Random WBBM Thread

ns8401

i've said this before why is it that rob goes through co anchors very frequently?

One would assume that management doesn't believe he's the problem which why he has outlasted 4 different co-anchors. They are willing to back him no matter what the reason behind their ratings woes are.

• Like 1

Because during 2009 and early 2010 whrn Rob was solo they had a solid #2 for 10pm ratings

I just assumed this was more a function of NBC 2.0 rather than Rob Johnson. Didn't all CBS O&Os see a bump while Zucker gutted NBC for the Comcast takeover?

I just assumed this was more a function of NBC 2.0 rather than Rob Johnson. Didn't all CBS O&Os see a bump while Zucker gutted NBC for the Comcast takeover?

Rob, as a solo anchor, was also the third most-tenured anchor "team" in town, in mid-2009. Fox, with an established team (Goldblatt/Robinson at 9, Novarro/Cohn at The Ten), was still getting over Suppelsa's exit. WGN was in transition with Sanders/Payne shifting to Suppelsa/Materre. NBC, while tighten its belt, was also dealing with Saunders' retirement, Sirott's sudden exit, and having to settle for Stafford. Magers and Brock were dominant and untouchable, but #2 was up for grabs, so it wasn't too hard for Rob and CBS to move up the ladder.

CBS in general makes the best sets out of any O&O group in its markets (except WJZ, but that doesn't count)

i think they should sell WJZ they don't invest in it at all its a waste someone like TENGA or TRIBUNE WOULD INVEST IN it what tv stations Keep The Same Set for almost 20 years (WITH NO MAJOR UPGRADES) or NEW GRAPHICS

• Like 2

i think they should sell WJZ they don't invest in it at all its a waste someone like TENGA or TRIBUNE WOULD INVEST IN it what tv stations Keep The Same Set for almost 20 years (WITH NO MAJOR UPGRADES) or NEW GRAPHICS
I think you meant to spell it as TEGNA not TENGA (the confusion is still around, but that's a different topic), and I agree with you on that one. CBS should either invest in WJZ for once with a new set and new graphics or sell it off to TEGNA (I would say they could sell WJZ to Tribune, but buying it would put it over the cap).
  • Like 3

I saw WBBM's newscast for the first time in ages a few nights ago. It looks like they've finally decided to replace the burned-out lights...compared to a few years ago when it looked like they were just gonna let the set fall apart.

I guess it's still a nice set, but it's bizarre that it's spent like 6 years being used in this unintended format compared to the, what, 5 months under Ahern where the set was used according to its original design. Is there still talk of them ever moving out of that streetside studio, or is that talk dead in the water?

Is there still talk of them ever moving out of that streetside studio, or is that talk dead in the water?

I haven't heard anything, so I would consider the issue/matter dead (for now). Maybe once they reach the 10 yr. mark, they will get a new set.

[ATTACH=full]3187[/ATTACH] Maybe WBBM is going full screen. Their weather graphics are out of the safe zone.

Don't bet on it. There are just some elements of this package that fall outside the safe zone.

In a stunning turn, the clouds parted and my antenna was able to pick up CBS 2 in amazing quality. As I said before, I don't like the edited theme cut in the opens (the rejoins sound okay), but the skyline imagery looks fantastic. Notice the old lower third that pops up in the morning video. (Also posted the O&O changes thread.)

Morning Update/Rejoin:

5pm Open & Rejoin:

6pm Open:

10pm Open:

In a stunning turn, the clouds parted and my antenna was able to pick up CBS 2 in amazing quality. As I said before, I don't like the edited theme cut in the opens (the rejoins sound okay), but the skyline imagery looks fantastic. Notice the old lower third that pops up in the morning video. (Also posted the O&O changes thread.)

Morning Update/Rejoin:

5pm Open & Rejoin:

6pm Open:

10pm Open:

There was a video of KCAL with new graphics and an older lower third in use, then it was covered with the newer lower third...

• 2 weeks later...

The graphics in my opinion have helped WBBMs sloppy apperance in a huge way but the cramped camera angles some lights being out the newsroom the lobby hell even the big screen tv outside the studio making Washinghton St in Downtown Chicago look like NYC the point is it look great in my opinion but the set needs to be changed. Hell i wouldnt even mind if they threw the desk where it use to be but if they try and do that (change the bulb in the other backdrop)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...