87.7 FM in Chicago to Shut Down, Personalities Find out on Twitter

bammy9

And MY video of the incident is going viral because of it.

Honestly, I think there were many poor decisions that factored into the unfortunate circumstances. I'm not defending anyone here, but I'm guessing Feder did not get the scoop from the top, got wind of it anyway, and ran with (as would be expected). I would sooner guess that the bosses were going to tell the employees around 3pm, as Quigs and Finfer went off and the next shift started. That way, everyone would've found out within several minutes. In the long run, I think Feder could have had a little more restraint before going public. He had the scoop, no one else did. However, that's only a small piece in this. If upper management knew that this was going to get out, they could have at least notified that shift crew, and alerted the rest of the staff accordingly.

As bad as this all sound, the bosses at WGN have made some questionable decisions, but have always been seen as "good guys". Because of that, I can't help but think there was a bit of a misunderstanding and confusion...mismanagement versus malicious. Of course, everyone has their opinion, and maybe the bosses' true colors are showing. I'm guessing this is going to become a lot clearer over the next several days and weeks.

This is coming from a loyal listener of the station, and this program, in particular.

Honestly, I think there were many poor decisions that factored into the unfortunate circumstances. I'm not defending anyone here, but I'm guessing Feder did not get the scoop from the top, got wind of it anyway, and ran with (as would be expected). I would sooner guess that the bosses were going to tell the employees around 3pm, as Quigs and Finfer went off and the next shift started. That way, everyone would've found out within several minutes. In the long run, I think Feder could have had a little more restraint before going public. He had the scoop, no one else did. However, that's only a small piece in this. If upper management knew that this was going to get out, they could have at least notified that shift crew, and alerted the rest of the staff accordingly.

As bad as this all sound, the bosses at WGN have made some questionable decisions, but have always been seen as "good guys". Because of that, I can't help but think there was a bit of a misunderstanding and confusion...mismanagement versus malicious. Of course, everyone has their opinion, and maybe the bosses' true colors are showing. I'm guessing this is going to become a lot clearer over the next several days and weeks.

This is coming from a loyal listener of the station, and this program, in particular.

I don't know both the situation with Tribune and the sports talk in general. Where I am, WBZ-FM (The Sports Hub) has done well to the point where the rival WEEI-AM had to go to FM to counter the Sports Hub, the last time I read, WBZ was in the top 10 slots in the ADI.

It's easy for me to assume the fault lies with Tribune, they have had a bad record as mentioned before with their respective TV stations, the print just cratering to the ground and the radio was no exception. I'm sorry to see the comments on your video with such shallow commentary or insight. While the timing might have been off for Feder's column, I still think any type of rumor of that nature is not good class regardless.

OTTH radio is dying for multiple reasons and no its not Pandora, its not iTunes or whatever.

I've read blogs and comments and other resources where various stations went illrelevent due to consultants and people managing radio without knowing the medium, the working knowledge of the craft or managed radio with an ideal view that isn't marketable. Also in order to be a good radio manager you cannot have the NPR background studying 8 year gender studies and suddenly go into radio and think you have all the credentials to become a manager. Sadly that stereotype is where many radio stations lost its relevance due to those types of managers.

Radio is a medium of passion and excitement, because this medium doesn't have moving pictures to provide that excitement. NPR or just the managerial types typically don't grow up listening to radio or "I WANT TO BE THAT GUY" and then work their way into business. Passion being a job requirement left many years ago.

Also in the case of the Radio Disney when earlier this year they publicized they laid off 200 (read 1,000 combined FT and PT staffers) and they didn't have the stones to announce the true number of cuts. I think what also is killing the radio business is just the management where the lack respect to the rank and file workers (engineers, producers) which in this type of business also includes talent.

Consumeration and individualism also destroyed radio. There is a growing "me, me, me" culture, and its not OK to have a monolithic culture or you're deemed be labeled as a boring person. People don't want to listen to DJs that talk all the time so they go to a bland platform called Pandora (note: I don't blame them, I don't like DJs talking about Kim K or the celeb of the day, I miss banter that wouldn't revolve around Hollywood.) Pandora then builds your own playlist so you can live in your own little world nearly 24*7*365. Everyone lives in their own little bubble now.

Radio was a social medium where people in all different walks of life to congregate and connect to each other. Now we have Facebook where no one wants to be bothered - both out in the real world, and even interacting within. I say we have a broken culture until we fix that, radio won't make a comeback.

I think the other, larger issue: franken-FMs (analog channel 6s operating as FM stations) have a built in drop dead date. This was not a business with a long-term lease on frequency.

Tribune isn't in a position to buy any FM station. They couldn't prior to the spin-off of their newspaper division, and the Merlin stations were unloaded to Cumulus. Channel 6 (87.7) was the best they could get.

It's obvious that Jimmy DeCastro has gotten off a bit easy on this. If it were the team of Randy Michaels and Kevin Metheny (RIP) that spearheaded The Game, the venom from Feder's pen would be never-ending. (This coming from someone who enjoys reading Feder's columns.)

That being said, FCC proposal or no FCC proposal, the future of Channel 6 as a pseudo radio station is not there.

Archived