Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

56 minutes ago, alex979 said:

A really nice upgrade to the score bug this year. Boxes are shaded for the team colors and logos added too, kinda reminiscent of CBS. Amazing how much better this looks than last year. 

That looks so much better. Kind of a worthless upgrade, though, considering this is the final season of sports on WGN.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Has WGN covered this tornado warning at all? Every other station in the market has broken in for wall to wall coverage, but it looks like WGN has committed to stay with Cubs coverage without so much as a double box live report from the weather center as they've done in years past. 

31 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Has WGN covered this tornado warning at all? Every other station in the market has broken in for wall to wall coverage, but it looks like WGN has committed to stay with Cubs coverage without so much as a double box live report from the weather center as they've done in years past. 

Is the Cubs game in a Rain Delay?

Whether or not it's enough can be debated, but they had their storm ticker up nearly the entire time, just like FOX32 the other overnight.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2

Tornado confirmed on the ground near Dyer, and WGN is in postgame commercials with no ticker over the commercials. Ticker didn't come up until the postgame show came back on. 

And despite the urgent situation, they are still continuing the postgame show like nothing ever happened because the car company with the blue oval is paying them to do so. 

Edited by Spring Rubber
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

What happens when you go to a double box is that you pissing off the people that want to watch the game with a bunch of "weather junk" and you make the people that need the weather info mad because all the maps are to small to read, so no one is happy. There were 4 other tv stations giving out the same weather information, sometimes the right programming strategy is not to break into programming and just run weather ticker on the bottom of the screen.

Edited by doublejman69

no doubt about it... classic management interference right there...

sports broadcasts bring in the big bucks... don't want to piss off a client with your tornado warning ticker covering their phone number...

and the postgame sponsor paid for the whole show... not the part covered up by some weather guy with his sleeves rolled up...

WGN has only so many games left to milk sweet ad revenue from... 

and of course... nobody wants to deal with angry cubbies fans... drunkenly hooting and hollering to the poor assignment desk about how distracting the weather double box is...

Edited by Webovision

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

Dan Roan is doing play-by-play for today's Cubs-Cardinals game. Never seen him in this role before. This should be interesting.

He is considered a substitute broadcaster (has been since the 80s) and I believe can only sub on games that air on WGN.

26 minutes ago, alex979 said:

Over two years later, the old news set lives again. 

So CLTV isn't being treated as an afterthought after all. 

Looks like the background builds off the diamond motif WGN uses outside of news.

Edited by Georgie56

I watched a little bit of the 7pm CLTV newscast tonight. Is was much of the usual CLTV fare with just solo tight shots of the lone anchor, and all you could see was the duratran. I think they did one slightly zoomed out shot late in the newscast where you could see a bit of the shelf unit in the background.

I have to wonder if they're going to make broader use of the set or if this was just a way to get the show out of the newsroom. I hope they do something with it, otherwise just a tiny flashcam setup would have achieved the same effect.

5 hours ago, 24994J said:

Kind of a interesting question addressed here. Just how traumatizing can TV news reporting be for a journalist's mental well-being? In Marcella Raymond's case, very.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/06/18/wgn-reporter-says-job-gave-ptsd/

Wow, the toils of being a news reporter in a city full of tragedy. Something I've never even thought about before.

11 hours ago, 24994J said:

Kind of a interesting question addressed here. Just how traumatizing can TV news reporting be for a journalist's mental well-being? In Marcella Raymond's case, very.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/06/18/wgn-reporter-says-job-gave-ptsd/

I love Marcella. Been a fan of her's for a long time. Not surprised she's going through this but surprised that many more haven't admitted this yet because this job would suck the fun out of everybody when all your covering is hard news and crime.

I feel so bad for her as I've admired her for a long time now.