#BetterWinterStormNames 2014-15

Jess

For the third year running, The Weather Channel has come up with names for winter storms. As before, they are horribly stupid. So I have, once again, made my own list. This year, it's a video!

[yt]qRBM_gb0lTU[/yt]

"We Don't Know" - what a f****g joke! :bang:

How can I take you, TWC so seriously when you can't be so serious with naming storms?

Until NOAA names storms, then I won't take any named winter storms seriously.

Matt, I do like your names, I think you took more time coming up with these names than TWC for theirs.

It's clear that We Don't Know is the ultimate reason for why TWC just doesn't even try anymore. Would've been better fit and hilarious if something like The Daily Show does it. Some of the names are good like Cato, Remus, Astro, Pandora and Sparta, Hector, Iola, Thor and Eris.

Anyway, Matt, you have once again come up with a better and entertaining list. I hope to see Earthquake, Bishoff and Ultimate Warrior for the stronger storms and Cena for a weaker one.

I still don't approve of TWC's fascination with naming winter storms. It's just one item of a long list of things I disapprove of at TWC. What are they even getting at?

If I walk up to a random person on the street here in (metro) Atlanta, and I ask them, "Winter Storm Leon (oh, I'm sorry, #Leon) was quite the storm, eh?", he'll just look at me funny and ask me what I'm talking about. Ditto for Pax, the ice storm that came two weeks later. If TWC's ultimate goal is to make people more aware of winter storms, I'd say they're failing. Nobody remembers winter storms by names like "Pax", "Leon", or whatnot unless it was major, and even then, they won't use the names some small, anachronistic cable channel came up with. Everyone remembers "Snowjam '82" or "Snowmageddon 2010", but that's because of widespread use of those names in the media and by word-of-mouth. If TWC came up with winter storm names those years, few people would remember them by those names, as only one "major" media outlet uses them: TWC.

It also didn't help that TWC has sometimes only named winter storms once they reach the east coast, when the system likely wreaked havoc across the rest of the country several days earlier. East coast media bias at its best.

Matt, I do like your names, I think you took more time coming up with these names than TWC for theirs.

Believe it or not, the names really came naturally - it was a matter of who to leave OFF the list rather than who to put on the list. I think half the list I knew what I wanted to use coming in. Arn was originally "Animal", but I decided that I wanted all Four Horsemen in, so he became storm A. Bischoff was a gimme. I was going to go with CM Punk, but Cena rolls off the tongue a little better. Diesel, Earthquake, and Flair were obvious choices. Triple H is there as "HHH" because it looks funny as hell. Iron Sheik is there because Iron Sheik. Jericho and Kane - also easy. Luger I'm not too crazy about. Monsoon I definitely wanted to put in there. Nash... now that I look at it, I could probably take him out since he's already in as Diesel and I kind of really want to use McMahon on the list. That displaces Macho Man, which I put in the R spot for "Randy Savage". Sting was a gimme, Shockmaster needs to be immortalized somehow. Undertaker, obvious. Ultimate Warrior, also obvious. I might move Virgil up to the main roster in order to use Lonely Virgil images. Yokozuna and Zbysko... yeah.

Honestly I have enough material to do another year of Professional Wrestler Names. I don't know if I'll do it, but the material is there.

It's clear that We Don't Know is the ultimate reason for why TWC just doesn't even try anymore. Would've been better fit and hilarious if something like The Daily Show does it. Some of the names are good like Cato, Remus, Astro, Pandora and Sparta, Hector, Iola, Thor and Eris.

Anyway, Matt, you have once again come up with a better and entertaining list. I hope to see Earthquake, Bishoff and Ultimate Warrior for the stronger storms and Cena for a weaker one.

I almost kept "Cato" because I wanted to add "Chris" in front of it as he's one of WCAU's weekday anchors.

Winter Storm Cena, I'm gonna bet, is going to last for days and days, dump an unfathomable amount of snow on us, and stick around for way too long.

Archived