Random WBBM Thread

ns8401

But is there any reason why they do not use the full studio?

Because at this point it's been damaged beyond the point of having an easy fix.

The fake monitor wall backdrop has been gone since the ill-conceived "Monsters and Money in the Morning" debut. The OTS monitor that was on the right side was ripped out around the same time they first started experimenting with the desk in it's current spot. This is an old picture, but it probably still looks like that. Notice the lack of lights hanging anywhere above the old anchor area.

CBS put a lot of money (Jack Morton PDG ain't cheap) into a set that local management utterly destroyed while simultaneously deciding they just didn't like the studio at all. So not only is it unlikely that they'll want to improve the set, corporate probably worries that whatever money they get to fix/build a new set will be squandered when someone else comes in and decides they don't like the set.

Because at this point it's been damaged beyond the point of having an easy fix.

The fake monitor wall backdrop has been gone since the ill-conceived "Monsters and Money in the Morning" debut. The OTS monitor that was on the right side was ripped out around the same time they first started experimenting with the desk in it's current spot. This is an old picture, but it probably still looks like that. Notice the lack of lights hanging anywhere above the old anchor area.

CBS put a lot of money (Jack Morton PDG ain't cheap) into a set that local management utterly destroyed while simultaneously deciding they just didn't like the studio at all. So not only is it unlikely that they'll want to improve the set, corporate probably worries that whatever money they get to fix/build a new set will be squandered when someone else comes in and decides they don't like the set.

I'm just having a hard time visualizing other areas / layout of the set and the studio. From one of the photos it looked like they had a plasma mounted cart in front of the windows. Is there anything there stopping them from doing that now or are the windows damaged?

You know while WJZ is the step child of CBS it amazes me at how well they kept their set up over the last 16 years. I do realize they made some changes for HD like new news desks but it still looks good on TV (aside from the corner they do the morning show grok with all the tchotchkes which I don't care for.).

Lg4TN21.jpg

This is a (very poorly drawn, not to scale) diagram of the studio as it is used today and what I saw last time I saw it (a little over a year ago). The plasma cart used to live in the area that's marked "storage chairs and tables and junk". I think they still use the windows along Dearborn as a presentation area, so it's possible the cart is still in there for those. I think there was an additional static camera somewhere in there, too.

The riser really cuts the studio in half as robotic cameras can't maneuver around it without an operator controlling them manually.

This is a (very poorly drawn, not to scale) diagram of the studio as it is used today and what I saw last time I saw it (a little over a year ago). The plasma cart used to live in the area that's marked "storage chairs and tables and junk". I think they still use the windows along Dearborn as a presentation area, so it's possible the cart is still in there for those. I think there was an additional static camera somewhere in there, too.

The riser really cuts the studio in half as robotic cameras can't maneuver around it without an operator controlling them manually.

Thanks now I got a good idea of how it looks.

• 2 months later...

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/7205-news-notes-evelyn-holmes-pamela-jones-csn-chicago-bruce-dumont-jim-lynam-wfxf-tom-morgan-wind-wyll

Chicago Radio And Media is reporting that Reporter / Fill-In Anchor Pamela Jones's contract at WBBM was not renewed. She joined WBBM in 2005 after spending 6 months at CLTV. It's the second story down in the linked article.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well that's an innovation; I've never seen a live toss to the anchor of the network news for a preview of upcoming stories, but I just saw a toss to Scott Pelley on the 5:00 (wound up watching channel 2 this time). Then again I don't usually find myself in the Central/Eastern time zones.

WMAQ Tuesday did a live toss to Lester Holt for a preview of Nightly News.

As of late (a couple of weeks), it has been a live toss. It may be something they're trying to help keep the numbers here in Chicago (Lester's former hometown) and in other key markets stable following the Williams thingy.

• 3 weeks later...

Good for him! I wish I could move to LA lol. On a side note, does anyone know when the contract with the streetside studio ends? I feel like WBBM is wayyyyyyyy overdue for a total overhaul of everything (more reporters, news structure/presentation, and an update of that miserable set). The set makes me so irritated. That set was perfect and they just let it be destroyed. Okay, sorry, end of rant.

Good for him! yes. ish I could move to LA lol. On a side note, does anyone know when the contract with the streetside studio ends? I feel like WBBM is wayyyyyyyy overdue for a total overhaul of everything (more reporters, news structure/presentation, and an update of that miserable set). The set makes me so irritated. That set was perfect and they just let it be destroyed. Okay, sorry, end of rant.

Conventional wisdom would suggest 2018 would be the end date (10 yrs. after the studio debuted). I still believe that if they wanted out, they probably could get out of it. The city has bigger issues to deal with plus with the entire Gallery 37 complex on a upswing, I doubt there would be anything/anyone standing in their way.

• 1 month later...