Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

This has been going in my head for a while, and this is just my opinion, but I feel like the Morning News hasn't been a fun watch as it has in the past. I think it has lost quality.

If one of the core three (Larry, Robin or Paul) is off, there's a serious lack of chemistry. I caught a little bit of a newscast awhile back with Larry, Lauren (filling in for Robin) and Paul and you can tell the difference. Plus, as they age, they slowing start sounding like old curmudgeons when talking about certain things (i.e. viewer complaints, etc...). I don't watch them (I rather be informed than entertained), but at some point, the fun times and whatnot will become unsustainable.

I would think there's an uncertain future ahead. Who's to say what the WGN Morning News will be a year from now, both in terms of personnel and format.

If the merger fully goes through, would Sinclair want to mess with a top-rated morning show (other than tacking on their right-wing must-runs throughout the show, which would get annoying fast)? Then again, it is Sinclair, so who knows.

If the merger fully goes through, would Sinclair want to mess with a top-rated morning show (other than tacking on their right-wing must-runs throughout the show, which would get annoying fast)? Then again, it is Sinclair, so who knows.

As much as we drag on Sinclair politics, even they must recognize the program's potential. Unfortunately, the top talents' salaries are what are most likely to cause changes.

As much as we drag on Sinclair politics, even they must recognize the program's potential. Unfortunately, the top talents' salaries are what are most likely to cause changes.

So basically, for on-air talent, they'll be given a choice to either stay and accept a lower salary, or not accept it and leave?

I'm subscribed to their creative services account, and just saw that WGN posted this fall's sales presentation video.

[MEDIA=vimeo]239535614[/MEDIA]

A few things stuck out. They conveniently left out the part that their lead anchor is leaving, though they made a point to talk up Ben Bradley. That said, the end of the clip includes a promo that is now airing to that masses that, despite a few months til his exit, completely omits Mark Suppelsa. Seems a little soon to do that, but whatever. Also in the sales pitch is a tease of a "local show with national potential, starring morning sports anchor and comedian Pat Tomasulo", that will air this winter. No idea what they have in mind, or if it has any effect on his morning show role.

• Like 5

Wow, when's the last time he was in studio?

Also, what was the segment about?

He was basically a co-host for the whole hour, appearing for the 9@9 (though he was only observing), talking with Dean Richards about celebrities, a Maury interview, and the end-of-show text segment.

. Also in the sales pitch is a tease of a "local show with national potential, starring morning sports anchor and comedian Pat Tomasulo", that will air this winter. No idea what they have in mind, or if it has any effect on his morning show role.

I've had a hunch that this was coming... it seems like they have been trying to groom Tomasulo for a larger role, especially this year with his primetime comedy special and his new "Voice of Reason" video series. I wonder if they're developing some kind of sports/comedy talk show around him, possibly airing in the evening (or late night?) I would think a debut would probably come after the holidays, but if they're mentioning it in their sales video, hopefully we'll find out more soon.

• 2 weeks later...

It was mentioned today that Erin Ivory will be a permanent fixture on the 4pm show in addition to the 5pm show on a daily basis going forward. Previously, she appeared on the 5pm show on a regular basis, and IIRC, she would only occasionally appear on the 4pm show.

She's still going to be in the same role, just doing so every single weekday at 4pm and 5pm.