Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

Oddly enough, no, because "EVENING NEWS" was still there even after. They probably just stuck it there to see how it looks, or it was a mistake.

It almost seems like they're using it alongside the anchors' names, and, like now (8pm news), a newscast with a formal branding.

Anyone else notice how glitchy WGN has been since their upgrade? Slow to play videos and leaving the speaker hanging, wrong videos being played, wrong text in the L3 popping up, logo bug disappeared at one point, some of the animations aren't smooth and are a little slow, etc. I think I've seen more than I've ever seen in a day. I guess they've still got a few kinks to work out of their system with the technical upgrades, but it's led to a few awkward moments.

Maybe they installed Tribunes new equipment?

• Like 1

Oddly enough, no, because "EVENING NEWS" was still there even after. They probably just stuck it there to see how it looks, or it was a mistake.

I'm sure that will change down the road. When KTLA debuted their new set and graphics last fall, all newscasts had graphics that said either MORNING NEWS, AFTERNOON NEWS, or EVENING NEWS. The MORNING NEWS graphic is the only one that stayed since that is what their AM show is called, KTLA 5 MORNING NEWS. All of the rest defaulted to NEWS AT 1, NEWS AT 3, NEWS AT 6 or NEWS AT 11.

Maybe they installed Tribunes new equipment?

Tribune made their own newsroom software right? It's browser based?

EDIT: Found the info about Tribune's in house TV/newsroom/playout systems. Amazing how the stations are running off of essentially consumer grade PCs (there's probably an actual server or two somewhere in the mix).

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/103819/diy-tv-tech-powers-tribune-newsrooms-mcs

Tribune made their own newsroom software right? It's browser based?

EDIT: Found the info about Tribune's in house TV/newsroom/playout systems. Amazing how the stations are running off of essentially consumer grade PCs (there's probably an actual server or two somewhere in the mix).

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/103819/diy-tv-tech-powers-tribune-newsrooms-mcs

It was briefly mentioned in another thread. Apparently its buggy and when it crashes they're SOL.

Figured out that it was live. There were clues such as the live shots behind Tom's graphics, the time stamp on the radar loops, and the tease to sports featured Tom on the desk.

Good on Tom, I would have expected most weather people to pre-tape and not bother staying late.

• Like 1

Wgn just had to go to commercial. Video playback and prompted issues.

Funny, WMAQ was having severe playback issues at the end of their 5pm show yesterday. The final two segments ended in black screen with flickering graphics.

Not a good day for Chicago News tech.

• Like 2

Did Morgan Kolkmeyer debut yet? I know almost none of us watch the early morning show. Not sure if anybody knows.

She was training this week, and debuts Monday. They're even teasing it in weekend the promo for the early shift.

Has anybody watched Morgan on the early morning news?

Serviceable on the weather front, but she seemed kind of intimidated by the irreverence on the first few days. She's starting to warm up, though.