New WKBN Graphics/Set on the way?

tyrannical bastard

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't WCBS try a virtual set way back when. I can't find any images of it yet. but the Europeans love virtual sets for some reason...

http://news.imm-cologne.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/2heute-journal-Tisch.jpg

What kind of desk...

I remember there being an article somewhere not too long ago stating how they believed that virtual sets would fast become the norm in the United States replacing physical sets...well that hasn't happened. Very, very few stations use a virtual set as a primary one, much less anything at all, and only the networks use them in high quality. Even then, they only use them for special events like elections. I don't know why there's such a difference in preference between the US and Europe when it comes to virtual and not, however.

What kind of desk...

I remember there being an article somewhere not too long ago stating how they believed that virtual sets would fast become the norm in the United States replacing physical sets...well that hasn't happened. Very, very few stations use a virtual set as a primary one, much less anything at all, and only the networks use them in high quality. Even then, they only use them for special events like elections. I don't know why there's such a difference in preference between the US and Europe when it comes to virtual and not, however.

That "article" was just FX Group trying to sell their virtual set models, if I'm thinking of the same article you are.

This has come up numerous times, but the reason most of the European sets work is because they don't try to look real.This is how that ZDF desk looks on-air:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ipNqZa4E84

There are no fake wood walls or fake monitor arrays. There are no 3D logos. There is zero attempt to make it look like it is sitting in a real studio. There is a degree of trying to make them look "real", but usually in impossible ways.

That works. WKBN's thing looks cheap and tacky. It's not being used as a presentation tool like the European sets, it's being used to make a boring, normal set that someone was able to convince the station management was better in a computer than in reality.

Well, I was watching the 10pm edition of 27 First News and right before commercial break he says "You're watching 27 First News. Investigative, in-depth, and in the Valley." I'll take "Coverage You Can Count On" or keeping "Where Your News Comes First" over this crap.

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of being hauled off to the dumpster, a local Youngstown area high school now has pieces of WKBN's soon-to-be old set.....

http://wkbn.com/2014/12/11/wkbn-donates-studio-set-to-austintown-fitch/

And as with other hints being floated around, according to the article ..."the station will unveil a revolutionary new studio and a new look for the future of WKBN".

The former Canwest stations - Global and the CH/E! netlet stations - utilized virtual sets not long ago.

I don't know if any of them still do. CHCH might, but that's a wild guess on my part.

There's a studio tour of CHCH on YouTube and they show the desk being in front of a blue screen so it is a virtual set.

• 2 weeks later...

I was FINALLY able to catch a glimpse of WYTV during a recent holiday trip up to Ohio.

I think they've done a better job updating their graphics than WKBN did when they re-did the supers for 16x9. And compared to what WKBN is currently using as their temp set and what they're about to use, WYTV's looks better.

As for a timetable (if there is one) for WYTV to get updated, it looks like it will be status quo for the foreseeable future.

• 3 weeks later...

The former Canwest stations - Global and the CH/E! netlet stations - utilized virtual sets not long ago.

I don't know if any of them still do. CHCH might, but that's a wild guess on my part.

The Global virtual sets—especially the ones in the large markets (CHAN, CICT, CITV and CIII)—are some of the best examples of virtual set design, IMO. They were a little cheesy back when the design matched the old greenish graphics look, but the set design that debuted along with the current blue look is pretty fantastic. If more stations went to Telemetrics/Orad and said, "Give us what Global has," I'd be OK with more virtual sets.

What about this virtual set?

http://www.wtvq.com/dayguests

Of all the Morris stations, that's the best looking graphics out of all of them. The set (for their lifestyle show) looks nice too, but you can still tell that it's virtual. Still worlds better than their "sets" for stations like WWAY and WXXV.

I feel like 27 has the potential to do some great things with this set, they just have to use it properly. If they use that green screen back drop as if it was monitors behind them it could look nice. They can't use those shitty graphics from the previous picture in the forum.

Archived