Tom Maglozzi, NPR's Car Talk Host, Dead at 77

cbs2newengland

In the midst of a busy news cycle this week, there is some sad news in the world of radio. Tom Maglozzi, the host of Car Talk on National Public Radio had died on Monday. CNN reports he died of complications of Alzheimer's disease. He was 77 years old. The brothers, Tom and Ray hosted the show originally at WBUR back in 1977, and 10 years later, NPR picked up the show to go national up until the end of 2012.

They would then become a syndicated column, where segments of the show was the dialogue, they would answer back and forth to the question originating from a caller, most of the time it would appear in the local Sunday paper. They also had the long time Car Talk website, that wasn't produced by NPR and was self supported by the brothers. They also did a PBS program with help at archival entity, WGBH circa 2008(?) producing a family cartoon.

This tells it all from Doug Berman, the long time producer telling the Boston Herald: “They outlasted AMC, Plymouth, Mercury and the entire lifespan of Saturn.”

The show was a staple of mine, and was interested in NPR programming that happened to be on the weekend, the laughter was probably what made the show entertaining and the endless names of credits they would make up at the end of the program. I haven't listened to the show in years, but it was always fun when I tuned in.

Archived