Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

WGN dropping the CW was the biggest mistake that station has ever made. The only money there going to make is with some news that is 7 to 10am. WBBM is going to stay on there butt at 11 as long as Lets Make a Deal is on at 9 and The Price is Right is on at 11 I dont care who is anchoring. WMAQ is starting a 4pm newscast that will scatter WLS and WGNs 4pm ratings even more so good luck with that. Primetime ratings the days with no sports hell probably wont even beat WCIU and WFLD is getting closer to the key money demo with WGN 25-54 so yeah WGN has weekend morning news and 7-10 on weekdays. Good Luck with that

• Like 3

And as for WFLDs weekend morning news i cant even find ratings for any weekend morning news and i think WFLD just wants to have a newscast in every spot which they pretty much do except weekend early evenings which is kinda dumb and there making money on the boat WGN has to swim to catch making more ad dollars weekend mornings

WGN dropping the CW was the biggest mistake that station has ever made.

They're letting go ten hours of primetime, six hours of Litton E/I hell that any station would drop the moment the FCC says it's OK, and a mediocre five-day-a-week talk show which only got press as a schedule mention. I don't think anything is in peril there, and they'll be fine; the only variable here is that the 7pm film block that did OK in the 80's would be pummeled in 2016 and they'll have to figure out something new here.

I don't think anything is in peril there, and they'll be fine; the only variable here is that the 7pm film block that did OK in the 80's would be pummeled in 2016 and they'll have to figure out something new here.

Two and a Half Men isn't the solution, for sure. That said, if they're willing to throw in some local programming and specials, in a addition to the sports, it gives me some hope that they're not entirely taking the easy/lazy way out.

Speaking of the sports coverage, if their carriage agreements remain roughly the same, you can expect (not counting baseball preseason) close to 150 game telecasts each year, and like 80% of those falling in primetime. Heck, they might not even take as many day games next baseball season with their newfound freedom. I'd imagine they might even make a play for a Thursday night (non-NBC or CBS) Bears game every so often. So, even if the sitcoms are on like 3 weeknights a week, that's definitely not as bad as it could be.

Octobers are gonna suck, though, no matter what.

• Like 1

I don't know that they wanted to lose those games, especially to their top competitor. The team exercised a renegotiation of the deal and was willing to let WGN keep like two thirds of their games at the same price, knowing they'd be pulling in 3 times as much from ABC 7. WGN pays $250K per game, CSN like twice that, and ABC drops three quarters of a million per game. WGN-TV just couldn't compete (the radio station, on the other hand, was happy to end their deal).

Weigel has the rights to most of those games. Many of them airs on its "UToo" subchannel.

But don't 9 carry some preseason Bulls/Hawks games? Or is it all CSN?

They have the one of the Hawks' six preseason games on Friday, 9/30, and WGN and WPWR each had a Bulls preseason match last year. All (the vast majority, anyway) MLB spring training exhibitions are day games (2 or 3 o'clock, depending on the time change).

I'd imagine they might even make a play for a Thursday night (non-NBC or CBS) Bears game every so often. So, even if the sitcoms are on like 3 weeknights a week, that's definitely not as bad as it could be.

Octobers are gonna suck, though, no matter what.

Unfortunately the way it goes now is an NFL Network-exclusive game has the syndicated rights go to the producing network (CBS/NBC split the production/announcing duties this year), so either WMAQ or WBBM retain it no matter what. Thier only hope is WLS sub-licenses MNF games.

This October might not be too bad though; they can easily do comprehensive Cubs postgame shows there and if they get far, expect that to steamroll the entire schedule.

Unfortunately the way it goes now is an NFL Network-exclusive game has the syndicated rights go to the producing network (CBS/NBC split the production/announcing duties this year), so either WMAQ or WBBM retain it no matter what. Thier only hope is WLS sub-licenses MNF games.

I forgot about that. As for Mondays, 7's cozy relationship with The U probably kills that possibility.

I bet they wish they wouldn't have let all of those extra Cubs games go to WLS.

They didn't really have a choice. Keep in mind that it has only been a couple of years since Tribune (Media) emerged from bankruptcy, so they don't have a ton of money. Every decision they make has to be about increasing stock value and living within their means. Even though they can now air more sports programming uninterrupted, it's unclear whether they will 'go beyond' their current package(s) once renewal time comes around.

• Like 1

According to Paul Konrad, the weekend morning show will be just 7 to 9. Sean Lewis remains, and he'll be joined by Tonya Francisco.

"Congratulations to Tonya Francisco on being named WGN Morning News Weekend Anchor. Starting Sept 10th, she will join Sean Lewis on the new expanded 7-9am show.

Tonya is delightful and I am sure you will enjoy seeing more of her. Be sure to follow her here on Facebook and on Twitter at @TonyaFrancisco

Congrats Tonya"

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154362679043847

• Like 3

According to Paul Konrad, the weekend morning show will be just 7 to 9. Sean Lewis remains, and he'll be joined by Tonya Francisco.

"Congratulations to Tonya Francisco on being named WGN Morning News Weekend Anchor. Starting Sept 10th, she will join Sean Lewis on the new expanded 7-9am show.

Tonya is delightful and I am sure you will enjoy seeing more of her. Be sure to follow her here on Facebook and on Twitter at @TonyaFrancisco

Congrats Tonya"

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154362679043847

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/8403-wgn-tv-moving-expanding-weekend-morning-news

• 2 weeks later...

Watched it over the weekend. They're in the studio now instead of the newsroom. Bionce Foxx is doing the traffic duties from (what I presume is) the CLTV traffic area. No humor bits, but I'm hoping they start doing those on the weekends as well.

Chemistry needs a bit of work. I am guessing that Sean has been used to anchoring that morning show solo, it would explain why at times it seemed that Sean forgot that Tonya was there and was talking only to Mike. On Sunday though, Sean and Tonya were starting to banter. Hoping these two hit it off, and become a solid C-team behind Dan/Lourdes (B) and Larry/Robin (A).

• Like 1

Watched it over the weekend. They're in the studio now instead of the newsroom. Bionce Foxx is doing the traffic duties from (what I presume is) the CLTV traffic area. No humor bits, but I'm hoping they start doing those on the weekends as well.

Chemistry needs a bit of work. I am guessing that Sean has been used to anchoring that morning show solo, it would explain why at times it seemed that Sean forgot that Tonya was there and was talking only to Mike. On Sunday though, Sean and Tonya were starting to banter. Hoping these two hit it off, and become a solid C-team behind Dan/Lourdes (B) and Larry/Robin (A).

No need to have humor bits and the like. They should work on chemistry and allow things to come naturally first. Honestly, I would rather they do their own thing and not attempt to copy the weekday show in any way. Their main competition is GDC Weekends, so they really don't have to do much to beat them.

• Like 3