Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

Has Konrad even come back this week? He had some throat procedure done and I didn't think he'd be back til next week.

Yes. He was on this morning.

They're going strong into the 10pm hour... I wonder how long WGN (and all the others) will be on tonight.

I really hope Demetrius gets some sort of reward for his coverage. He is doing a fantastic job.

At one point, Tom and the rest of the crew gave him kudos for his coverage. He said he has covered small tornadoes before, but, as you can imagine, seeing the devastation first hand is difficult to see/explain.

• 4 weeks later...

You never know what you can find on Youtube... I happened upon a video that led me to a news music website that has a sampling of the new "Chicago's very own" cuts that WGN is currently only using for openers. Even though the quality isn't too good and it's "watermarked," it's still pretty interesting. I wish they'd start using more of these cuts... I particularly like 0:20-0:40, 1:42-1:59, and 2:10-2:27.

http://newsthemes.elementfx.com/index.php/chicagos-very-own/

I had the opportunity to hear most of the new cuts, in their clean, unadulterated form. They're very nice, and while I generally like the '07 originals better, it's a shame they're not using the updates across the board. But, apparently the higher ups aren't as enthusiastic about the new cuts as the last regime.

Per Robert Feder, WGN-TV is making changes in its sports department for the first time in forever; they're bringing in Jarrett Payton from WGN radio to host a sports talk show on CLTV Sundays-Thursdays. Not many details yet, but I'm sure we'll also see him filling in and reporting on channel 9. That CLTV show could be interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after all these years, WGN has finally moved the score bug into the 16:9 area and has also made the out-of-town score graphic at the bottom smaller. Much better.

CmfVtdfl.jpg

Only problem is that master control never got the memo to start letterboxing the SD feed, so SD viewers are seeing an extremely messed up broadcast right now.

The ticker was changed within the last few weeks. It seemed really small when I noticed it, but actually cheered when I realized the video wasn't compressed.

Never thought I'd see the day.

Well, after all these years, WGN has finally moved the score bug into the 16:9 area and has also made the out-of-town score graphic at the bottom smaller. Much better.

CmfVtdfl.jpg

Only problem is that master control never got the memo to start letterboxing the SD feed, so SD viewers are seeing an extremely messed up broadcast right now.

Now only if WLS would do the same...

Yeah, I wouldn't mind an all-new graphics package next year. This one has been around since 2011. It's about time to switch it up.

Yeah, the score bug and L3s could use an update, but I still really like the openers and music.

WGN's baseball graphics pack has aged pretty well. Sure, it could use a tweak or two but compared to other networks (MASN, YES, NESN), it's still one of the best looks out there.

Yeah, the score bug and L3s could use an update, but I still really like the openers and music.

Yeah, I think the openers and music could afford to stay; after all, the openers don't really even have anything to do with the lower third and score bug design.