Random WBBM Thread

ns8401

If they don't come up with anything, I can bet you that they'll just dump a second run of Judge Judy, like they've done many times before. I also wouldn't rule out a return of 'Rachael Ray', as ABC 7 needs to free up an hour for 'The Fab' (God help us), and has already stated that 'Windy City Live' and the IE/J! combo are safe.

WBBM has added top-to-bottom glass panels on the outside of the studio on either side of the jumbotron that also wrap around to the Randolph side. Which mean...no more exposed steel beams!!! I dont know if these panels will light up (I assume they will), but this improvement is beyond overdue.

I'll try to upload pics, but it's probably better to wait until the work is complete.

If they don't come up with anything, I can bet you that they'll just dump a second run of Judge Judy, like they've done many times before. I also wouldn't rule out a return of 'Rachael Ray', as ABC 7 needs to free up an hour for 'The Fab' (God help us), and has already stated that 'Windy City Live' and the IE/J! combo are safe.

I've read that CBS O&Os may pick up Hot Bench as a replacement. Could also see WBBM airing The Insider with a second showing of ET, Millionaire, or even Inside Edition (yes I know WLS has a had it forever).

As for WLS, I wonder if they would end up cutting more news to make room for The F.A.B.? Like moving Jeopardy to 4:30, and dumping Inside Edition, or moving it to either 11:30am or 12midnight.

@Jase... Do you know if they're making inside improvements to the set once they are finished with the exterior? I thought I saw the corner by the weather center all blocked off? They really let their set go. Its a bunch of pieces put together and totally not functional. I also noticed many of the lights are burnt out now. More than ever before.

@Jase... Do you know if they're making inside improvements to the set once they are finished with the exterior? I thought I saw the corner by the weather center all blocked off? They really let their set go. Its a bunch of pieces put together and totally not functional. I also noticed many of the lights are burnt out now. More than ever before.

I haven't heard anything about improvements to the set. It's possible they could do something. I'm still surprised they decided to do exterior work after all these years. As I have said before, they don't have to overhaul the entire set, but do something simple to take advantage of both the space and view.

Wish they would use the set like originally intended or just overhaul it completely and build a new one. I absolutely hate the way they only use a cramped, small corner of their expansive studio with tight camera angles. So lame that they have their guests sit on uncomfortable stools at that "news desk" during long election coverage.

I thought I saw the corner by the weather center all blocked off?

That corner by the weather center is blocked off because they use it for storage. They just push the demonstration/display table, stools, a couple other things into the corner by the windows so they just keep the shades shut. Last I heard any talk about the set/studio, plans were to eventually ditch that set and studio for the interior studio B as soon as their deal with the city is up. For now, they're just going to let the set go to hell. No standard set maintenance (changing burnt out bulbs, repairing/coating the floor, touch up, etc.) has been done. The set is banged up pretty well and you really wouldn't want to have closeup camera shots of many parts of it. Most of the pieces that were removed from the original set-up of that set have been now trashed so there is no chance of it being "restored" to original..

As for the exterior being "finished" now, I believe it may have to do with some city building exterior/signage ordinances.. The city has been focusing more on building exteriors and signage in the recent months.. The whole large areas above the studios was permitted for and on the blueprints/plans as being covered in signage. The electrical boxes up there are actually already wired for full signage/lighting up there as if was fully filled to plans. The one small jumbo-tron was a last minute call by the station GM and was not part of submitted blueprints/plans. Even though the exposed areas are ok to be exposed outdoors, it's wasn't finished to plan and with the city's focus now, I'm sure the station didn't want to be called out on it.

For those wondering what happened to NBC 5's old streetside studio set, here's where the desk went.. http://www.ben.edu/news/2013/nbc-news-desk-donation.cfm

Aren't these issues something they probably should've considered prior to moving into the space? Anyone know when their city lease is up for the space?

I'm not sure what lease they have with the city. They don't own the building (they just lease space within it), so in theory, that shouldn't stop them from doing basic maintenance or upgrades. Given CIM is building the apartment tower on top of the mall, they are likely working with Prudential (owner of the CBS/Morningstar building) to make the entire complex more appealing. Doing so would benefit everyone. Who knows???

I'm not sure what lease they have with the city. They don't own the building (they just lease space within it), so in theory, that shouldn't stop them from doing basic maintenance or upgrades. Given CIM is building the apartment tower on top of the mall, they are likely working with Prudential (owner of the CBS/Morningstar building) to make the entire complex more appealing. Doing so would benefit everyone. Who knows???

It's not a lease with the city.. There was a contractual agreement with the city as part of WBBM being able to use that portion of the building as a windowed studio. During the original planning of that building, the city didn't want that portion exposed to Daley Plaza to be just a blank space or just office windows. The city wanted something "open to the public" at that spot. The windowed studio (Studio A) has to be used as an active daily TV production space for a set amount of time (I don't know how long.. It could be 10 years for all I know) as long as WBBM is leasing that part of the building. A few years back, WBBM already had the idea of moving into Studio B and went ahead with trying to sublease Studio A. However, they haven't been successful as the only production company interested in the space at the time only wanted to use it on the weekends. Once the agreement with the city is up, WBBM can go ahead and vacate that studio and sublease it to any type of "open to the public" business. It can be a store, a restaurant, another production company with an active daily production, radio studio, etc.

I wonder if they also have specific requirements as to when they use the studio. If they dislike that studio so much, you'd think they'd have already pulled a NBC5 and do all the evening shows from Studio B or a newsroom set.

I'm pretty sure the reason the set hasn't been restored to how it was is because someone would have to admit they made a mistake and wasted money wrecking the thing to begin with (i.e. the failure that was the financial morning show). A lot of people in the industry seem to think their set was constructed to be used the way they currently use it, I wouldn't be shocked if that's what they're telling the CBS executives too.

I wonder if they also have specific requirements as to when they use the studio. If they dislike that studio so much, you'd think they'd have already pulled a NBC5 and do all the evening shows from Studio B or a newsroom set.

I'm pretty sure the reason the set hasn't been restored to how it was is because someone would have to admit they made a mistake and wasted money wrecking the thing to begin with (i.e. the failure that was the financial morning show). A lot of people in the industry seem to think their set was constructed to be used the way they currently use it, I wouldn't be shocked if that's what they're telling the CBS executives too.

Two things: How was the set before hand? How do the currently use the set as opposed to the way they could?

WBBM is going to have a vacancy in their daytime lineup at 2pm starting next summer. Queen Latifah is not being renewed. Not really sure what they'll put there or anything yet.

For now it looks like "Hot Bench" created by Judge Judy is going to be the new 2pm show next fall on WBBM. That could always change in the next 10 months.

For now it looks like "Hot Bench" created by Judge Judy is going to be the new 2pm show next fall on WBBM. That could always change in the next 10 months.

Already made that observation.

I've read that CBS O&Os may pick up Hot Bench as a replacement. Could also see WBBM airing The Insider with a second showing of ET, Millionaire, or even Inside Edition (yes I know WLS has a had it forever).

As for WLS, I wonder if they would end up cutting more news to make room for The F.A.B.? Like moving Jeopardy to 4:30, and dumping Inside Edition, or moving it to either 11:30am or 12midnight.