested, you should check out the end credits on tonight's 10PM news. Channel 2 never does credits on it's newscasts (well they used to years ago) but I guess since it's the end of the year, the holidays, and the weekend, they've gone all-out and put together a completely thorough acknowledgment of everyone at the station. The production value is incredible - the graphics, the visuals, the music. I know this because I caught the tail-end of them last weekend on both Christmas Eve & Christmas Day and was really kicking myself for missing the whole thing. TWICE. So I flipped it on last night thinking maybe they were gonna do it for New Years too, and to my delight, they did! But OF COURSE I only caught the tail-end AGAIN. So tonight, no matter what, I'm going to make sure I see the whole ending because it's definitely my last chance being New Years Day and all. Even if that means waiting 'til 11:30 or 12 because according to my Comcast grids, CBS 2 News at 10 is scheduled to start at 10:30 because of football I'm sure, so there's a likely chance it will be even later than that. And since the news is an hour on the weekends, 11:25ish would be the earliest the credits would air. Maybe a minute or two earlier since, like I said, it's quite the lengthy production. So I'm allowing for anything 'cause I'm such a dork (even a possible 10PM on-time start), and I invite anyone as dorky as me to do the same. And if anyone wants to record it and post it, that would be AWESOME because I don't know how to do such things. Thank you and Happy New Year!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cool as heck! Was just gonna post this myself! Really happy for her, one of my all-time favorites. And one of the best female voices in news, I know she'll sound great on the radio - just like Robin Robinson did. Channel 2 would be smart to bring them both back on. I got all excited with that Robert Feder column a while back speculating that was maybe in the works for Robin.

• Like 1

It took everyone to get a new set before they finally hop on the boat huh

Mabye there getting new monitors at least

Their lease is up on the streetside studio next year, so unless I missed something, I doubt this would be the reason why the windows are covered up again, would it? I know last fall they were covered, then they took the covers off, and now the covers are back. I doubt they'd be spending too much money on an upgrade to a set that they're gonna be moving out of next year, maybe they aren't at the same comfort level as WLS and WGN Radio and just got tired of people on the street peeking in?

That giant screen outside their studio is perpetually on and off constantly, too, I'm hoping that they get around to fixing that thing for good and leaving it on, it's always been a really cool addition (even though they initially intended for a big display to wrap around that section of the building, which I think they should eventually still work on doing now that LED technology is only getting cheaper, it can't be as expensive to do today as in 2007).

• Like 2

WBBM covers there windows up for the 11am 5 and 6 pm because the sun is the brighest then the sun gives off a glare to their studio. And W Washington is right across the street from Daley Plaza but its a main work area M-F 9am to 5p its busy if youve ever watched the morning updates and they look outside the sidewalks are completely filled up and the bike lanes are filled alomg with the fact the traffics backed up as well thats when the video board is on 5pm same story people are going home at 6pm theres still people out there but at 10 theres only a few people out there. WBBM also only keeps the video board on during busy times of the day as well unless its Christmas time then its on all the time. compared to WLS on State St theres people always out there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From Feder, Lionel Moise is out is AM co-anchor. His last day at the anchor chair was today.

In his place is current weekend anchor Marissa Bailey. She will take the role June 26.

And returning to the weekend morning anchor chair to replace Bailey is Suzanne Le Mignot, in which she anchored the broadcast from 2006 until the station yanked it in 2009 (it returned three years later with Bailey as anchor).

Man, what could have been had Randy Salerno not passed away when he did. They were on the up and up with the team of Randy and Roseanne. Sadly, I think it's one of those things that this station will never be able to overcome, no matter how hard they try.

I'm not sure what the solution should be at this point, but it's clear that what they've tried over the years has not, and will not work.

• Like 5

I'm not sure what the solution should be at this point, but it's clear that what they've tried over the years has not, and will not work.

They need a new GM and ND for starters. It's time for some fresh faces behind the scenes to create a new vision for the station.

• Like 4