Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
CLTV "Sports Feed" co-host Josh Frydman is doing sports for Rich this evening. Once a producer for the station, this is the first time, to my knowledge, that he's filled in on the mothership.

Actually, I think it's the second. I saw him on the mothership a few weeks ago.

Interestingly, he didn't stick around for the 9pm news. To my shock, Dan Roan actually came in on a Saturday to do the 9pm.

Their SD feed is now letterboxed during the news. Now, let's reformat the L3s and get that bug down to a reasonable size, WGN!

For you. I've heard others say that ABC 7's newscasts are being letterboxed, but AT&T's done none of this.

Well, they issued yet another profuse apology for the gaffe on tonight's newscast, and then showed a feature report on an area synagogue and what Yom Kippur means. Suffice to say, they've handled this about as well as they could have. Assuming (hoping) it wasn't someone's idea of a crude joke, it was a cringe-worthy mistake, and I have no idea how it happened. But, pretty much every station has made unfortunate graphics errors because, well, sh*t happens. You can bet WGN is going to be a lot more careful, since this is ALL over the internet. Granted, most people won't remember this by Friday, but still....

And, as inane as this may seem, I feel really sorry for Negovan, since he had nothing to do with the creation of the graphic. But it's his face that is being passed around on social media in the now-infamous screen grab.

Well, they issued yet another profuse apology for the gaffe on tonight's newscast, and then showed a feature report on an area synagogue and what Yom Kippur means. Suffice to say, they've handled this about as well as they could have. Assuming (hoping) it wasn't someone's idea of a crude joke, it was a cringe-worthy mistake, and I have no idea how it happened. But, pretty much every station has made unfortunate graphics errors because, well, sh*t happens. You can bet WGN is going to be a lot more careful, since this is ALL over the internet. Granted, most people won't remember this by Friday, but still....

And, as inane as this may seem, I feel really sorry for Negovan, since he had nothing to do with the creation of the graphic. But it's his face that is being passed around on social media in the now-infamous screen grab.

It could be whoever grabbed that image was as oblivious as I was. It's probably just that innocuous not that it makes it any better.

• Like 1

Assuming (hoping) it wasn't someone's idea of a crude joke, it was a cringe-worthy mistake, and I have no idea how it happened. But, pretty much every station has made unfortunate graphics errors because, well, sh*t happens. You can bet WGN is going to be a lot more careful, since this is ALL over the internet.

I think the biggest question is what is this graphic saved/listed under in their system? That could rectify whether or not this was intentional. Maybe they, as well as others, should just keep things simple by not using any symbols of any kind besides a Christmas tree, Turkey and a pumpkin every now and then.

I'm frankly shocked to hear that anyone would be that unfamiliar with the history of the Holocaust that they wouldn't recognize that symbol and it's origin. It's truly amazing, and a little disheartening.

I'm going to hope that the use of the image was by someone out of ignorance, but I'm not sure that makes it any better in my mind.

And I'd say that I wouldn't be surprised that Fox News or even many of the execs at Sinclair would say that people were playing the political correctness card on WGN seeing as how those two (Fox News and Sinclair, especially the former) are known to be willfully ignorant about some things (including the Star of David's importance in WWII).

Tribune's in a dispute with AT&T, and WGN will be dropped when their agreement ends at the end of the month.

http://wgntv.com/keep-wgn-on-att-uverse/

As will all other Tribune stations, including KDAF, unless they manage to come to an agreement before the expiration date. Same goes with Media General.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/2796526-at-and-t-facing-blackout-talks-with-tribune-media-general