Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

1 hour ago, R.R. said:

That’s been out in the news the past two weeks 😂😂

It's not exactly a industry-shaking hire, and it wasn't mentioned on the forum. It flew under my (and apparently others') radar, so I posted it. No offense, but why didn't you, if you knew?

Edited by 24994J

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

It's not exactly a industry-shaking hire, and it wasn't mentioned on the forum. It flew under my (and apparently others') radar, so I posted it. No offense, but why didn't you, if you knew?

It was a huge news day when it Kayden announced her NN hire, and I forgot to post about that, however it’s in my newscasts from my “Briefly Tonight” portion on YT.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

RIP Jim Ramsey. It's hard to believe it's already been over 4 years since he retired. He was always Mr. Dependable at WGN, always there to fill in on literally any weekday timeslot while still carrying his regular weekend shifts, sometimes working like 14 or more days in a row when Tom or Paul were on vacation. Gonna miss you, Jim.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

https://www.robertfeder.com/2022/04/11/robservations-sports-anchors-away-lauren-magiera-leaves-wgn-kaitlin-sharkey-leaves-fox-32-score-picks-gabe-ramirez/

Lauren Magiera is out. With Dan pushing his retirement back and Payton the obvious person to replace him. She maybe felt she was not getting the lead sports position anytime soon.

They're stacked in the sports department, and could easily skip hiring anyone to replace her AND Dan, if they really wanted to go cheap. Roan is obviously still there, and Tomasulo probably stays on the morning show, but they still have Payton and Frydman (the favorite for weekends, if they don't hire from outside), plus Chris Boden and Dave Eanet as fill-ins. That said, they've had a job listing posted for a sports anchor for more than a month. That could be just a formality and elevate a current employee, but I doubt they'll go too long without a female on the team.

Want to really shake things up? Poach Miller or Chiaverini from 7, since that feels like the pending collision course, when Rose retires, or even pluck Blanzy from 5, whose airtime has been greatly diminished with the promotion of Leila Rahimi to sports director. And I'll throw it out there. Feder had this line about Kaitlin Sharkey leaving Fox32..."What’s behind her departure should become clear when we see her next move."

4 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Dan Roan's swan song will be May 26.

Wow, what a day for the WGN Sports department. I guess that means a really major overhaul is in store. I've got a major hunch that Kaitlin Sharkey's WFLD departure is a sign that she's going to join WGN.

What's the current situation with GN Sports? I haven't watched in quite a while. Is Dan Roan hosting Sunday-Thursday while Jarrett Payton hosts Monday-Friday, or did they finally unify their schedules? I'm curious how they would re-tool these lineups in a post-Dan Roan era.

• 1 month later...

I'm curious to see how WGN will handle Dan Roan's goodbye tonight. I know they've still been enforcing social distancing in the studio. I wonder if they'll lift those restrictions a bit in order for the anchors and crew to give him a proper goodbye.

I'm also curious if they would do two separate goodbyes - one at the end of the 10pm news and one at the end of GN Sports - or if they'll just do a single goodbye.

All farewells, so far, have been dominating the final 20+ minutes of GN Sports, so I'd imagine the FINAL farewell will be there. He doesn't do sports on the 10, but they could still do something there. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if his big, though maybe less formal speech was at 9, with the main team. As for distancing, they've recently accommodated 3 at the main desk with someone sitting between the main anchor positions. Stand Skilling behind the roll-away portion, and they can get everyone in the same vicinity. Still, despite the return to distancing, they haven't stopped having guests in-studio, so I can't imagine that there'll only be a small on-air group, plus family.

They did stuff throughout both the 9 and 10pm newscasts, but yeah, they did the big final farewell during GN Sports. Ray, Micah, and Tom re-joined Dan and Jarrett at the desk during GN Sports, also bringing in Rich King, Josh Frydman, and many others. For the very final segment, the on-air staff left the desk, instead having Dan sit at the desk surrounded by his family while Dan delivered his final remarks. They wound up staying live over their timeslot, ending the show at 11:01pm.

Dan did remark that they have hired their new sports anchor, but they can't announce it yet. He said the announcement should happen next week.

I'd honestly be stunned if it was Giangreco, unless it was so they could elevate Josh Frydman and have Mark as a fill-in. Dan certainly implied that Frydman is in the long-term plans. I don't love J.P. as an anchor, but he's a great personality, and I'd be down for a J.P. & Josh weeknight platoon.

As for the send-off, it was very nice, and I LOVED the cake, adorned with past and present logos.

Chris Boden gets promoted to full-time, while Kaitlin Sharkey, who voluntarily exited Fox32 the same week Magiera was let go from 9, joins WGN. Neither are being named to a broadcast slot, at least for now.. Payton and Frydman are also in the mix, so that'll mean any/all of 4 sports anchors on any given night. That's not at all messy and annoying.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2022/05/31/wgn-names-chris-boden-kaitlin-sharkey-full-time-sports-anchors/

16 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Chris Boden gets promoted to full-time, while Kaitlin Sharkey, who voluntarily exited Fox32 the same week Magiera was let go from 9, joins WGN. Neither are being named to a broadcast slot, at least for now.. Payton and Frydman are also in the mix, so that'll mean any/all of 4 sports anchors on any given night. That's not at all messy and annoying.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2022/05/31/wgn-names-chris-boden-kaitlin-sharkey-full-time-sports-anchors/

This is exactly what I expected in terms of hires. Sharkey leaving WFLD at the same time Magiera left WGN made it all-too-obvious.

What I didn't expect was WGN taking a WMAQ-style approach to just having any sports anchor appear on any given night. I figured they would go with assigned roles right out of the gate. I would assume they'll have defined roles before November sweeps, but hey, you never know.

The wording about the 3 longer-tenured staffers seems to suggest that Payton and Frydman might be getting weeknight WGN Sports, outright, no matter how things shake out. But really, I don't see the WMAQ model serving well for the long-term. Cemented spots by the fall feels like a solid bet.