Random WBBM Thread

ns8401

I can't imagine that this was the first time somebody goofed her name. Between the 'I' and the 'k', and the vowels in her surname, nearly every part of her name is begging to be misspelled. Doesn't make it right, but still...

• Like 1

I know, but its also a reference used on Family Guy. I thought I say that but its obviously didn't work.

Not everybody watches Family Guy... If it's a newer episode say after 2010 then they are not very good and fewer people would get the joke...

Not everybody watches Family Guy... If it's a newer episode say after 2010 then they are not very good and fewer people would get the joke...

Is there anything you don't complain about? I mean seriously, he was trying to make a joke, you could have just ignored it but in typical fashion, you had the need to complain. I don't come here to read your complaints, I come here for smart discussions on specific topics.

• Like 2

Is there anything you don't complain about? I mean seriously, he was trying to make a joke, you could have just ignored it but in typical fashion, you had the need to complain. I don't come here to read your complaints, I come here for smart discussions on specific topics.

I didn't complain... I was pointing something out... Back off. You have no reason to come after me at all. Smart discussions on specific topics is bs...

• 2 weeks later...

CBS 2's most competitive newscast was just launched into the wood chipper.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2015/12/17/cbs-2-announces-harry-porterfield-retirement/#more-9771

It was announced this morning that 11am anchor Harry Porterfield, 87, retired last Friday, and will not be saying goodbye on the air. That is supposedly his choice. Meanwhile, veteran co-anchor Roseanne Tellez is being shifted to full-time reporting beginning December 28. At that time, morning anchors/professional pretty people Lionel Moise and Erin Kennedy will assume the midday duties.

There goes the only WBBM newscast I watched.

[MEDIA=twitter]677542277200412672[/MEDIA]

CBS 2's most competitive newscast was just launched into the wood chipper.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2015/12/17/cbs-2-announces-harry-porterfield-retirement/#more-9771

It was announced this morning that 11am anchor Harry Porterfield, 87, retired last Friday, and will not be saying goodbye on the air. That is supposedly his choice. Meanwhile, veteran co-anchor Roseanne Tellez is being shifted to full-time reporting beginning December 28. At that time, morning anchors/professional pretty people Lionel Moise and Erin Kennedy will assume the midday duties.

There goes the only WBBM newscast I watched.

[MEDIA=twitter]677542277200412672[/MEDIA]

But in all seriousness, well done to Harry Porterfield. What a legendary career he's had in Chicago and is considered one of the station's all time greats (along with Walter Jacobson and the legend that he is... Bill Kurtis)

• Like 1

But in all seriousness, well done to Harry Porterfield. What a legendary career he's had in Chicago and is considered one of the station's all time greats (along with Walter Jacobson and the legend that he is... Bill Kurtis)

Can anyone else think of an anchor anywhere else in their 80's?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I can't say I blame the bosses for this one. While Harry's career is historic, and deserving of respect, it sounds to me like management had been hinting at a forced retirement for awhile, giving him several opportunities to bow out. How many times do you drop a hint before you just have to pull the proverbial trigger? Harry has every right to be disappointed, but he should consider how lucky he was to last this long in both the business and in his quality of life. Dare I say, perhaps his age was becoming a liability, the station counted their blessings that he lasted 6 years, and dismissed him before they were -ahem- forced to make an anchor change. To be frank, Bill and Walter had it a lot worse when they got dumped, having to go through that cheesy send-off (one that Harry avoided by not showing up). Even if forced, I hope Harry enjoys the years he has left, and doesn't dwell on the few negatives of his career.

• Like 1

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I can't say I blame the bosses for this one. While Harry's career is historic, and deserving of respect, it sounds to me like management had been hinting at a forced retirement for awhile, giving him several opportunities to bow out. How many times do you drop a hint before you just have to pull the proverbial trigger? Harry has every right to be disappointed, but he should consider how lucky he was to last this long in both the business and in his quality of life. Dare I say, perhaps his age was becoming a liability, the station counted their blessings that he lasted 6 years, and dismissed him before they were -ahem- forced to make an anchor change. To be frank, Bill and Walter had it a lot worse when they got dumped, having to go through that cheesy send-off (one that Harry avoided by not showing up). Even if forced, I hope Harry enjoys the years he has left, and doesn't dwell on the few negatives of his career.

Well put.

So he gets fucked over for a second time @ Channel 2. That's a shame.

I feel if you're still able to do the job (even if you're well into your 90s), then just do it. Look at Dick Goddard at Channel 8 in Cleveland, he's 84 and still doing the weather. If those folks were so worried about liability and wanted him out so bad, then why would you want to hire an 81 year old in the first place (And that of course is a rarity)? I think it would've been better if he would've left on his own terms than being forced out, and CBS was wrong for that. But then again, this is the same Channel 2, that have made stupid decisions in the past.

I'm hoping he'll get through this, and hopefully (despite his age) he'll find some kind of work in some capacity (maybe not on TV but somewhere), because I don't think Harry is one of those folks who want to live out the rest of their days sitting in a "rocking chair".

And I don't care how many inexperienced pretty faces they put on there to try to raise that ratings needle. Channel 2 will still be a status quo.

• Like 1

He would've been better not speaking out. All this new information makes him sound bitter. For goodness sake, he is well into his 80s, not late 60s or 70s! He should be grateful that WBBM allowed him to stick around that long. Since when is a station obligated to keep someone on until that person is ready to go? They are the ones that pay him. Do we even know if there were any difficulties with him (reading the teleprompter, etc.)? As mentioned, it appeared that WBBM had hinted around for the past few years that that time was coming.

I agree. The lot of us have been (or will be) wronged by someone at some point in our lives for whatever reason. It's often better to rise above it and move on than come off super bitter about the situation. It's unfortunate both sides couldn't have worked out a transition (retirement) plan, but that's life I guess.

I would like to also ask what's the problem with rob johnson? cause when i saw people issuing thoughts tho Kate sullivan after she was fired some were most were saying rob's the problem etc.

Some people just don't like him or his demeanor I guess... I don't really have a strong opinion on him, but they've gone through like four female co-anchors in the less than a decade for which he has been a 10pm anchor, which leads some to wonder if he might be a part of the ratings problem. It's just interesting that he hasn't been a victim of the revolving door at that station.

• Like 1