The Wall Street Journal Radio Network (and MarketWatch) radio reports ending by the calendar year, r

cbs2newengland

Dow Jones is cutting not so profitable properties in a move to more digital platforms.

Reports say that The Wall Street Journal and the sister MarketWatch.com radio networks will cease to function by the end of the calendar year. They got tons of affiliates, and the flagship stations probably will not be impacted as badly as smaller markets who can't afford in house radio talent to report on the markets and business news.

I bet WCBS doesn't have to worry, they could probably get Joe Connelly be the in house reporter, but I don't know about the other markets. I bet Bloomberg Radio won't take the former WSJ/MKTW reporters, they basically faded away from business radio in just the last few years.

I think DJ should've just sold the network to a Citadel instead of shuttering it. Bad move in their part.

Maybe CBS can have Connelly do CBS MoneyWatch branded reports and syndicate that. Smaller market stations will be able to replace the WSJ/MarketWatch reports, Connelly keeps working and CBS further strengthens their dominance of news radio. Everyone wins.

Yeah, MoneyWatch (though haven't been on in a while) seemed to be a comeback for CBS since MarketWatch was sold off to DJ and CBS lost all naming and exclusive rights. They can easily use it for all their radio stations and even use the CBS name on the Group W formats like WINS since they are partnered with WCBS-TV (still makes no sense to me.) By your speculation CBS Radio could make a killing by expanding or stealing talent.

But there would still be a void for stations in other mid or non flagship markets. I don't think CBS could extend to stations especially the iHeartRadio stations or some of the ABC radio stations. That's why a sale or a spinoff would've been a logical move.

I hope the people the best, and hope they get hired by a flagship station or startup something or what. They are great at covering the markets on the radio, and its becoming a programming model since WBZ and WCBS do Opening Bell programs. (I think the programming would be better if they laid off the sports reports.)

I don't know much about the WSJ Radio Network? Can some one give me more information? Will this affect the Wall Street Journal This Morning and the reports that Bruce Vale does? I can tell you WLAC fills their morning drive with WSJ This Morning so maybe this will force them to add something local to AM drive but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't know much about the WSJ Radio Network? Can some one give me more information? Will this affect the Wall Street Journal This Morning and the reports that Bruce Vale does? I can tell you WLAC fills their morning drive with WSJ This Morning so maybe this will force them to add something local to AM drive but I'm not holding my breath.

That's what it sounds like. It's kind of disappointing, around here Bruce Vale does reports during 620WTMJ's afternoon news, and actually gets fairly involved with the show, usually mentioning something about the segment preceding him. It's like he's a part of the show and not just some guy sitting in a room halfway across the country reading stock numbers.

That's what it sounds like. It's kind of disappointing, around here Bruce Vale does reports during 620WTMJ's afternoon news, and actually gets fairly involved with the show, usually mentioning something about the segment preceding him. It's like he's a part of the show and not just some guy sitting in a room halfway across the country reading stock numbers.

That's the example both WSJ and MarketWatch provides - custom reports for the local radio station and the local market with relevant local business headlines. I think MarketWatch does fewer national updates than the WSJ and they have scores of custom affiliates. This is a great feature. I bet Bruce dials into the station and is put on standby so he could interact with the local talent the way you describe.

This is why I think axing the radio altogether was a bad idea. Podcasts would be too global or too national for a listener. You loose the natural connection to the radio reporters to their listeners.

That's the example both WSJ and MarketWatch provides - custom reports for the local radio station and the local market with relevant local business headlines. I think MarketWatch does fewer national updates than the WSJ and they have scores of custom affiliates. This is a great feature. I bet Bruce dials into the station and is put on standby so he could interact with the local talent the way you describe.

This is why I think axing the radio altogether was a bad idea. Podcasts would be too global or too national for a listener. You loose the natural connection to the radio reporters to their listeners.

I take it that's a yes then. You're right, it is disappointing. WOAI uses him extensively on "San Antonio's First News with Charlie Parker", not unlike how WTMJ does. He actually doesn't give a lot of stock figures on 1200, it was more like business headlines, both national and local ones. In the afternoons they just run Fox Business reports so maybe that's what they'll have to do in the mornings too? What are the other business radio services out there? (sorry I'm not familiar with business radio, it's not really my forte)

I take it that's a yes then. You're right, it is disappointing. WOAI uses him extensively on "San Antonio's First News with Charlie Parker", not unlike how WTMJ does. He actually doesn't give a lot of stock figures on 1200, it was more like business headlines, both national and local ones. In the afternoons they just run Fox Business reports so maybe that's what they'll have to do in the mornings too? What are the other business radio services out there? (sorry I'm not familiar with business radio, it's not really my forte)

To answer your question, this includes The Wall Street Journal This Morning.

There really are not that many out there. Prior to DJ acquiring CBS MarketWatch, those were two separate networks, ABC used to partner with BusinessWeek to provide business news, that folded, one of the guys actually went to WCBS 880 after that; and then there's Bloomberg, but I don't know if they syndicate market updates like they used to. Their roster on their site shows radio talent on WBBR (and the other simulcasts.)

I don't know if Fox Business gives its own reports, but I think the setup is like CNBC/NBC radio, they take sound bites and add it to the radio report.

To repeat, this is a kinda of a big deal.

To answer your question, this includes The Wall Street Journal This Morning.

There really are not that many out there. Prior to DJ acquiring CBS MarketWatch, those were two separate networks, ABC used to partner with BusinessWeek to provide business news, that folded, one of the guys actually went to WCBS 880 after that; and then there's Bloomberg, but I don't know if they syndicate market updates like they used to. Their roster on their site shows radio talent on WBBR (and the other simulcasts.)

I don't know if Fox Business gives its own reports, but I think the setup is like CNBC/NBC radio, they take sound bites and add it to the radio report.

To repeat, this is a kinda of a big deal.

I think somebody will step in. I remember when Bloomberg discontinued the daily affiliate reports with Jane King from the NYSE. King immediately started up her own company with another partner and signed all the former affiliates and those continue today, just devoid of any Bloomberg branding.

Compass Media - who had been handling ad sales and distribution for Dow Jones's radio ops, has expressed interest in taking "The WSJ This Morning" in-house, among other portions of the DJ operation.

Hopefully they can get it going with such short notice.

• 1 month later...

Compass Media - who had been handling ad sales and distribution for Dow Jones's radio ops, has expressed interest in taking "The WSJ This Morning" in-house, among other portions of the DJ operation.

Hopefully they can get it going with such short notice.

Apparently this is confirmed, albeit buried in the media headlines....

Archived