Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

2 minutes ago, jase said:

It’s my understanding NewsNation is expected to use that studio/space for their morning newscast (and other programs possibly). 

Unlikely WGN would have access to the studio after construction work is complete, but you never know.

The morning show was my first thought, too, but with 2 separate studio spaces, I couldn't convince myself into that making any sense. I thought maybe it could work as a generic presentation/performance area, available to either occupant, but you're probably right.

23 minutes ago, 24994J said:

The morning show was my first thought, too, but with 2 separate studio spaces, I couldn't convince myself into that making any sense. I thought maybe it could work as a generic presentation/performance area, available to either occupant, but you're probably right.

Having 1 main studio and mini one upstairs wouldn’t be enough for NN, so it makes sense for them to take over Studio 1.  

The days of indoor presentation/performance space is likely over for WGN. I would expect them to utilize space outdoors (weather permitting) for such things (or within their own studio/space).

Edited by jase

On 5/27/2021 at 3:33 PM, Georgie56 said:

Noooo that is misleading WMAQ WLS and WGN all tied with a 1.4. WGN hit the 1.4 at 9pm. WMAQ and WLS have 1.4 at 10pm.

WGN has 1.0 at 10pm. WFLD’s late news is at a 0.8. WBBM is running on fumes at 0.4.

So technically you are right but it’s not the whole story. I’ve been watching WMAQ , WLS is too sterile , WGN is too boring , WBBM good investigating reporting but everything else is a nightmare, and WFLD ticked me off when they got rid of Bill Bellis.

Edited by Newsboy22234

Feder finally talking about what we've known about for almost a month. Sometimes we kinda scoop.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2021/06/03/chicagos-goes-digital-wgn-news-now/

And with the digital duo getting an interview on the Midday News, does that effectively make them the midday B-team? 😂

https://wgntv.com/midday-news/meet-the-wgn-news-now-team/

Edited by 24994J

33 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Feder finally talking about what we've known about for almost a month. Sometimes we kinda scoop.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2021/06/03/chicagos-goes-digital-wgn-news-now/

And with the digital duo getting an interview on the Midday News, does that effectively make them the midday B-team? 😂

https://wgntv.com/midday-news/meet-the-wgn-news-now-team/

What I don't think we were aware of was WGN's foray into Spanish-language broadcasts with this platform... Which I agree with Feder is a wise move given the May Sweeps numbers... If only CBSN Chicago was that insightful with their digital platform!

52 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

What I don't think we were aware of was WGN's foray into Spanish-language broadcasts with this platform...

Ahem...

On 5/14/2021 at 11:37 PM, 24994J said:

A segment from the Spanish edition:

7 hours ago, 24994J said:

Q13 meteorologist and Oak Park native Tim Joyce is coming home to round out the weekend morning news team.

https://wgntv.com/news/tim-joyce-joins-wgn-news-as-wgn-weekend-morning-news-weather-anchor/

Nice to know that they were still interested in filling that position. I was concerned that they were never going to fill it due to cost-cutting measures. Welcome to the team, Tim!

• 2 weeks later...

This happened shortly after WGN went live last night. The camera was stuck on this view with Mike Janssen just talking in the background (not on cam), so a crew member was seen walking across the live camera shot.

I assume they were using that emergency feature where the meteorologist presses a button to go live and override master control, and by doing so, it just takes a single camera shot live in the weather center until the station has time to assemble a team in the control room.

20210620_230300.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Chicago's Best cancelled; GN Sports to air 7 nights a week:

https://www.robertfeder.com/2021/07/16/robservations-wgn-drops-chicagos-best-expands-gn-sports-weekends/

You have to wonder, why now, after all of the restaurants are starting to reopen, are all of the food shows getting cancelled, and food critics losing or stepping away from their jobs? Are they planning ahead for possibly yet another situation where restaurants get shut down due to the delta variant?

1 hour ago, Spring Rubber said:

Chicago's Best cancelled; GN Sports to air 7 nights a week:

https://www.robertfeder.com/2021/07/16/robservations-wgn-drops-chicagos-best-expands-gn-sports-weekends/

You have to wonder, why now, after all of the restaurants are starting to reopen, are all of the food shows getting cancelled, and food critics losing or stepping away from their jobs? Are they planning ahead for possibly yet another situation where restaurants get shut down due to the delta variant?

Also mentioned: WGN is launching a morning magazine show, Daytime Chicago, at 10am this fall, filling their schedule with local content from 4am-1pm daily. With Rachael Ray moving to afternoons, perhaps they're preparing for life after Maury?

57 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Also mentioned: WGN is launching a morning magazine show, Daytime Chicago, at 10am this fall, filling their schedule with local content from 4am-1pm daily. With Rachael Ray moving to afternoons, perhaps they're preparing for life after Maury?

Life after Maury sounds like a good thing to me. I used to work in an office where we'd have a TV in the waiting room. We would have loved to keep WGN on all day, but thanks to trash like Maury, we simply couldn't.

A WGN sports show on Sundays has been missed since they phased out Instant Replay, but still very disappointed to see Chicago's Best go. No way they couldn't have found a better time slot. That said, hopefully some of that content will have a home on the new 10am show, or even on other newscasts. As the restaurant industry picks back up, the list of those covering it and giving a voice to those businesses has been decimated this year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

TVNewsCheck is reporting that Tonya Francisco and Amy Rutledge will be the hosts of the new Daytime Chicago show. 

This means Amy Rutledge comes back to WGN after being co-host of now cancelled "The Jam" on WCIU. It also means that someone will have to take over Tonya's weekend morning position unless they decided to go solo.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:15 PM, NBC 5 Chicago said:

TVNewsCheck is reporting that Tonya Francisco and Amy Rutledge will be the hosts of the new Daytime Chicago show. 

This means Amy Rutledge comes back to WGN after being co-host of now cancelled "The Jam" on WCIU. It also means that someone will have to take over Tonya's weekend morning position unless they decided to go solo.

Nexstar actually posted the weekend morning anchor position in the careers category 

WGN would consolidate the arguably redundant midday and 4pm anchor chairs before they returned the weekend morning show to a solo format. Not that Tonya wasn't right for such a transition, but with the Tim Joyce hiring and a blank slate of possibilities at co-anchor, I wouldn't be shocked if they attempt to build up the weekend morning team like they did at 4am and 4pm. Fill the anchor spot, make Marcella Raymond official as the Around Town-ish reporter, then add a 4th wheel to the desk to serve in a trending/entertainment/sports role, and they'd be all set.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, cfs89 said:

Sneak peek at the set for the new 10am "Daytime Chicago" daily show with Tonya Francisco and Amy Rutledge that launches next month.

Looks like it's in the historic Studio 1 where Bozo's Circus was taped from 1961-2001. https://twitter.com/thederekhaas/status/1428105448180301828

IMG_20210825_092705.jpg

Nice setup. Figured NewsNation was going to take over this studio for their new morning show.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...