Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

Patrick Elwood's anchoring with Jackie tonight. Is this his first time anchoring on WGN?

I believe it is. Unless there was another time we didn't know about.

You would think after three years, he would fill-in a bit more often. But 9 has a heavy bench of reporters that fill-in anchor from time to time.

Could they possibly be waiting for the regular season? Or possibly be waiting for Sinclair to take over so that they can make their own package?

Maybe they are waiting for the deal to ACTUALLY BE APPROVED FIRST.

This is what I love here..

You are all soooo against the Sinclair deal as being evil and sinister...

Yet...

You all can't wait for those NEW evil and sinister Sinclair graphics.

OMG...the irritation has become part of the attraction.

• Like 2

WGN announced on-air today that just like last year, "Cubs Nightly" will air every night at 6:30pm from October 2nd until the Cubs' playoff run is over. It will replace the 6:30-7pm block of news, which, of course, didn't exist last October.

Seems like overkill. I'll stick with WFLD/Fox 32 and their 'Blue October' specials.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any details about how WGN managed to get rights to air the Bears/Vikings game tonight? The only info I found was a corporate release.

AFAIK, ESPN regularly offers the MNF games to the highest bidder whenever the game can't air on the ABC O&O (because Dancing with the Stars is more important for ABC.) That's why, if the Bears have a MNF game in December when DWTS is over, the MNF game will be on WLS. Otherwise, it gets sold to somebody else in the market, typically WGN, WCIU, or WPWR.

• Like 3

AFAIK, ESPN regularly offers the MNF games to the highest bidder whenever the game can't air on the ABC O&O (because Dancing with the Stars is more important for ABC.) That's why, if the Bears have a MNF game in December when DWTS is over, the MNF game will be on WLS. Otherwise, it gets sold to somebody else in the market, typically WGN, WCIU, or WPWR.

Thanks! Didn't know MNF was offered to the local O&Os or other local stations.

One other thing I noticed this morning, WGN showed a control room shot with a fully staffed control room. The morning show isn't on automation (surprising).