Computerized Newsgathering Systems for Radio

cbs2newengland

I've looked at stills and footages of radio news from a generation ago, and it looked like the early computer systems for rundowns and playouts were exactly the same of the TV counterparts. Don't quote me specifically, but it looked like Group W used some Digital Equipment terminals and CBS used some Data General terminals, I don't know what the app was though. But I've seen these same types used on both their radio and TV stations.

Today, those systems are long gone as many TV stations ether use iNews or ENPS, and correct me if I am wrong those systems cannot work in a radio environment? If so what systems are used instead?

I've looked at stills and footages of radio news from a generation ago, and it looked like the early computer systems for rundowns and playouts were exactly the same of the TV counterparts. Don't quote me specifically, but it looked like Group W used some Digital Equipment terminals and CBS used some Data General terminals, I don't know what the app was though. But I've seen these same types used on both their radio and TV stations.

Today, those systems are long gone as many TV stations ether use iNews or ENPS, and correct me if I am wrong those systems cannot work in a radio environment? If so what systems are used instead?

I'm pretty sure ENPS is used for radio - the same way they use it for TV by building rundowns and scripts. I think ENPS may be used in radio more likely if they have a close partner TV station, that way they are everyone is on the same system and they can easily share packages. The BBC is probably the biggest ENPS user with thousands of journalists across the globe submitting reports for dozens of radio stations and TV channels.

What you may see them use is in studio most likely is used for play out - for example in TV (because I do not know the type of software that's used in radio) you can build a show with graphics and video in ENPS and then the rundown will be loaded into Ignite where the user essentially presses play for it to go to air.

Here's one example: http://www.rcsworks.com/en/products/rcsnews/default.aspx (RCS also develops automation software that most radio stations run off of; RCS is owned by iHeartMedia).

Here's another: http://www.burli.com/products/legacy-burli

Here's a third: http://www.newsboss.com/Welcome.cfm

(I already knew about RCS News, the other two I found by googling "radio newsroom system")

Apparently OCTOPUS which is primarily TV software also works for radio. (I really wish more US newsrooms used Octopus, it looks a lot better and more functional than iNews or ENPS)

Here's one example: http://www.rcsworks.com/en/products/rcsnews/default.aspx (RCS also develops automation software that most radio stations run off of; RCS is owned by iHeartMedia).

Here's another: http://www.burli.com/products/legacy-burli

Here's a third: http://www.newsboss.com/Welcome.cfm

(I already knew about RCS News, the other two I found by googling "radio newsroom system")

Apparently OCTOPUS which is primarily TV software also works for radio. (I really wish more US newsrooms used Octopus, it looks a lot better and more functional than iNews or ENPS)

thanks for the links, is it safe to say that iNews is a dying breed? I knew about this one for years. At this point the many mentions of ENPS here on the other topics, I think it would be easy to ask and get a quick answer, who's using iNews?

thanks for the links, is it safe to say that iNews is a dying breed? I knew about this one for years. At this point the many mentions of ENPS here on the other topics, I think it would be easy to ask and get a quick answer, who's using iNews?

I know the Sinclair group is standardized on iNews, so are the Fox O&Os, the Cox group, the CBS O&Os, Nexstar and there's more I'm missing for sure.

There is no reason iNews can't be used to do radio. Or talk shows. Or pretty much anything for that matter. It's just a collaborative script writing software that has the ability to fetch news feeds and support plugins. Most of these plugins are for TV stuff. I bet you can integrate radio/audio playback software with iNews just like you can for video.

In fact, Avid mentions "Netia Radio Assist" as one of iNews' "Integration Partners".

I know the Sinclair group is standardized on iNews, so are the Fox O&Os, the Cox group, the CBS O&Os, Nexstar and there's more I'm missing for sure.

Add the NBC O&O group to that list. Avid iNews is definitely not a "dying" application; in fact, it looks like they've moved it to a mostly browser-based web app. Any iNews users out there who can verify that?

Add the NBC O&O group to that list. Avid iNews is definitely not a "dying" application; in fact, it looks like they've moved it to a mostly browser-based web app. Any iNews users out there who can verify that?

Seems like ENPS gets a lot of chatter here on the boards, which made me think if iNews was going out of relevance.

• 1 month later...

[yt]]http://youtube.com/0KHsFh1EJPk?t=7m15s[/yt]

this isn't about radio per se, but since its on the lines of terminals and newsgathering systems,

. I was shocked to see the many Digital terminals (and likely VAX computers) surrounding their newsroom at that time. Only two PCs I saw throughout program that seemed to run Windows NT. It's not to say that these systems were still in use after the PCs were plopped on the desktops with terminal emulation, but wow I thought it being a CBS O&O in a top market they would using top of the line architecture. I believe this was the same system the NBC O&Os used (and probably installed when it was still owned by NBC.)

The question is, does anyone know what application this was?

Archived