Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

• 1 month later...

Alyssa Donovan (WRTV) joins WGN as a meteorologist/reporter. Like almost every other hire, these days, she's a Chicago area native. I wouldn't put too much thought into where she fits, other than a fill-in, but the station is going to be very thin in the weather center, as the holidays approach. Morgan will be on maternity leave til the new year, and Skilling and Konrad get a ton of time off, and that leaves a lot of hours for the other 3 gentlemen, so I'm not surprised they're bringing in someone else.

Edited by 24994J

14 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

It's going to an obscure subchannel called VPOD TV (53.3).

Really hoping CFA strikes a deal next year to bring the parade back to WLS or WCIU.

Had WGN made this decision in January (or at the very least this past Summer), the CFA, ideally, would have had time to line up a TV sponsor. This is very unfortunate news because this would be the first time in 20+ years the parade isn't on a 'traditional' local television station.

Today was Julie Unruh's final newscast, and with the Arbery murder verdicts derailing the show, her tribute was moved to the very end of the noon hour, and the producers rightfully let the midday news run 4 minutes long to give a proper send-off. Ben Bradley delivered the retrospective, with cameos from Mark Suppelsa, ABC7's Paul Meincke, and Rod Blagojevich.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 3

On 11/17/2021 at 9:05 AM, 24994J said:

I live within a couple miles of this VPOD's location, and even I can't get their signal.

It's a move-in; it's what used to be channel 59 out of Peoria, WAOE, which is now licensed to Oswego and has suburban translators. They would've been better off buying paid programming time rather than doing this.

11 hours ago, 24994J said:

Today was Julie Unruh's final newscast, and with the Arbery murder verdicts derailing the show, her tribute was moved to the very end of the noon hour, and the producers rightfully let the midday news run 4 minutes long to give a proper send-off. Ben Bradley delivered the retrospective, with cameos from Mark Suppelsa, ABC7's Paul Meincke, and Rod Blagojevich.

For some odd reason, I wouldn’t be surprised if she pops up at 22 W Washington. 

You'd think that Lauren would play into succession plans, if they intend on maintaining two weeknight sports anchors, but they have like 8 freaking people in the building (not including Dan) who anchor sports, in some capacity. Payton seems like the favorite, but again, GN Sports is a co-anchored program. That other seat is up for grabs.

• 1 month later...