Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

WGN waited for Rich to retire to bring back the talent opens. They just aired a brand new 10pm talent open with Lauren Magiera.

Did the 10pm ever even have a talent open since day one? I never remember seeing them.

I rarely watch the 10, but I remember seeing it once or twice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First Rich, now Bob... I have to wonder how much longer it'll be before that entire weekend team is turned over. I agree Sean Lewis is probably a frontrunner, but weren't we also told that the weekend morning news was going to be expanded when the station goes indie? There might actually be 2 weekend anchor spots to fill (assuming they'd add an AM anchor). It'll be interesting to see what they do. There's certainly no shortage of good, underutilized anchor talent over there.

One would think Sean or possibly Tom are up for it, and both would be deserving. And if we're talking underutilized, I'm still disappointed that we haven't seen Patrick Elwood on the desk since he's been there.

As for the weekend morning show, it'll be interesting where they take it. They could continue to go the traditional route like they've done since it launched, or they could try to replicate the weekday formula, but that carries some risk. They've been pretty lucky assembling the early shift B-team, but lightning doesn't often strike thrice.

Tahman Bradley has been the primary fill-in anchor for Bob these last few months. Seeing as Jackie always used to anchor solo when Bob was off, but they recently started bringing in Tahman, I got the feeling that Tahman was being groomed for the permanent role.

• Like 2

Congrats to Bob on his amazing career at WGN. Hard to believe him and Jackie have been paired together for over 20 years. Had Roseanne Tellez stayed on weekends (and at WGN), her and Bob would have been pushing closer to/at 25 years together (if I remember correctly). And had WFLD not pushed Bryon Harlen and Nancy Pender out the door, they would have celebrated 20 yrs. together next year.

I can't say who should succeed Bob, but those are some big shoes to fill no doubt. Hopefully they just add a hr. to the weekend morning newscast (5-7A) and leave it at that. No need to go crazy.

• Like 6

Congrats to Bob on his amazing career at WGN. Hard to believe him and Jackie have been paired together for over 20 years. Had Roseanne Tellez stayed on weekends (and at WGN), her and Bob would have been pushing closer to/at 25 years together (if I remember correctly). And had WFLD not pushed Bryon Harlen and Nancy Pender out the door, they would have celebrated 20 yrs. together next year.

I can't say who should succeed Bob, but those are some big shoes to fill no doubt. Hopefully they just add a hr. to the weekend morning newscast (5-7A) and leave it at that. No need to go crazy.

I've heard 6-9 floating around a few times, and considering their weekday time frame and weekend competition, that wouldn't be too unreasonable. That said, a co-anchor, at minimum, will have to be added because I don't think the quasi-CLTV format will work for anything more than an hour.

I've heard 6-9 floating around a few times, and considering their weekday time frame and weekend competition, that wouldn't be too unreasonable. That said, a co-anchor, at minimum, will have to be added because I don't think the quasi-CLTV format will work for anything more than an hour.

I have a very strong feeling that there will definitely be news between 7-8 on the weekends, as 7 goes to GMA for an hour.

• Like 1

Did somebody say Nancy Pender???

Torture can be administered in so many ways....

Well, we have an even better idea of what the first weeks of independence will be like on the old number 9.

Fri 9/2: Wrigley 100 (from 2014, anniversary special)

Mon 9/5-15: SportsFeed specials (TBA)

Wed 9/14: LIVE Morning News special (TBA)

Fri 9/16: Cubs Playoff Preview special (TBA)

Mon 9/19: Last Man Standing debuts (8pm)

As you might have guessed, the TBA's mean the time slot is unknown. Also unknown is whether SportsFeed will air every night, or just during the week. I'm also really excited to see what they come up with for the morning show special. Even if there are some old clips, I hope the only live bits aren't just segment introductions.

Baseball will also air in M-F primetime on September 9, 12, 20, 21, 28 & 29.

See it before they pull it...

[MEDIA=vimeo]179477324[/MEDIA]

• Like 1

So they're getting rid of the 6am hour?

[MEDIA=twitter]766750450712322049[/MEDIA]

Using the word 'expanding' would suggest they're adding on to and not taking away the 6A hr. I guess we shall see once official word come down. Going head-to-head with Good Day makes sense, but I'm not sure how competitive either newscast will be. Trying to replicate the success of the weekday WGN morning show to the weekends is easier said than done.