Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

• 2 months later...

So, the first TV listings of the new fall season are out, and there are a few notable changes on the WGN schedule. Despite the show wrapping production, I'm shocked that a rerun slate of Maury isn't included in the afternoon block. Instead, Lauren Lake's Paternity Court (yikes) slots in at 2pm. The biggest surprise, though, might come at 3pm, as Friends reruns return to weekday, daylight hours for the first time in forever. Personally, that programming decision feels like a placeholder move, but what do I know?

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, 24994J said:

Despite the show wrapping production, I'm shocked that a rerun slate of Maury isn't included in the afternoon block. Instead, Lauren Lake's Paternity Court (yikes) slots in at 2pm. 

The Maury repeats are headed to WCIU at 11am, before his successor show Karamo comes on. 

All the NBC trash talkers will be on one place. 

Edited by CircleSeven

11 hours ago, 24994J said:

So, the first TV listings of the new fall season are out, and there are a few notable changes on the WGN schedule. Despite the show wrapping production, I'm shocked that a rerun slate of Maury isn't included in the afternoon block. Instead, Lauren Lake's Paternity Court (yikes) slots in at 2pm. The biggest surprise, though, might come at 3pm, as Friends reruns return to weekday, daylight hours for the first time in forever. Personally, that programming decision feels like a placeholder move, but what do I know?

There hasn’t been a court show on WGN since Judge Jeanine Pirro which was taped at NBC tower years ago!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looked at WGN’s Thanksgiving schedule, and it appears they’re not running Bozo, Gar & Ray this year, instead replacing it with the two Bozo’s Circus 1960s and 1970s specials.

Meanwhile, the Chicago Thanksgiving Parade finally has a new, proper home after last year’s VPOD embarrassment: WCIU.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Looked at WGN’s Thanksgiving schedule, and it appears they’re not running Bozo, Gar & Ray this year, instead replacing it with the two Bozo’s Circus 1960s and 1970s specials.

Don't quote me on it, but I believe I saw that Bozo, Gar & Ray is airing on Sunday. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Before John Drury helped usher in the modern news department, the face of WGN News was Jack Taylor. We perhaps know him best from old broadcasts of the classic Night Beat. He passed away this weekend at 94, only retiring from any and all media work in the last few years.

Obituary, from earlier tonight:

Night Beat, 9/10/79:

Edited by 24994J

• 2 months later...
54 minutes ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

Btw, Micah Materre has been out since early February due to having back surgery. I hope she's doing well and can be back anchoring soon. 

Do you guys think Tom Skilling will cut back his schedule until his retirement or retire at the hours he has now? 

I hope Micah recovers, as well. I know back surgery is always hit or miss...

I could foresee Tom cutting out the nighttime newscasts and just keeping the 5pm and 6pm at some point.

Honestly, I'd be totally okay if they were to bounce the evening team to a 6pm start, giving the 4pm team an additional hour, unless they eventually envision a 3pm newscast for that crew, considering the bleak hellscape that is daytime syndication. That said, Skilling is gonna do what he damn well wants, as he damn well should. IF he were to cut back, I think he keeps the marquee late block. There's little reason to relegate him to their 2 weakest hours of the day (neck and neck with NBC5 for 2nd at 5pm, and an outright 3rd at 6pm).

As for Micah, I'd imagine they're in no rush for her to return, at this point. Her doctors are obviously calling the shots, and not her bosses, but with 2 election nights already missed and summer coming up quick, nothing major should be rushing her potential timeline.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Station just pulled out a release.

Traffic anchor Sarah Jindra and Daytime Chicago fill-in host Ji Suk Yi will host this new hourly show.

If Sarah Jindra is hosting, and if she's also going to be staying on the morning news, is it safe to say that Spotlight Chicago will probably be pre-recorded, either earlier in the day (that is, if the show will film daily), or perhaps well in advance (if they'll film multiple episodes at a time and churn them out later)? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

If Sarah Jindra is hosting, and if she's also going to be staying on the morning news, is it safe to say that Spotlight Chicago will probably be pre-recorded, either earlier in the day (that is, if the show will film daily), or perhaps well in advance (if they'll film multiple episodes at a time and churn them out later)? 

Can't link right now, but her last day on the morning news will be August 4th.

• 1 month later...

I don't know what on earth is happening to WGN News's Twitter feed (Nexstar AI experiment? Google bombing? The Morning News staff needing some reactive content for the week?), but these are...pieces the feed has posted today, credited to WTVO.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, 24994J said:

WITI reporter and Chicago-area native Brhett Vickery joins as morning traffic anchor.

https://wgntv.com/community/news-releases/brhett-vickery-to-join-wgn-morning-news-as-traffic-reporter/

Wow.  It only takes a five-year career to make it to WGN now. They might as well just start recruiting in Laredo or Eureka for that matter.