Chicago Archbishop Installation Coverage

24994J

The Catholic community has a new leader in Spokane, WA Bishop Blase Cupich (pronounced soo-pitch). All 5 Chicago news stations are providing live coverage this afternoon, each handling the proceedings differently. All stations have their lead anchor teams at the desk, and plan on concluding coverage at 4PM. I would that, when planning, none of the stations anticipated an afternoon temperature of 18 degrees.

• ABC 7 was the first on the air at 1PM (for the 2PM mass). As is customary, they have almost a million anchors on duty (I exaggerate a little), with Ron Magers and Kathy Brock in the State Street Studio and (religion reporter/afternoon anchor) Krashesky and Yu out in front of the cathedral. Four other reporters are stationed around the metro area with reaction. By starting an hour before the other stations, the mass has been virtually without commentary. They are using their regular graphics with a gold bar on the L3 as the only notable addition.
  • NBC 5 was the only station to not announce their broadcast plans ahead of time, with no changes being made on the schedule for cable customers. Stafford, Rosati, and Marin are at the Tower, and Mary Ann Ahern is on-site. They're using Look F in all gold/yellow with black text. It would look okay, but their bug is outside the safe zone, as if they are prepping for Look F 2.0 at some point.
  • WGN is employing Suppelsa, Materre, and (religion reporter/midday anchor) Dina Bair at Bradley Place. The graphics, like NBC 5 and CBS 2, are gold with serif-font accents. They are also using the #Archbishop, which is on-screen at all times.
  • I haven't seen enough of CBS 2 and FOX 32, but they have lead anchors Rob Johnson & (a very pregnant) Kate Sullivan, and Jeff Herndon and Dawn Hasbrouck, respectively. Jay Levine is also on WBBM, but I don't know from where. CBS 2 added some doodads to their normal L3s, and FOX did nothing...of course. Unlike ABC 7, CBS 2's anchors and analysts won't shut up.

As 2, 5, 9, and 32 all went to air at 2PM, they all had some analysis and commentary over the open procession.

400824_630x354.jpg

I'm watching NBC 5 exclusively and they remained mostly silent during the procession and have not spoken since the start of the mass. NBC 5 is for sure getting ready for look f 2.0 because the recent graphics for promos and cold opens have been 2.0 graphics and now they are using a bug that would fit with the angular elements of 2.0. I would hope they would make a switch at some point in the near future.

I'm watching NBC 5 exclusively and they remained mostly silent during the procession and have not spoken since the start of the mass. NBC 5 is for sure getting ready for look f 2.0 because the recent graphics for promos and cold opens have been 2.0 graphics and now they are using a bug that would fit with the angular elements of 2.0. I would hope they would make a switch at some point in the near future.

Check out Sports Sunday at some point. That program uses a similar bug, and also got new graphics awhile back, but the main graphics are the old SNF package.

If interested, here's the first 22 minutes of ABC 7's coverage.

[yt]BJLZ2Y0lYFM[/yt]

It's funny, though. At nearly 5 o'clock, the special broadcast having been over for a half hour, WLS was still using the religious choir music in and out of breaks.

It's sophisticated as hell...pun intended.

[yt]9CdVTCDdEwI[/yt]

Agreed. Intro of the program was spectacular. Although, Alan and Linda did not have to sit out there in the freezing cold. But it's their job.

Linda was back in the studio with Ron after services were over and Alan was still there. Since this is his beat, it makes sense he would stick around with Linda heading back (likely sometime after 2-2:30P) to home base.

• 3 months later...

I haven't seen enough of CBS 2 and FOX 32, but they have lead anchors Rob Johnson & (a very pregnant) Kate Sullivan, and Jeff Herndon and Dawn Hasbrouck, respectively. Jay Levine is also on WBBM, but I don't know from where. CBS 2 added some doodads to their normal L3s, and FOX did nothing...of course. Unlike ABC 7, CBS 2's anchors and analysts won't shut up.

I haven't seen enough of CBS 2 and FOX 32, but they have lead anchors Rob Johnson & (a very pregnant) Kate Sullivan, and Jeff Herndon and Dawn Hasbrouck, respectively. Jay Levine is also on WBBM, but I don't know from where. CBS 2 added some doodads to their normal L3s, and FOX did nothing...of course. Unlike ABC 7, CBS 2's anchors and analysts won't shut up.

your just posting this now? and Kate Had her baby

Archived